Charlestown Trail #3 is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Charlestown, Indiana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Wooded hike along Fourteenmile Creek, river views, ridge hiking The trail begins with a very steep road grade that once led to a footbridge over Fourteenmile Creek. The bridge provided access to Rose Island, a 1920s amusement park. The Rose Island facilities were damaged beyond repair by the 1937 flood, and the bridge was removed once the Army bought the land in the 1940s. Good areas for stream-bank fishing can be reached by following the gravel portion of Trail 3 to Fourteenmile Creek. The middle section of this trail is very scenic with views of Fourteenmile Creek, rock cliffs high above the trail, abundant spring wildflowers, and mixed deciduous forests.

Fun trail that is not very hard. Has decent
Elevation for this area. Had rained so the trail was slick with wet rocks, roots and leaves.

fairly easy hike, but beautiful just as the leaves are starting to fall. We happened to go on a day they had some fall festivities, so we caught one of the last guided tours about Rose Island. a really neat treat that allowed us to step into the past.

We enjoyed a family hike along trail 3 and on part of Rose Island. The paved trail down to Rose Island is steep, and like others have mentioned, I'd rather walk down than up. While you still have to make up for the downhill, it's a more enjoyable walk along the trail coming out than walking a road.

Hiked trail 7 and 3 (around 3.5 miles) with five kids ages 5-10. Like others mentioned take the paved path down and do the trail counter clockwise. Nice hike through Rose Island, then on to the rest of trail 3 which gets pretty narrow with a drop off to one side, had to slow the pace to watch our youngest. Otherwise not too difficult.

Nice trail, but it is a bit easier to take the paved path down to Rose Island and the trail back as others have mentioned. Watch for some paw paw fruit on the trail back. They are sweet but have a slightly bitter finish.

Same trail today, but added Rose Island. Awesome step into the past. Definitely worth extra to see.

This was a nice 3+mile hike with the Rose Island loop added in. The nice park ranger at the gate warned us to take the paved trail (to the right when you start) down the hill. The last section as you finish up is a slow uphill climb. Much easier than the steep paved path. The trail does get a little narrow in spots once you turn off at the bridge to Rose Island. All in all a nice hike with plenty of good scenery for taking pictures.

Nice happy hike! Crossed bridge and added Rose Island in middle for fun!

Good trail with one large decline and then you go back up an equally large incline. Though my only complaint of the tail is that there were three large trees down in pieces so you kind of have climb and squeeze through some parts. Be careful of spiders, recent flood brought them out too.

Down a paved road to Rose Island was very easy. Rose Island was very cool and interesting. Took trail 3 back up to the parking lot and it was ok. Not a lot to look at, you’ll catch a view of the river at the start. The trail is a little overgrown in some areas and the spider webs are insane!! Take a walking stick and knock them down, even with one you’ll still have a face and leg full of the ones you don’t see! (I’m not even kidding when I say insane, we would’ve ran into three huge webs on the trail without the stick). I agree with the other reviewers on taking lots of water!

My wife and I visited this trail at her suggestion, and I’m thankful for that. Wx was toasty but breeze from river coupled with canopy made for a pleasant walk. We saw many six-spotted emerald beetles (amazingly colorful, fluorescent scarabs), several types of butterflies drinking from the numerous blooming wildflowers, and a Doe with her very young fawn. We missed the first left turn (and you will too if they don’t put up a sign) to start the loop- our plan was to counter-clock the path to the bottom and hit rose island from there. Instead, at the bottom we bypassed rose island and clocked the trail all the way back around to rose island again. The paved path back up from rose island is no joke! 2L of water and two granola bars was barely enough for the two of us in the 90f wx, but again we practically made this trail into a four-miler considering we did it 1.5 times and rose island. Can’t wait to do it in October with the kids.

Easy trail... we did trail 7 and 3, it was beautiful. I am missing my Arizona trails.

Loved the trail, along the creek. TON of spider webs.

It's a nice park except for the fact they charge $7.00 for parking. Would've been cool to know that before driving all the way out here.

pretty great trail over all :)
my dog loved it also the trail offered some great back grounds for pictures

Fun trail, esp if you drop by Rose Island :)

This hike is really neat! We actually went across and ventured Rose Island. While doing this trail you might as well go check it out. Really neat and historic. As far as trail 3 goes it is a fun hike with great views.

Good crisp morning hike- I️ carried my backpack just to get back in shape after not going for a couple months! We didn’t hurry but the hills
Give you a good workout!

Friday, July 14, 2017

Trail starts on a steep asphalt road used by park vans to provide ADA access to Rose Island. At the bottom of the hill, cross the old Portersville vehicle bridge to hike Trail #7, which is a short, flat loop through the historic Rose Island Amusement Park site. Nice views of Fourteenmile Creek and the Ohio River, plus good interpretive information on Rose Island. Back on Trail #3, trail gets narrow as it heads upstream along Fourteenmile Creek before ascending moderately to close its loop. Overall, when combined with Trail #7, this is probably the best hike at Charlestown State Park.

Monday, May 29, 2017

I'm a local and hiked this for the first time and found it to be a nice trail. I like hiking and while there is some elevation change on this trail, I personally do not find it to be all that difficult. If you're not in good shape that may be different for you. It is a mostly tree covered trail which makes it nice and cool on a hot summer day. The best part of this trail is jumping off onto Rose Island. When you see the bridge, cross it and you are at Rose Island. This is an old resort that used to have an amusement park, swimming pool, dancing hall, zoo, and restaurant for people that took a steam ship from Louisville to reach it in the 1930's. It is a very interesting place with lots of signage to tell you how it used to be. Views along the Ohio are decent from this island.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

My 10 yo boys and I liked checking out the historical information about Rose Island. Cool hike.

Friday, March 24, 2017

Great trail. Everybody should split off of #3 to #7 to learn about rose island. Great historical spot, and also neat looking at what's left of it and the flood levels in 1937. Love the trails in this park they are easy.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Very nice, maintained, but remote. climb, woods river not hard climbs are slow and nothing g that works you hard.

Monday, January 09, 2017

Nice views and some interesting history stops on the peninsula.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Great views and kinda has that Chernobyl abandoned kinda feel to it. Wasn't too crowded but definitely saw a few other hikers. It's a hike from a parking lot to a bridge that takes you to an island on the Ohio river that used to have a amusement park on it in the mid thirties. Unique type of hike.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Loved this trail.
Visited trail 3 - twice in the same week I was so impressed.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

I really liked this trail. There is a concrete walkway to the bridge and then it turns into an actual trail. I loved how it was a nice hike through the woods with a sudden transfer to a different terrain to finish out on. The only thing was that I left my windows cracked and came back to a car filled with stink bugs.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Very pretty, peaceful and challenging. my husband, myself and our three kids enjoyed it. The hike back uphill was intense for me, I'm a plus size hiker, but I did it!!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Pretty and easy to follow. I completed all the trails in the park in one day and enjoyed every step.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Trail #3 has an additional trail that can only be accessed from trail #3, the park calls it trail #7 - it consists of Rose Island. This area was used as an amusement park /resort in the early 1900s. There are informational markers along the trail as well as the old pool (filled in) and some stone structures from the pier.