Kokiwanee Nature Preserve Trail

Kokiwanee Nature Preserve Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lagro, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This loop in Kokiwanee Nature Preserve is a pleasant escape. With multiple trails to make your adventure as long or short as you choose. The highlight of your adventure is a stop at Kissing Falls in the southeast corner of the preserve.

Some forks in the trail are not marked at all, so this turned a bit into a guessing game. When you get to the parking lot, go on the unmarked wider trail and just a bit farther down will be a sign. We went with young children and took the wrong one from the start, which added a lot of time. It was pretty, but our kids were over it by the time we actually found the waterfall.

Also, the day we went there were a LOT of active spiderwebs that we had to gently push through. (ALL had spiders in them.) Just be prepared for that.

But this was very beautiful and only about 40 mins from SW Fort Wayne.

Took the whole family. Loved the trail. Beautiful area to spend part of the day in.

This was a great escape! Fairly moderate trails, quite enjoyable.

Nice shaded trail! The waterfall was cool! Will definitely return!

Shaded trail great for walking your fur babies. Nice little waterfall with a stream along the trail.

Drove from Ft Wayne to do a photo session with our dogs and we were not disappointed! We’ve gone to all the trails around the city and wanted to go somewhere with more...everything! This was it! The trails were well maintained and well directed. Our dogs had a blast during the session at the waterfall and we had a blast watching them! Will come back, for sure!

I'm a beginner, I thought this trail was fun, beautiful, and would come back without a doubt. Scenic waterfalls and views of the river and nature in general.

Absolutely one of my favorite local hikes! Many trails to choose from featuring a pond, a river, and a few small waterfalls! Kokiwanee has it all!

Average trail. But the waterfall was cool.

This is one of the nicest spots along this stretch of the Wabash River valley.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Nice hike back to the river and to see some small waterfalls. Start at the trailhead and go west, trail gets more interesting as you go. Couple short climbs and foot work make you breathe a little harder.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

my favorite place to hike, it can be easy if you want, or vigorous if you like climbing, the kids love to play in the waterfalls. very peaceful

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Awesome, variety of trails. Not super well marked, but all the ones we were on seemed to link back up with the waterfall.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Loved the solitude & the peace there! Not paved, but natural trails!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Is a great place to visit with my family. The big shelter along the river will allow for summer picnics. We will definitely be back.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

The Kokiwanee Trails are mostly easy but worth the visit. There are waterfalls, a lake and a river. I always see eagles along the river. Kokiwanee is great for dogs too. I suggest taking the time if you are looking for a peaceful experience.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Loved it! I enjoyed seeing the outbuildings of sorts though dilapidated. Also nice overlooking the Salamonie River. think I would love to come back even with a little bit of snow on the ground it would be beautiful.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Wonderful scenery! Very well maintained and open trails.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Complete this scenic hike in an afternoon. We backpacked into the campsite along Bloodroot Trail, and the next morning drove to the Kokiwannee trail head. A lot to explore despite only being a few hundred acres. Trail as marked on AllTrails is incomplete. Go to the ACRES Landtrust website to get an accurate map. I would like to try it again at the height of spring wildflowers.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Lots of cool trails here. Most trails are fairly easy. I like the trails following the river the best. Lots of small waterfalls and cliffs.

Friday, April 15, 2016

I love it here! Great rugged trails, far more then what's listed on this map! What beautiful views! If your looking for a nice walk in the woods this is a great place to start!

Monday, March 28, 2016

This trail map shown here is NOT accurate. There are many trails that are not shown and a total of around 5 miles. Not 1.4 m. Someone with Pro access needs to up-date this map. We recommend everyone to hike this trail system, it is a nice moderate hike and beautiful, rugged along the river. We loved it !

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Super easy route. Nice trail. Would be good for cross country skiing

Monday, September 14, 2015

I have been hiking and camping across the river from this preserve at the Salamonie River State Forest for years and never knew this place existed. Very nice and quiet hike with good views of the rivers and several small waterfalls. There are many intersecting trails which got confusing, and resulted in some wrong turns but I will definitely come back when I have more time to spend.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Nice park with lots of trails. Some of the trails have fallen trees in the pathway. Lots of scenery to see including waterfalls and ponds. Still lots of bugs and easy to get lots with all the splitting trails. Would do it again.

Friday, July 03, 2015

Me and my wife had a photographer follow us down to these trails for our engagement pictures. There are at least three nice waterfalls on this trail. If you go to the boat ramp here is a big waterfall on your left if you venture up the trail.

Monday, June 29, 2015

Flooding & heavy storm damage has made the trails even more fun. Our dogs loved that the one bridge was out and we had to cross the stream below.

The waterfall (Kissing Falls) is gorgeous right now.

Nice side trip for this & Tel Hy/Pehkokia in Huntington since Bloodroot Trail was closed due to flooding.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

This is a favorite hike of ours- be sure to stop at other local hikes too: Hanging Rock, Hathaway at Ross Run and Asherwood.

Main feature is three waterfalls, a limestone riverbed, a pond and some moderately difficult hiking. You can park at the "easy" end and find the waterfalls quickly, but we always prefer walking the entire park. Print a map first (off the ACRES website) and bring bug spray & a hiking pole!

Also, don't let the sign leading down to the other waterfalls worry you- aside from a slim trail where you need to watch your footing from time to time, the most difficult part of that loop is getting up & down the "staircase"!

Tuesday, September 09, 2014

This was a great place for a Sunday afternoon hike. A nice moderate hike along the river, small ravines, a waterfall and lake. The trails are well maintained and you can do as many as you like. I think you would have to do every trail there in order to get in the 5 miles.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

This is a terrific hike for any level, as long as you pick your trails carefully. There weren't any maps in the sign-in box, but fortunately I was prepared with one I had from a hiking book. There is a maze of trails going every direction and it is fun to follow each one to see where it goes! You could easily spend hours here and keep finding new things. This is a former girl scout camp and it makes me sad to think that our girls are no longer going here. It's beautiful! If you go, just make sure you bring plenty of bug spray!