Axsom Branch Loop is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bloomington, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 505 feet Route Type: Loop

Take Tower Ridge Road off of 446 until you reach the Hickory Ridge Fire Tower parking lot.

Nice hiking with good scenery and water streams. Need better trail markers.

Great day for a hike! The trail was in pretty good shape, although muddy in places. Actual mileage 6.5. I got off the trail, and ended up on the road for a bit? Many pretty wildflowers, but I think I’m a little late for the peak. Lots of ticks, so make sure to use insect repellent.

Trail was muddy in spots today (December 27, 2019), but that's just the result of 50-degree temperatures and overnight rainfall. Creeks had water. The trail got a little confusing at a couple of creek crossings, but the app rectified that. On the backside of the loop was a pine grove in which someone had set up a quaint little campsite, as a tent was visible through the trees.

Ummmmmmmm......So this trail was not what we were expecting. The elevation change was pretty dramatic. There was no water to filter for our bottles. Spiders were everywhere and we kept running into their webs. There was no good spots to setup camp unless you want to be in the middle of a dried up creek bed. I would definitely advise not going in late September.

Sat May 18 2019

Good trail missed a turn but that was fine. Very busy today got there around 715 AM and there was very little parking. Trail was muddy in spots and had a few ticks on me. The scenery is nice and all in all a good trail. Just like on any trail in Deam Wilderness can be a bit tricky at times. Lots of trails and old trails you can get lost on. Just pay attention all trails has some trails that arent there anymore. Get here early if you want to camp on weekends lots of spots but one we wanted was taken which happens. Defently hike here again.

Sat Apr 06 2019

It wasn't too bad of a trail. It was a bit muddy and some of the trail wasn't marked correctly on the app.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Poorly marked and difficult to follow with numerous Creek crossings. Not sure if the rain had any part in that but we ultimately lost the trail completely and had to turn around and go out the way we came.

Tue Sep 25 2018

Very nice trail with water ways. rugged. last part of the trail goes along the road.

Sun Jun 03 2018

This hike started out fine. we went counterclockwise from the fire tower. We passed by a few campers but were the only ones on the trail on a late Sunday morning. We didn't realize that part of the trail near the end was on the gravel road we drove in on. The last mile of the path was also super overgrown and muddy like no one had hiked it for months. We probably wouldn't return, but it was a decent length and started out great.

Mon May 28 2018

Went in the thick of tick season, right after it rained. This was otherwise a pretty hike, but between the mud, overgrown parts that weren't well maintained, constant spiderwebs, and bugs (including the ticks), was ready to be done early. The trail was also hard to follow at some points, which reminds me that the Alltrails trailhead is different from the trailhead located by Google Maps.

Mon Oct 23 2017

A great trail. Not busy at all. Had a few spots where it could have used a few more markers just because if the creek bed crossings. Otherwise it was great! We started where it breaks off from the Peninsula trail.

Wed May 31 2017

Just got home from hiking Axsom Loop. It's my first hike in 19 years. it definitely rekindled my spirit and my desire to spend time away. There were a couple of rough spots with trees that were down, but I'm sure USFS will fix it. We also had a major downpour about an hour before my son and I got there, so it was a little muddy. The good news is, it was a perfect break-in hike for my new shoes!

Mon May 08 2017

April trip to the Axsom Valley was full of wildflowers, moss, lichens, ferns, mushrooms, thunder storms, flash floods, and The Cabin. Do not come here and camp if you're not prepared for the backwoods. We survived a flash flood and got to experience the aftermath. It was beautiful; The "Flood Epic" story ☺. Please respect the archaeology and wilderness here. It somehow skipped the 20th century and why not see that in perpetuity?

Thu Mar 09 2017

Was fortunate to come out on a very warm March day. The scenery was beautiful, the trails were a little rough, but in all it is a trail you want to hike. Next time there will be camping involved!

Thu Apr 07 2016

Great workout! Beautiful in fall!

Sat Nov 15 2014

Nice 7 mile trail just past the Sycamore trail on the left hand side if you park at the fire tower. Starts out weaving on a ridge before you hit a set of switchbacks taking you down through the ravines. The trail has a few creek crossings before heading up to the Grubb Ridge parking lot. After you hit the parking lot, head west down the road for a little bit until you see the trail pick up on the left. This is part of the Grubb Ridge trail and will eventually take you to a section that branches right or left. Head left when it says Martin Hollow Trail in order to complete the loop back to the fire tower lot. Lots to see with about 2400 ft in elevation gain along the way.