Knobstone Trail: Spurgeon Hollow to Delaney Park is a 10.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Scottsburg, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I think that I am really liking this trail. We have already had a water crossing.

The trail was very good marked and maintained pretty good as well. We went early on a Saturday and just saw one parked car but met no other hikers at all. We saw a few deers, chipmunks and beautiful wildflowers. There were some spider webs but not an awful lot, we experienced worse. The flies were kinda annoying though. The only downside and the reason for not giving this one 5 stars is the amount of flies, mosquitos and that we got attacked by mini ticks. Long pants, long socks and anti tick spray on shoes, socks and pants didn’t hold them back. Besides that it was a really pretty and strenuous trail. I’d suggest to start the loop by going left, then you’ll start out with a couple of climbs and the second half is mostly flat. I’d defiantly do this one again, but I’d check for the mini ticks every couple of hours. Those are nasty!

Hiked the whole 11 mile, 1600+ elevation, hills, tight ridge passes, climbs as good as it gets for nontechnical. Red pines at 870, , no droning traffic noises, very very lightly trafficked. Amazing time. Whoever designed this trail must receive a medal. Why 15 reviews? It may not be pet/kid friendly but it is definitely serious hiker friendly.

Challenging!

Did the Delaney park loop 3-28-18 and even with water and downed trees, it was a blast! I agree with all written, poles a must, water shoes good idea and training! The ridges were beautiful and the trail blazes were wonderful and completely visible. Having a map is really really a good idea though. I did not camp but carried 35 pound pack for a through trip this summer. Great to get a feel for it and cannot wait to get back. Delaney park campground was really nice too. Well worth the training and not for the inexperienced as foot paths are tricky on the ups and downs. Don’t hurry. Enjoy the views and the workout! Again, beware of water crossings- but I do realize I went in the wet season. I simply changed my shoes and it was fine for me to go back and forth. As of now, the lakeside trail part is mid- calf deep- no way around it otherwise. So, I went left first at the trailhead and was glad I did to finish in the water. Well marked, it just seems to take forever to get to the next mile marker because of the terrain but well worth the effort! I’m a fan of Knobstone for sure! Looking forward to the next hike there already. Take plenty of water!

Saturday, June 03, 2017

We camped at Delaney Park (which is beautiful) with our scout troop. We hiked the Delaney park loop the first day and the Spurgeon Hollow Loop the second day. Both loops were great hikes. The rating of 'Hard' is accurate. There were many downed trees and muddy spots which added to the adventure! There was a section on the southern part of the Spurgeon Loop that was as beautiful a place as I have ever seen! Would recommend this to experienced hikers. Looking forward to hiking the rest of the KT sometime!

Monday, May 15, 2017

Great trail!

Saturday, January 21, 2017

it was a good trail, harder than I expected but still not too bad, I went after a couple hard rains so most of it was flooded, but not impassable, as long as you don't mind a little wading

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

I have backpacked this loop several times over the years. This trail is typical of what you can expect on the KT. It is wonderful for training for the AT or Philmont. Last completed in June of 2016. It is great to see the northern portion opened again after being closed in 2014 & 2015. It is exactly what you would expect for the KT. Bring trekking poles - while the climbs are not long they do take a toll. Not for the beginning backpacker.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

We did 11 miles last fall. This trail lets you get warmed up for about the first 4 miles, then after that your getting a work out.

Friday, January 02, 2015

Completed a portion of the trail at Delaney Park. Parts were closed, so we had to make up some of our own route. One of the more challenging trails in Indiana.

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

A fun day hike and a grat place to play in the woods. This is the section of trail that I most frequent on the KT.

Saturday, April 05, 2014

I actually hiked the delaney park loop which is not listed on trails.com. It was not very well maintained and was closed down but I hiked it anyway. You have to search for blazes and it's really easy to get off the trail.

Monday, October 21, 2013

This is loop trail covering 6+ miles. Starting @ the trailhead by the lake the trail is flat & very easy with nice wooded forest. Trail was dry, but my brother, who has hiked this before in the early spring, said that it can be a bit sloppy in places. After close to 2 & 1/2 miles trail makes left turn & begins a steep ascent, which doesn't last too long. Upon arriving on a ridge, you will be glad to hear that most of the rest of the trail will be mostly flat. Eventually you will come to a gravel road & you will go left & continue following the white blazes. At around mile 4 & 1/2, the trail will start to decend. Be careful, lots of places to lose your footing on the way down. Hiking stick is highly recommended. When you arrive back @ the lake, go right onto the trail & it will take you back to parking lot. I would rate this as moderate given the distance, with a short difficult ascent. Enjoyed it tremendously. My brother & I hiked this in October in sunny chilly weather. I was visiting from Western North Carolina.

Monday, October 03, 2011

From Delaney Park to Elk Creek Park, Beautiful and tough, climbs are steep and close. With a heavy backpack makes it a very hard trip. But love it, enjoy it, best keep secret in Indiana. Did not make all the way to Elk Creek, was picked up at highway 56.

Sunday, July 30, 2017