Chain O'Lakes Trails Loop

Chain O'Lakes Trails Loop is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Albion, Indiana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Chain O’Lakes is one of my favorite state parks in Indiana. Love the elevation changes, the gorgeous sunsets, the birds and the beavers! The dogs and I come here as often as we can.

This is actually 11 trails and a Indiana 50/100mile trail instead of one big loop. Most loops are under a mile but trail 6, 10 & 11 are 2-4miles. There is also the yellow Indiana 50/100 trail which is not on the park’s map.

Most of the trails are packed mud, sand or gravel though sometimes you come across water logged mud patches or areas of leaf and gravel litter. What is nice is that horses are not allowed here so the trails are not destroyed or covered in manure! Lol

Hiked in the fall and experienced some beautiful views of the lakes with woods background. Trails are well maintained and marked. Good forest views away from lakes. Love this park.

The best fun is had when you go off the trail— there are some felled trees that make cool bridges. Just don’t get lost!

There are 12 trails at Chain 'O Lakes SP. Trail 9 is marked rugged, but it seemed more moderate to me. You can indeed make a loop out of all the trails. Some go around the lakes or channels. Some are in meadows. Very nice hiking in Eastern Indiana!
Bring bug spray in the summer.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

This is my favorite place to hike and run. Beautiful every season.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

This was without a doubt one of the coolest parks that I have ever been too. The tranquility is off the charts and there is so much to do and see here. I would recommend visiting and look forward to going back myself.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

I went and did most of the loop 2 weeks ago when the red buds were in bloom; majestic AF. No other soul was encountered except mother earth in her finest form. Walking around the Lakes made me feel as if i was in a Japan with the pink blooms and still water.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Plenty of trails here. We completed trail 10 to 6 to 1 for just over 5 miles. This time of year traffic is zero, but this trail would be amazing in fall. some stairs on trail 6, but not many.

Friday, October 21, 2016

Many trails for my dog to go crazy over and lovely wildlife crossing our paths.. The markers on a few trails were slightly confusing, but who cares when it's pretty out? Can always use some more exercise

paddle sports
Monday, March 07, 2016

I usually get a yearly pass. Its a great place to camp, hike, and boat!

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The state park officially declares there are 15 total miles in trails, and my muscles agree. We went two weeks ago & started at the parking lot out by the canoe camp, hiked in on trail 4, did 3, then 10, then road walked up to the schoolhouse and used 8,7&5 to get back to 4. Since the dogs did well with that mileage, we went back this past weekend and hiked all the trails, including loop 9, which is a bit narrow but not that difficult.

Good things to know- bug repellant a must for the lake loops. You can & should avoid the beach if you don't wish to see people (and quite possibly you won't even see another hiker!). Water fountains at beach front & schoolhouse mean you can carry less water. There is parking at various trail heads but you can easily make your own route. If the schoolhouse is open, be sure to peek inside- I loved the artifacts.

All in all, we will definitely be back for hiking because the trails are challenging plus give us the mileage we need! We'd like to go camping here also, but it was at capacity last weekend so we'll definitely try the off season for that!

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Another nice spot that is fairly close to Fort Wayne. Trails are nice and hilly. Fall and early spring is best because there are less people.

paddle sports
Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Loved the canoe sites!

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Perfect place for the 12 hour Suck event!!

Friday, July 19, 2013

My husband and I spent one night camping here last weekend. The campground was clean and tidy. The restrooms/showers, while outdated, were also mostly clean. (Monday morning the facilities were bleached and powerwashed.) Sunday, we rented kayaks and traveled several of the lakes. Beautiful, quiet, calm. Be aware: kayak/canoe rental fees are different on the weekend vs. the weekday. Monday, we hiked trails 6, 1, 8, and 9. 9 was listed as rugged. While it was a little more challenging, I wouldn't call it rugged. Also, it WAS 95 degrees, which made it a bit more challenging. My only issue: not enough bug spray. We sprayed ourselves and brought more and reapplied throughout the hike. NOT ENOUGH.
Beautiful way to spend the weekend.

recorded 5mi