Knobstone Trail

Knobstone Trail is a 40.4 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Salem, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

geocaching

Lots of spiders right now and no water. Wait until middle fall to late fall to hike this trail

My wife and I are beginner backpackers and decided on the Knobstone Trail for our first experience.....FAIL!!! This trail is a great trail...but very challenging. You need to be in good shape. We did not prepare well enough. On our way to the trail we cached water at Elk Creek and at Oxley trail heads. We stayed the night at Delaney Park the night prior to our hike and had a shuttle ride to Leota in the morning and then preceeded to hike back north to Delaney. Day one was punishing... constant up and downs...I mean CONSTANT. We were hurting. We only made it from Mile Marker 25 to about 31 1/2. We found a killer established campsite overlooking ElkCreek Lake. Got up the next morning and headed towards Oxley for our next water cache. We were hoping for easier time...however 2nd verse same as the first... UP and DOWN... climb -descend and repeat. It was painful. My wife was ready to give up. We finally got to our cache at Oxley and someone/something had messed with one of our jugs so we only had one. We decided to keep going for a while and made it to another awesome campsite at about Mile Marker 40. Our bodies were broke by this point. woke up in the morning and headed out to complete our hike at Delaney. The 3rd day was perfect hiking for us. There were a couple of ups and downs...but there was alot of flat walking which we really enjoyed. WARNING!!!!! There is a reroute around 40 1/2ish mile where you have to walk down a gravel road. There is a house on this road and there are 4 dogs that will come out barking and growling. Just keep walking...don't look at them and don't mess with them... we just walked right on through them and they left us alone. Funny story short... we had been passed by 3 DNR officers before the dog issue and then we ran into the same officers later and they said... "see you survived the dogs" What the ****!!! you guys could not have warned us. Anyways... great hike the rest of the way to Delaney and bam we were done. This was soooo hard...but I feel awesome now. I loved it and I plan on finishing the trail soon. My wife, well she says she will never step foot on the trail again :). FYI... if you buy the Knobstone guide book off Amazon.. it is old and the mile marks are off. There was also plenty of water for us to filter if we needed to.

Very challenging hike but worth it.

Great trail. We hiked from Deam Lake to Spurgeon Hollow approx 45 miles. Parts of the trail could use some up keep due to fallen trees but overall great conditions.

Parked at the Deam Lake trailhead and hiked north to the Oxley Memorial trailhead on E. Banes Hollow Rd. 4 days 3 nights on late March. This trail was no joke with how steep the climbs were. Had some weird areas of what looked like an abandoned logging site for a few miles so there were just a whole bunch of cut down trees everywhere but for the most part it was good. Some good view as well. Also if you plan to do this trail, there are established campsites along the trail that i wish were marked somewhere. Most of them are at the tops of climbs and some have some amazing views for sunsets and sunrises. Not an easy trail.

I'm down to about 16 miles of this trail left.

Backpacked between Pixley Knob Road and Deam Lake Trailhead. There had been some really nasty storms go through so we were not suprised to find several downed trees. Most could be climbed over but several required hike arounds. Trail was very clearly marked. Some significant climbs on this stretch. 2012 tornado damage area was spectacular to see.

nice trail, if blow down from tornado is removed will be even better. Lots of elevation change.

Monday, August 08, 2016

It's a good challenge. Lots of hills. The clear cuts that the trail goes through were terrible. No markers in those areas( all the trees with markers were taken down) and easy to get turned around in. Kind of makes you wonder why they call it resource management. Could definitely use some basic maintenance, but overall a good trail.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Just hiked from the Oxley to the elk creek trailhead. The map said it was a little over 5m but my garmin gps showed almost 10m. We never got lost or went off trail so I'm not sure what is up with that. This is a challenging trail by the time I reached the last hill (felt like a mountain) I was beat.

Monday, April 13, 2015

Ok, this one got my heart beat up a bit!

Friday, November 14, 2014

6 times 4 stars

Monday, May 26, 2014

Not for beginners. Great challenge, and good scenery.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Great trail can't wait to hike the whole thing.