Axsom Branch Loop

Axsom Branch Loop is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Norman, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take Tower Ridge Road off of 446 until you reach the Hickory Ridge Fire Tower parking lot.

This hike started out fine. we went counterclockwise from the fire tower. We passed by a few campers but were the only ones on the trail on a late Sunday morning. We didn't realize that part of the trail near the end was on the gravel road we drove in on. The last mile of the path was also super overgrown and muddy like no one had hiked it for months. We probably wouldn't return, but it was a decent length and started out great.

Went in the thick of tick season, right after it rained. This was otherwise a pretty hike, but between the mud, overgrown parts that weren't well maintained, constant spiderwebs, and bugs (including the ticks), was ready to be done early. The trail was also hard to follow at some points, which reminds me that the Alltrails trailhead is different from the trailhead located by Google Maps.

A great trail. Not busy at all. Had a few spots where it could have used a few more markers just because if the creek bed crossings. Otherwise it was great! We started where it breaks off from the Peninsula trail.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Just got home from hiking Axsom Loop. It's my first hike in 19 years. it definitely rekindled my spirit and my desire to spend time away. There were a couple of rough spots with trees that were down, but I'm sure USFS will fix it. We also had a major downpour about an hour before my son and I got there, so it was a little muddy. The good news is, it was a perfect break-in hike for my new shoes!

Monday, May 08, 2017

April trip to the Axsom Valley was full of wildflowers, moss, lichens, ferns, mushrooms, thunder storms, flash floods, and The Cabin. Do not come here and camp if you're not prepared for the backwoods. We survived a flash flood and got to experience the aftermath. It was beautiful; The "Flood Epic" story ☺. Please respect the archaeology and wilderness here. It somehow skipped the 20th century and why not see that in perpetuity?

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Was fortunate to come out on a very warm March day. The scenery was beautiful, the trails were a little rough, but in all it is a trail you want to hike. Next time there will be camping involved!

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Great workout! Beautiful in fall!

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Nice 7 mile trail just past the Sycamore trail on the left hand side if you park at the fire tower. Starts out weaving on a ridge before you hit a set of switchbacks taking you down through the ravines. The trail has a few creek crossings before heading up to the Grubb Ridge parking lot. After you hit the parking lot, head west down the road for a little bit until you see the trail pick up on the left. This is part of the Grubb Ridge trail and will eventually take you to a section that branches right or left. Head left when it says Martin Hollow Trail in order to complete the loop back to the fire tower lot. Lots to see with about 2400 ft in elevation gain along the way.

Saturday, June 10, 2017