Brown County #9 Loop and Extension Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(135)
Brown County State Park

Brown County #9 Loop and Extension Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nashville, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,354 feet Route Type: Loop

Great quiet hike. Wish I would have been more prepared physically for the multiple elevation changes. But that is on me not the trail.

Great hike just watch out for the loop part there is a split that’s not marked and the wrong way will lead you off course. It doesn’t lead you back to the other one.

Big fan of this trail!

A few times midway through the loop I had to stop and go looking for the trail. I would stop and question whether I was on the trail or just plain running through the forest. There were no trail blazes just the posts but they are not very frequent and not there when you need them. It was my first time doing this trail today. lots of fun technical downhill and some good elevation for it's shorter distance. Mostly single track. Not a lot of switch backs. I added in trail 7 around the lake to make this a good 8.65 mile trail run.

Awesome park. Nice hike.

Beautiful trail my S/O and I took back around the middle if October. only reason it's not five stars is that we got a little turned around where the tail loops. If it weren't for a fellow hiker drinking up conversation we would've been going in circles! Love this park with all my heart.

Fun 2 hour hike with lots of great views.

This was a nice hike. My only complaint is that the west side of the loop was very over grown with a few down trees. It looked like most people do the trail as an out and back to skip that section.

Hiked in late August. I typically hike Eagle Creek and Ft Harrison in Indy - so this was a much welcomed longer trek and bigger challenge. I started at Ogle Lake, up to the ridge, did the loop, and back to lake. 7.5 miles, it took me a little over 3 hours. I enjoyed that it wasn’t “all uphill” to the ridge, there were a couple decent descents along the way too, nice variety. The loop at the top is pretty flat on the near side, but has a descent / ascent to / from the back side. The bottom (back) side of the loop is pretty tight in spots with August vegetation, but not too bad. I did notice the forest vegetation changed a bit as you got closer to the top and more sun could get through the canopy, that was a nice variety. All in all a good, challenging workout. Great for gluts going uphill, great for quads going downhill. It’s definitely not for those out for a casual hike, it’s challenging and you will sweat a lot - bring a lot of water. I went thru my entire half-gallon hydro flask round trip.. Thumbs up from me.

One of the first of many trails we will walk in this park. Gradual up hills and down hills, a few routes and muddy spots. Ended up at a lake which had a number of options around it. Very pretty and quiet when we did at eight in the morning on Sunday. The forest was incredibly green and Spring was just happening on May 11. I would recommend any of these trails as they are not too steep but they do offer some challenge. Not a lot of vistas or views. But great quiet woods walking

Mon May 06 2019

Don't follow the AllTrails instructions. Takes you to a road that is closed. Go to the campground entrance and get a parking pass. Then the alltrails will get you to the TH. I went to the left first, enjoyed the creek and wildflower and then took extension to lake where I sat on a bench for lunch. It's a nice walk through the woods with the dogwoods blooming. Muddy in a few spots, but overall a pleasant walk in the spring. For pics visit: https://etbtravelphotography.com/2019/05/19/top-things-to-do-in-nashville/

Mon Apr 22 2019

Great moderate trail. Some parts were a bit muddy but to be expected after all the rain we had. Some good climbs both ways. Don’t follow the gps, start out at ogle lake. I stopped and had lunch along the way and it took me about 3.75 hours. I took my time. I would definitely do this trail again.

Sun Apr 07 2019

Really nice eastern woodlands trail. Lots of ups and downs. It gave us a really good cardio workout. Nice vista of the lake while hiking down to it. We packed a lunch and ate it at the lake before the trek back to the campgrounds. Great day hike

We made a mistake and would recommend starting at Ogle Lake. Somehow our GPS guided us to the Ridge. Although we did it all. We parked at the campground which was totally isolated-closed? When we returned we saw a car load of young people who wanted to buy a soda. But it wasn’t working. Then we passed another car as we left. We felt our car would have been safer at the lake which has lots more parking. Great trail down to the lake and up from it. Good switch backs to help with the ascent and descent. The Taylor Ridge Trail isn’t as well traveled and needs some maintenance. We saw two trail markers. Only in one place did we start to veer off. Thankfully we checked the app and got back on track. Only a little mud in a few places. The 3 creeks we had to cross weren’t too high.

Tue Feb 19 2019

I took Trail 4 to 7 to 9, it took about 5.5 hours. Pretty tough, somehow up hill both ways ha

Thu Feb 14 2019

Muddy after a big snow melt. Should be even better when dry.

Wed Aug 29 2018

good conditioning from lake to bench.

Fri Dec 01 2017

My wife and I are fairly experienced hikers and we both agreed this trail should be rated hard for the ascents alone. It's a real workout, but a lot of fun! Incredible views! Nice bench at the loop! Will definitely return!

Sat Jul 08 2017

Great trail! Good mix of elevation to keep you interested. Started at the lake and did the extension and loop and back. Took just over 3 hours.

Sat Jul 01 2017

Started at Ogle lake, looped and finished back at the lake. Rugged feel to the trail, saw probably a dozen other hiking groups on the ~ 3 hours on the trail. There isn't much to see on this trail in the summer, it's almost completely under the canopy. Good workout though.

Sat May 13 2017

took this trail as a night hike and followed it up to the west overlook of trail 8. looped trail 8 and met back up with 9 at the lake then finished with the 1.7 extension. all in all about 13 miles. a little under 4 hrs moving time.

Wed Apr 19 2017

This trail was a challenge for a beginner hiker. The elevation changed were rough for someone out of shape. Be prepared to get feet wet as there are some Creek crossings as well as muddy places in the trails. It however is very nice as I went in the middle of the week and saw very few people. Plus being immersed in nature for 3+ hours and never heard a car or a plane was nice.

Sun Jan 22 2017

Definitely more difficult than the beginning trail #8 we used to connect to trail #9, but it was very enjoyable on a rare 60 degree day in January! Definitely be ready for some Muddy sections, but nothing too extreme on the day we went.

Thu Dec 29 2016

From Ogle Lake hiked to loop, around loop and back to lake. About 7.5 miles. Less traffic than other BC trails and has a slightly more rugged feel. Has several long moderate climbs so a decent workout if that is what you are looking for in your hikes.

Wed Oct 05 2016

Tue Sep 13 2016

Hiked 3 miles from the campsite to the lake then 1.5 miles around the lake then 3 miles back nice trails

Sun May 15 2016

Started at ogle lake. 2.7 mi hike to loop. Around loop up to campsite back to ogle lake. All in all a little over 8mi total. Great hike with nice elevation changes.

Sun May 15 2016

I typically find Brown County State Park too crowded for my taste, but trail 9 is nicely tucked away in a corner of the park that seems to only invite the more serious and respectful hikers. It was quiet, with some nice elevation changes, stream crossings, and great views of the lake.