Knobstone Trail: Spurgeon Hollow to Delaney Park

Knobstone Trail: Spurgeon Hollow to Delaney Park is a 11 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Scottsburg, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We camped at Delaney Park (which is beautiful) with our scout troop. We hiked the Delaney park loop the first day and the Spurgeon Hollow Loop the second day. Both loops were great hikes. The rating of 'Hard' is accurate. There were many downed trees and muddy spots which added to the adventure! There was a section on the southern part of the Spurgeon Loop that was as beautiful a place as I have ever seen! Would recommend this to experienced hikers. Looking forward to hiking the rest of the KT sometime!

Great trail!

it was a good trail, harder than I expected but still not too bad, I went after a couple hard rains so most of it was flooded, but not impassable, as long as you don't mind a little wading

I have backpacked this loop several times over the years. This trail is typical of what you can expect on the KT. It is wonderful for training for the AT or Philmont. Last completed in June of 2016. It is great to see the northern portion opened again after being closed in 2014 & 2015. It is exactly what you would expect for the KT. Bring trekking poles - while the climbs are not long they do take a toll. Not for the beginning backpacker.

We did 11 miles last fall. This trail lets you get warmed up for about the first 4 miles, then after that your getting a work out.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Friday, January 02, 2015

Completed a portion of the trail at Delaney Park. Parts were closed, so we had to make up some of our own route. One of the more challenging trails in Indiana.

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

A fun day hike and a grat place to play in the woods. This is the section of trail that I most frequent on the KT.

Saturday, April 05, 2014

I actually hiked the delaney park loop which is not listed on trails.com. It was not very well maintained and was closed down but I hiked it anyway. You have to search for blazes and it's really easy to get off the trail.

Monday, October 21, 2013

This is loop trail covering 6+ miles. Starting @ the trailhead by the lake the trail is flat & very easy with nice wooded forest. Trail was dry, but my brother, who has hiked this before in the early spring, said that it can be a bit sloppy in places. After close to 2 & 1/2 miles trail makes left turn & begins a steep ascent, which doesn't last too long. Upon arriving on a ridge, you will be glad to hear that most of the rest of the trail will be mostly flat. Eventually you will come to a gravel road & you will go left & continue following the white blazes. At around mile 4 & 1/2, the trail will start to decend. Be careful, lots of places to lose your footing on the way down. Hiking stick is highly recommended. When you arrive back @ the lake, go right onto the trail & it will take you back to parking lot. I would rate this as moderate given the distance, with a short difficult ascent. Enjoyed it tremendously. My brother & I hiked this in October in sunny chilly weather. I was visiting from Western North Carolina.

Monday, October 03, 2011

From Delaney Park to Elk Creek Park, Beautiful and tough, climbs are steep and close. With a heavy backpack makes it a very hard trip. But love it, enjoy it, best keep secret in Indiana. Did not make all the way to Elk Creek, was picked up at highway 56.