Amy Weingartner Branigin Peninsula Preserve

Amy Weingartner Branigin Peninsula Preserve is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Knight Ridge, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

My dog and I thoroughly enjoyed our hike today. This was our first trip to the preserve and it was a relatively easy hike. Most of the trail consisted of an old road, but, luckily the closer we got to the shore of Lake Monroe, the less gravely the trail got. Couple of hills but they were neither too steep nor too high. The shore is rocky, covered with wildflowers and geodes. We spent nearly two hours in the preserve on a Friday afternoons and we never saw another person, which is always nice.

Pretty views the whole way, with long slopes and a little beach at the end. Really enjoyed it, and my dog did too.

Beautiful views! Very few people. Peaceful.

I actually learned about this relatively new (2015) nature preserve off a post on Facebook by Indiana DNR. This is a relatively easy out and back day hike that will take you down an old road out to the end of the peninsula for a great view of the lake. I did not see any water sources but really if you bring a liter of water with you, you won't need to find any. There is gradual elevation gain and loss and at the end you can see where people have been camping even though there are signs saying no camping. Just a very pleasant walk in the wood with lake water on both sides. Very good family hike, easy for kids to do in my opinion. I made a video about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq8tZjM9ytc

This was a great hike! The views of the lake are spectacular!!