Bloodroot Trail

Bloodroot Trail is a 14.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lagro, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

easy trail to test gear. besides that very disappointing. most of the trail was next to fields and half of what use to be the woods part has been cutt down and is now a field of wood chips.

Good trail for first season hike

Overall good trail. I did it as a solo overnight trip to test out some new gear. A good portion of the trail is on grass and it’s well marked the entire way. Trail was extremely muddy and waterlogged. Views of the lake were nice. There are 6 campsites, all with fire pits and some with benches/picnic tables. It’s a nice beginner hike.

Easy hike and the trail was very well maintained

The trail was marked very well. We just had a whole mess of rain, so it was pretty muddy, naturally. We tried to get water from the lake, access can be difficult depending on where you're at. I don't have a reference point, but we changed the name to Siltamonie Lake. Getting water might be difficult.

It is a really good trail to break-in a beginner backpacker or hiker.

The begging and ending of the trail (same route) are mostly plain, either walking parallel to the road or cornfield. I did the trail on a Saturday after about a week of rain and the plain areas of the trail were basically a marsh. The middle chunk of the trail, where the campsites are located are wooded scenic for northern Indiana.

The trail is well marked, possibly a little too well marked taking away a sense of adventure. You're also never too far from the state roads and can hear cars driving by in the distant. With that said the trail was great to get my pup back into backpacking shape and I would suggest to anyone wanting a quick easy camp, or beginners.

I’ve been here twice and both times were such a life changing experience. However, the first time I completed this trail, there was a flood. The second time, our technology died and we had to hike in the dark without light. Even though these things happened, this has become a tradition that my friends and I have begun. I highly suggest this trail.

This is a wonderful trail for a beginner, during the summer and fall months it’s even more fantastic. They have even added more backpacking sites! There’s 7 of them now and all of them have amazing views. There are a few steep hills to climb at the backside of the trail but take your time and you can do it!

fun in the snow, saw a super cool waterfall and climbed up inside with the ice.

it's a great trail. A tip do not do it when it's hot out.and if you want to get a camp site the best ones are 6and2

Well maintained trail with clear signage. Good for beginners. Has six campsites and site 6 has the best view. You could easily hike the entire trail in a day, but it is also a great place to camp/test gear for larger backpacking trips.

Giving three stars because too much of the trail is prairie. The areas of forest are much more scenic (beautiful in the fall), but I'm not a fan of the prairie areas.

**Deer hunters are present in the fall so be aware and wear something bright orange.

Loved it in the fall last year. Great beginning backpacking trail.

The fact that there are a few backpacking sites here is awesome. the scenery is great for this part of the state. excellent overall!

If you are camping site 6 is by far the best. The hike is underwhelming. First 3 miles are pretty much walking alongside cornfields . Backside of the hike has some elevation but is nice and scenic with the water in your view most of the time. We had a lot of fun.

One of our favorites in Indy. Love the new signage as well, makes it much easier to find out way.

Solo overnight trip. Majority of hike is flat, averaged 3.3 mph with 25 lb overnight loadout. Campsite 6 had great view of the lake.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

This is a very good beginner trail. I actually got turned around once and back tracked about a mile but other than that I really enjoyed the trail, there's 2 campsites marked and a 3rd that isn't marked it's a very peaceful trail, highly recommend it.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Over all the trail was a lot of fun it is just over 12 miles. Campsite 2 is actually two campsite. Both with a fire ring and picnic table. They are about 200 yards apart. Campsite one has a. Bush-crafted shelter on it not much room for a tent and trees for hammocks are almost non existent. This is a great trail for firs timers trying to figure out if they wanna get into backpacking, or even kids. I am a pretty big dude and I would have no problem doing this trail in one sitting. It is an externally well marked trail lots of road signs for the bikers. The lake is right there if you need to filter water. Although getting down to it can be a bit tricky. It was a really good trail just not a lot to see. If you want grand views and vistas this is not the trail for you. You you want a leisurely walk in the woods this trail is perfect

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

I did the trail as a warmup for some trips we are getting ready for. There were 5 of us and we left around 12:00 the first day and backpacked to campsite #2 and camped. We hiked out the next morning and were done by 12:00. This is an excellent trail for beginners and is well marked other than the beginning, close to the maintenance building where some work was being done. The trail takes you to some pretty remote areas and was more challenging at times than I expected.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

It's pretty decent. Not fantastic views but secluded in the back. Well marked trails except for one confusing sign : incoming/outgoing.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

it is a moderately rugged trail with plenty of switchbacks and A really lovely loop system that is a lot of fun for all levels of hikers

Sunday, November 27, 2016

good hike for just about all conditions and skill levels

Sunday, October 30, 2016

This was a great 13 mile loop for an overnight trip! Campsite #2 is great with access to reservoir and very secluded. It has a fire pit and picnic table. Everything is well marked and maintained.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

I love this hike! Never a disappointment.

Friday, September 16, 2016

I'm a novice backpacker. This was a good trail to test skills and train. I hiked my gear from the Mount Etna trailhead to campsite #1 which is an easy 1.25 miles up to about 3 miles if you "hug" the reservior. The trail and campsite were well kept. It was a fun trip. My only complaint is poor access to the lake to get water to filter. Big problem if you want to spend more than just overnight. There were some streams, but too dry to get water out from them.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Excellent in spring and fall. Less quality in summer months.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Hiked this trail last weekend, it's actually 13 miles not 9. First 6 miles is an exclusive Indiana farm land experience, the rest is nice forest hike.

I was able to gather a bit of water but I would not rely on it at all, most was farm land run off anyways.

Bugs were not too bad yet but the spider webs were crazy, both camp sites looked very clean and free of waste.

We did pick up some small snack bar wrappers on our way through but thats all the trash we saw, very clean and will be returning for sure!

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Really fun trail, after mile 6 is mostly in the woods. If your camping at one of the site make sure to register and pay at the trail head by the interpretive center,,,don't just hike in.
You can stash water at Mt,Etna boat ramp if you don't feel like carrying water the whole way.

Friday, April 22, 2016

little lengthy for some novice hikers. but overall i really enjoyed it. trail was very well kept with little trash and very little in the way of trees to block. if it has been raining like it was today be sure to wear some waterproof boots.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

My wife and hiked this trail when she was 4 months pregnant. We hiked it in May and there was a lot of mud and standing water that we had walk past or find logs to cross. We can normally walk at about 3 MPH but we were so bogged down that we were down to just under 2 MPH. Also there is no water on the trail so you have to carry in what you are going to use. Outside of those two things, we had a blast. It was the first big hike of the year and we had a good sense of accomplishment when we finished.