Knobstone Trail: Leota to Elk Creek

Knobstone Trail: Leota to Elk Creek is a 12.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Scottsburg, Indiana that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I loved this trail, it was pretty well maintained with just a couple trees down. There wasn’t much in the way of scenic outlooks due to the thick canopies. I camped the first day close to the lake and spent the next day hiking the trail and then returning the same day, which was much tougher than I had imagined it would be. This trail promises a hardcore leg workout, which gave me a great sense of accomplishment after I’d given my calves a much needed rest.
Besides a few people loading boats into the lake, I never saw another person for my two days there, which I certainly didn’t mind. Another thing about this trail was that I didn’t notice many areas where someone could setup a camp due to the constant inclines and declines of the hills. I ended up using permethrin and only had two bites while I was there, although I did find three ticks on my shoes as well. The little flies were driving me crazy as they dive-bombed my ears and eyes, but this is pretty much the case on any trail this time of year.

Great trail. May 2018 backpacking trip for our Scout Troop, shakedown hike for an Alaska backcountry trip in July. All the elevation changes had a few of us adults smoked, but the Scouts did awesome! We got caught out in a thunderstorm, but the trail conditions held up nicely. Blazes were reasonably easy to follow. Unfortunately, no real place to camp on the western end of the trail if you have a very large group (17 hikers) like we did), although there's a really pretty spot overlooking the lake if you're just one or two. "HARD" rating well deserved.

I really enjoyed this trail although it is tough and not for beginners. I highly recommend taking trekking poles. I did not have them and it was still doable but there are several tough areas where they would come in handy! There are a lot of elevation changes. Definitely a difficult trail and like I said before, not for beginners, but it’s beautiful! Word of advice, look for the white marks on trees if you aren’t sure where to go or if you lose the trail for a minute. Some areas can get a little confusing but the white marks on the trees helped keep me on track.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

I will say this trail is not for everyone. It's was a great workout. Great elevation changes. I took my dog and he was in heaven . There was plenty of spots for him to cool down and lay in a pool and take a drink of water. I didn't see one other person, so I let him off leash. I'm definitely gonna come back. Some great little spots along the trail to camp that have already been set up. Nice little hidden gem.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Didn't do the entire section as I was only going for a long day hike. But I have to say I loved this trail! When the weather warms up a little I fully plan to bring my pack and do some overnight hiking. The trail had some tough spots that were hard even without a pack. But it's manageable. And if your looking for a good workout, a quiet isolated place for a few nights, this is perfect. This is a perfect trail for those who respect and enjoy the solitude only Mother Nature can offer. Beautiful place.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

We hiked this section this spring. My wife was recovering from knee surgery . Would like to go back and try again , now that my wife is fully recovered

Tuesday, June 13, 2017