Bloodroot Trail

Bloodroot Trail is a 14.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lagro, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

canoeing

beach

It's pretty decent. Not fantastic views but secluded in the back. Well marked trails except for one confusing sign : incoming/outgoing.

it is a moderately rugged trail with plenty of switchbacks and A really lovely loop system that is a lot of fun for all levels of hikers

good hike for just about all conditions and skill levels

This was a great 13 mile loop for an overnight trip! Campsite #2 is great with access to reservoir and very secluded. It has a fire pit and picnic table. Everything is well marked and maintained.

I love this hike! Never a disappointment.

I'm a novice backpacker. This was a good trail to test skills and train. I hiked my gear from the Mount Etna trailhead to campsite #1 which is an easy 1.25 miles up to about 3 miles if you "hug" the reservior. The trail and campsite were well kept. It was a fun trip. My only complaint is poor access to the lake for the purpose of getting water to filter and drink. Big problem if you want to spend more than just overnight. There were some streams, but too dry to get water out from them.

Excellent in spring and fall. Less quality in summer months.

Hiked this trail last weekend, it's actually 13 miles not 9. First 6 miles is an exclusive Indiana farm land experience, the rest is nice forest hike.

I was able to gather a bit of water but I would not rely on it at all, most was farm land run off anyways.

Bugs were not too bad yet but the spider webs were crazy, both camp sites looked very clean and free of waste.

We did pick up some small snack bar wrappers on our way through but thats all the trash we saw, very clean and will be returning for sure!

Really fun trail, after mile 6 is mostly in the woods. If your camping at one of the site make sure to register and pay at the trail head by the interpretive center,,,don't just hike in.
You can stash water at Mt,Etna boat ramp if you don't feel like carrying water the whole way.

little lengthy for some novice hikers. but overall i really enjoyed it. trail was very well kept with little trash and very little in the way of trees to block. if it has been raining like it was today be sure to wear some waterproof boots.

My wife and hiked this trail when she was 4 months pregnant. We hiked it in May and there was a lot of mud and standing water that we had walk past or find logs to cross. We can normally walk at about 3 MPH but we were so bogged down that we were down to just under 2 MPH. Also there is no water on the trail so you have to carry in what you are going to use. Outside of those two things, we had a blast. It was the first big hike of the year and we had a good sense of accomplishment when we finished.

This trail gives you a nice afternoon walk in, overnight camp, and 2-3 hr walk out the next day making it a nice overnight hike. There are some elevation changes and some mowed and unmowed parts of the trail. Camp site #1 is a little smaller with no picnic table but a nice bench. It is near the lake but a little more secluded and protected. If the mosquitoes are biting and there is very little wind #1 would be a bad choice IMO. #2 is much more open and breezy. There is tons of drift wood for fire as of Aug 2015 all of which floated up on shore when the lake flooded. #2 has a picnic table but no bench. Overall Bloodroot is a great hike, I rated it a 4 because the map they offer needs to be updated and some of the ravine crossings were near impossible since the bridges were washed out.

the wooded portion of the Blood Root is Nice, but we like single track trails along water on both east and west side either for hiking or Biking.The bottom of the lake in winter makes for a good time.