Clifty Falls State Park Loop Trail

Clifty Falls State Park Loop Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Madison, Indiana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

this was our first visit to clifty falls and I must say, we very much enjoyed our day! the park is beautiful and well maintained. we started at trail head 8 and followed 8 until it met 1, 2, 3, and 4. we then took trail 1 to the lookout tower, 1 back to 3 and 4 to hoffman falls. after hiking back up the canyon to see hoffman falls, we decided to take the road to tunnel falls. next time we visit clifty falls we will take trail 8 and 2; although we did get an 8.5 miles in!

A beautiful cliff-filled hidden gem in Indiana. We started on trail 5 by Tunnel Falls and connected to trail 2 (the creek bed), then followed that to Big Clifty waterfall and back.

Trail 2 is the most difficult trail I've ever taken, because it's not really a trail - it's a mostly dry creek bed full of large rocks and fossils. It's hard to sightsee because you're watching your feet most of the time to avoid spraining your ankles on the boulders. But when you stop for a second, it's really beautiful. Just make sure you come prepared for a long, hard hike.

Big Clifty Falls itself was a little disappointing because it's mostly hidden around a bend and closer access is roped off, no hikers allowed. Climbing the boulders close to it is neat though. Tunnel Falls was a nicer view.

Definitely take the cave tunnel on 5 if it's open - that was a nice cool break from the heat, and worth the detour.

On the way back we missed the turn on to 5 from 2 (it's not well marked, unlike most other trail crossings) and wound up taking 4 out of the canyon instead. Did a total of 6 hard, beautiful miles over about 3 hours.

Excellent day of hiking. Trail 2 is a quiet rocky stream-bed journey with countless slow stream crossings. Trail 5 and 4 have some steep climbs to nice views. The Park has a $9 entry fee (exact change required) for out of staters.

I did a bit more than the loop. I started at the North end of trail 8 and picked up 3 after I crossed the creek. Then I picked up 4 and followed it until it met 5. I chose to walk around the road to pick up 6 and followed that all the way out via 7. Every minute spent on the trail was beautiful! Trail 5 is definitely rugged. The smaller Falls were pretty, plenty of varied landscape. Next hike I'll take trail 2 up to the big Falls.

Love coming here. it's all around great!

Awesome trails with gorgeous views. Some of the trails were a bit more rugged, had to climb over several fallen trees and trail 8 has a very steep incline, but the majority is fairly simple.
Definitely would recommend and can't wait to go back.

Awesome place with a lot of different trails.