Clifty Falls State Park Loop Trail

Clifty Falls State Park Loop Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Madison, Indiana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Note: the park has an entrance fee of $7 if you are from Indiana and $9 if you're not

I have hiked this loop many times. If you have a park map, you have to patch the loop together; To acheive the outer loop, you hike 3,4, and 5. At the end of 5, in order to make it a loop, you have to do a water crossing and scramble up and bank to meet trail 6 (or you can do an additional 1 mile road walk to avoid the crossing). Continue on 6 to 7, then meet up with 8 at the north side of the park. Take 8 all the way along the west side then hook up with 2/3 at the southern end (water crossing). I have measure this to be a 7.5 mile loop. I like this hike because it is very scenic and I can do a quick 7 miles in 2.5 - 3 hours

I have no idea why they call this the "loop trail". If you get the park map, which you should, youll realize this "loop" shown here is a combination of several separate trails. There is no trail called "loop trail" at the park. Basically there are three main trail segments. Trail 8 goes along the west side of the ravine, trail 2 goes up the middle of the ravine, and trail 7, in combination with other trials, covers the east side of the ravine. I know trail 2 is 5 miles so I dont see how going all the way around could be 5 miles, Im sure its more like 8 at least. These trails are rugged-moderate with several great things to see along the east side. I have not traveled trail 8 (west side) but all the main attractions are found on the east side of the ravine on trails 5-7.

The falls were nearly dry, but it was a nice walk in the woods.

this is one of my favorite places to hike. depending on the trail you take this can be a rough hike or very moderate. the falls are just amazing.

this was our first visit to clifty falls and I must say, we very much enjoyed our day! the park is beautiful and well maintained. we started at trail head 8 and followed 8 until it met 1, 2, 3, and 4. we then took trail 1 to the lookout tower, 1 back to 3 and 4 to hoffman falls. after hiking back up the canyon to see hoffman falls, we decided to take the road to tunnel falls. next time we visit clifty falls we will take trail 8 and 2; although we did get an 8.5 miles in!

A beautiful cliff-filled hidden gem in Indiana. We started on trail 5 by Tunnel Falls and connected to trail 2 (the creek bed), then followed that to Big Clifty waterfall and back.

Trail 2 is the most difficult trail I've ever taken, because it's not really a trail - it's a mostly dry creek bed full of large rocks and fossils. It's hard to sightsee because you're watching your feet most of the time to avoid spraining your ankles on the boulders. But when you stop for a second, it's really beautiful. Just make sure you come prepared for a long, hard hike.

Big Clifty Falls itself was a little disappointing because it's mostly hidden around a bend and closer access is roped off, no hikers allowed. Climbing the boulders close to it is neat though. Tunnel Falls was a nicer view.

Definitely take the cave tunnel on 5 if it's open - that was a nice cool break from the heat, and worth the detour.

On the way back we missed the turn on to 5 from 2 (it's not well marked, unlike most other trail crossings) and wound up taking 4 out of the canyon instead. Did a total of 6 hard, beautiful miles over about 3 hours.