Charlestown Trail #3

Charlestown Trail #3 is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Charlestown, Indiana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Wooded hike along Fourteenmile Creek, river views, ridge hiking The trail begins with a very steep road grade that once led to a footbridge over Fourteenmile Creek. The bridge provided access to Rose Island, a 1920s amusement park. The Rose Island facilities were damaged beyond repair by the 1937 flood, and the bridge was removed once the Army bought the land in the 1940s. Good areas for stream-bank fishing can be reached by following the gravel portion of Trail 3 to Fourteenmile Creek. The middle section of this trail is very scenic with views of Fourteenmile Creek, rock cliffs high above the trail, abundant spring wildflowers, and mixed deciduous forests.

Good crisp morning hike- I️ carried my backpack just to get back in shape after not going for a couple months! We didn’t hurry but the hills
Give you a good workout!

Trail starts on a steep asphalt road used by park vans to provide ADA access to Rose Island. At the bottom of the hill, cross the old Portersville vehicle bridge to hike Trail #7, which is a short, flat loop through the historic Rose Island Amusement Park site. Nice views of Fourteenmile Creek and the Ohio River, plus good interpretive information on Rose Island. Back on Trail #3, trail gets narrow as it heads upstream along Fourteenmile Creek before ascending moderately to close its loop. Overall, when combined with Trail #7, this is probably the best hike at Charlestown State Park.

I'm a local and hiked this for the first time and found it to be a nice trail. I like hiking and while there is some elevation change on this trail, I personally do not find it to be all that difficult. If you're not in good shape that may be different for you. It is a mostly tree covered trail which makes it nice and cool on a hot summer day. The best part of this trail is jumping off onto Rose Island. When you see the bridge, cross it and you are at Rose Island. This is an old resort that used to have an amusement park, swimming pool, dancing hall, zoo, and restaurant for people that took a steam ship from Louisville to reach it in the 1930's. It is a very interesting place with lots of signage to tell you how it used to be. Views along the Ohio are decent from this island.

My 10 yo boys and I liked checking out the historical information about Rose Island. Cool hike.

Great trail. Everybody should split off of #3 to #7 to learn about rose island. Great historical spot, and also neat looking at what's left of it and the flood levels in 1937. Love the trails in this park they are easy.

Very nice, maintained, but remote. climb, woods river not hard climbs are slow and nothing g that works you hard.

Nice views and some interesting history stops on the peninsula.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Great views and kinda has that Chernobyl abandoned kinda feel to it. Wasn't too crowded but definitely saw a few other hikers. It's a hike from a parking lot to a bridge that takes you to an island on the Ohio river that used to have a amusement park on it in the mid thirties. Unique type of hike.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Loved this trail.
Visited trail 3 - twice in the same week I was so impressed.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

I really liked this trail. There is a concrete walkway to the bridge and then it turns into an actual trail. I loved how it was a nice hike through the woods with a sudden transfer to a different terrain to finish out on. The only thing was that I left my windows cracked and came back to a car filled with stink bugs.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Very pretty, peaceful and challenging. my husband, myself and our three kids enjoyed it. The hike back uphill was intense for me, I'm a plus size hiker, but I did it!!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Pretty and easy to follow. I completed all the trails in the park in one day and enjoyed every step.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Trail #3 has an additional trail that can only be accessed from trail #3, the park calls it trail #7 - it consists of Rose Island. This area was used as an amusement park /resort in the early 1900s. There are informational markers along the trail as well as the old pool (filled in) and some stone structures from the pier.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

a great scenic walk but their are some places with inclines. During spring the trail can be saturated...

Saturday, March 26, 2016

This was a very nice trail. First part is paved and continues into an old amusement park area that is very different and interesting to read and learn about! I had my two small dogs with me and they did wonderful. The unpaved part of the trail that makes the loop was beautiful as well. you stay on the Ohio River for a good But of it and gives some great views. Overall, I was impressed!

Monday, March 21, 2016

Fun trail! We went down the road all the way to the trail which i recommend. Also walked across the bridge to Rose Island which was totally unexpected. A lot of fun with great scenery and different topography.

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Beautiful walk - be sure to take hard left immediately after bridge rather than going straight down to Ohio.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Nice trail with pretty forest and some decent views of the stream. Mostly shaded. There is no marker at the top end of the trail where it turns left off the paved road shortly past the parking lot. Even with a map, we weren't sure for a while whether we'd found Trail 3 or 4.

If you don't want a LONG uphill at the end of the hike, go all the way down the paved road and turn onto Trail 3 just before the bridge. Better yet, cross the bridge and take a walk around Rose Island, and then take Trail 3 once you come back across the bridge. Great views of the Ohio from Rose Island, and it's fun to see where the old amusement park was. Interpretive signs and recordings on the island are great.

Monday, June 15, 2015

I like this trail. I hike it a few times a year. It can be a little tricky to find with the paved start and walking bridge. You just take a left when you get to the bottom of the hill before the walking bridge and you will be good. You will come out at the top of the hill on the paved path. Or you can go reverse and have the HUGE hill at the end. lol.

Saturday, November 02, 2013

The scenery is absolutely gorgeous, but the trail is not well marked. I started out going downhill (quite steeply downhill) on a paved road but I had no idea that was part of trail 3. I did cross the bridge to what I assumed was Rose Island (again, it was not marked) to try and find trail 7. Never saw a sign for trail 7 even though I came to two intersections on the path. I could only hope I was going the right way. Finally saw a small marker that said trail 3 after crossing back over the bridge and followed this path. It gets narrow in places and at one point, I thought it had ended. If the views weren't so spectacular, I wouldn't go back but the views of the Ohio River and 14 mile are really stunning.