Hiking Trail 10

Hiking Trail 10 is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Columbus, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Follows ridge behind fire tower before looping northward crossing deep ravines and hilltops.

A nice hike with a couple of challenging climbs. It is best to hike this trail in a clockwise direction. This allows you to take a short rest at the CCC shelter before finishing the last quarter mile back to the trailhead.

A great hike with a number of steep inclines. The lookout building makes for a nice resting point.

This trail has a step ascent that makes swift walking difficult for those with breathing obstruction.

Challenging elevation changes. Very peaceful.

It was pretty dry, but I can see that if it was muddy it would be almost impossible.

Great trail!

Fairly difficult hike but worth it.

Nice hike. No one around today.

It really makes no difference if you take this trail clockwise or counterclockwise! This trail can get pretty muddy after a good rain.

*NOTE* This trail is not ideal for older adults or individuals with mobility issues. If you're planning a trip with someone who needs these sorts of considerations, I recommend the Discovery Trail behind the Nature Center, the paved Friends Trail next to the fire tower, or possibly Trail 6 around Strahl Lake if they're up for a little bit more of a challenge!

A favorite trail from my years in Indiana. The last time I visited was right before I moved to Colorado, and my mom and I trekked out and back instead of around the loop. I hiked with my dog and a fully loaded pack, and I would still/also rate this hike as moderate, though the final hills on the way back do feel steep if you've been hoofing it the whole time.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Hiked it in the rain so it was pretty muddy and slick, but the fog/mist gave it a mystical quality. Not much in the way of panoramic views but the surrounding countryside was pretty. The hike is rated as "Hard", but I am not even an avid hiker and I would probably list it as Moderate (a few inclines to get the heart pumping but nothing seriously challenging). Definitely recommend hiking boots - especially if the ground is wet.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Nice little hike half of it is down hill and half up hill watch out for the rattle snakes.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

I wouldn't label this trail as "hard" but I hike a lot. I did this trail after doing trail 7 and 8 and did not feel overly exerted once finished. Nice wide trail. Many muddy spots, but if it has been a few days since it has rained there is usually enough dry edge to avoid the mud.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Great trail, long amounts of downhill with a good finish of climbing back up.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Arduous. Went after prolonged rain. Trail was washed out in areas. Good workout.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

It was muddy, but a fun trail. We climbed the fire watch tower too.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Great trail. Nice views. Hiked it clockwise. Nice elevation changes. Very easy to follow.

Tuesday, December 08, 2015

We have hiked this trail many times. We prefer to hike it clockwise. Either way you will have to walk uphill at the end. We think the climb is gentler in the clockwise direction.

Monday, September 07, 2015

Great up and down trail. Follow the loop to the right for an easier incline at the end

Monday, May 18, 2015

Went early morning (0530). Great hike that can get the heart pumping, saw many deer and other wildlife.