Knobstome GSM Trail

Knobstome GSM Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Plattsburg, Indiana that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

I hiked this trail counterclockwiase on a Saturday afternoon in early April. The trail was only wet in a few spots mostly near Spurgeon Lake. There was quite a variety of wild flowers: Jacob's Ladder, Trout Lily, White Trillium, Prairie Trillium, Phlox, Violets and Wood Poppy. There were a few trees down across the trail, but all had been made passable.

The terrain is pretty rugged and there were a few good vistas as the trees had not leafed out yet.

The trails is generally well maintained and marked, but there are two places where the trail runs straight down hill and the trail is severely eroded.

I spoke with a local fisherman after I got back to the trailhead and he said there are hills out there a billy goat wouldn't climb. He was referring to the second of the eroded spots, near the end of my route, where reinforcing bars that had held landscape timbers were protruding several inches out of the ground on steep, eroded slope. I wished I had my trekking poles.