Clifty Falls Trails 8 & 2

Clifty Falls Trails 8 & 2 is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Madison, Indiana that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

trail 2 is excellent, best trail there especially because it's low traffi,. there is no trespassing signs near the waterfall but no one ever stops us from going to it, and it's safe. my gf and I take trail 2 as warm ups before doing long backcountry packing trips.

Great but long, if you take trail 2 the creek way the rocky trail both beautiful and challenging

I love this trail. It is a large amount of traversing over creek rock. As you get closer to the waterfall the creek rock turns to boulders, but is definitely worth the climb. You are not permitted to go below the waterfall, as there are no trespassing signs once you get there, but there is an observation area that gives you a great look. The observation area requires you to climb ladders to get there, but if you can handle the trail up to this point, it should be no problem.

did this trail with my dog and for kids ranging ages 12 to 9 years old. we had a great time! Trail to is I Walk Alone the creek bed so you will get your feet wet. then Trail 8 is an uphill Trail to leave. there were some spots where I was glad I had a walking stick with me. overall a good little late afternoon hike with kids to get out and see nature.

TRAIL 2 and 8 DO NOT CONNECT AT NORTH END. Trail 2 is an out and back trail if you go all the way up to the waterfall. you would need to hike back down to trails 5 or 8 to exit trail 2.

TRAIL 2 IS ALSO VERY RUGGED. it is literally in the creekbed of the river. you will get wet, and depending on how much rain there has been it could be nearly impassable at parts. I would not recommend this trail for kids or children.

Having said that, my SO and I did all the trails in the park and trail 2 was the most scenic and the least traveled. The view of the waterfall when you get up to the end of trail 2 is just surreal. I proposed to my SO at the end of trail 2 (base of big clifty) and it was just stunning scenery.

an alternative to get to trail 2 is to park at structure B (oak grove shelter) and then hike trail 5 to 2. this would also be an out and back route

A great trail with great scenery

A beautiful hike. We started at the end by the inn and easily followed 8 out, coming back we jumped along several trails by the falls and on the loop back. Take a trail map! The route had some ups and downs and also some rocky areas and stairs We had two dogs along, and the stairs and rocks were challenging for our one with mobility issues in one back leg. But he made it and loved it! Saw a few tiny flowers and many others getting ready to bloom.

8 is a great trail with lots of views of the gorge below. Clifty creek (trail 2) was running high and swift. I crossed it and did trails 3/4/5/6/7 to see all the falls and make a 9.5 mile loop.

I dont know how to create new rails on here but 8 AND 2 ARE COMPLETELY SEPARATE TRAILS!!!! Here are my main take aways of this trail: 1) I can not vouch for 8 because I did not hike it, but trail 2 IS NOT EASY!!! I am an experienced hiker and trail 2 is nearly 5 miles of the most rugged trail Ive ever been on. And in my opinion it is the most rugged trail, per foot, in all of Indiana. Sure, trails like the KT trail are much longer, but for 5 miles this is a butt kicker. This trail is deceptively long because of how rugged it is. Children will slow you down and if you are elderly or handicapped you will NOT BE ABLE TO HIKE THIS TRAIL.
2) If you are traveling north on this trail wanting to see Cliffty Falls you will be "stuck" on trail 2 for the last 15-20 minutes and this is the most rugged area. What I mean by stuck is that the nearby trail 7 & 8 are not accessible so youll see the falls and then return back down trail 2 to leave.
3) Trail 2 is 100% creek bed. So prepare to get wet and prepare for non stop bolder hopping. Just did this trail yesterday and my entire pelvis is sore from the constant twisting and turning your legs are doing trying to stay balanced from rock to rock.
4) This is a beautiful trail with a great water fall at the end. But do not be tricked, you will have to earn the view. THIS TRAIL IS VERY RUGGED!!!!

Friday, June 23, 2017

My favorite park in Indiana. To get to Big Clifty (large waterfall in my photos) you must travel all the way up trail 2, which is the creek bed, to the point where there is a sign saying 'danger do not cross'. From this point, to your right will be a small opening with a hidden wooden ladder to climb. Once you climb up there is a wooden walk way that leads to an overlook to view big Clifty from.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

First time visiting this State Park, well maintained, as stated in other reviews, considering the location of the park(Indiana) it's a little Oasis. The Park has Trails listed as 1-9, Id advise locating a map if you are not familiar, the trail heads are well marked and routes are obvious. That is until you start on Trail/Section 2 (River Bottom). I was very disappointed in what little work has been done on this portion in comparison to the rest. You basically wonder along the drainage, crossing back and forth over the creek making your own route. At the least I would really like to see the Park utilize the standard practice of blazing trees to indicate your on the right route. If you are in the Oldham, Henry County areas and looking for a trail Id highly recommend, this trail is listed as Hard, I feel a more accurate rating would be Easy into Moderate, elevation gain in minimal, and 90% of the trails are well maintained with stairs, boardwalks, railings, etc. when ascending and descending.

Sunday, August 13, 2017