Knobstone Trail: Leota to Elk Creek

Knobstone Trail: Leota to Elk Creek is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Scottsburg, Indiana that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I really enjoyed this trail although it is tough and not for beginners. I highly recommend taking trekking poles. I did not have them and it was still doable but there are several tough areas where they would come in handy! There are a lot of elevation changes. Definitely a difficult trail and like I said before, not for beginners, but it’s beautiful! Word of advice, look for the white marks on trees if you aren’t sure where to go or if you lose the trail for a minute. Some areas can get a little confusing but the white marks on the trees helped keep me on track.

I will say this trail is not for everyone. It's was a great workout. Great elevation changes. I took my dog and he was in heaven . There was plenty of spots for him to cool down and lay in a pool and take a drink of water. I didn't see one other person, so I let him off leash. I'm definitely gonna come back. Some great little spots along the trail to camp that have already been set up. Nice little hidden gem.

Didn't do the entire section as I was only going for a long day hike. But I have to say I loved this trail! When the weather warms up a little I fully plan to bring my pack and do some overnight hiking. The trail had some tough spots that were hard even without a pack. But it's manageable. And if your looking for a good workout, a quiet isolated place for a few nights, this is perfect. This is a perfect trail for those who respect and enjoy the solitude only Mother Nature can offer. Beautiful place.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

We hiked this section this spring. My wife was recovering from knee surgery . Would like to go back and try again , now that my wife is fully recovered