Al White Memorial Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Al White Memorial Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mooresville, Indiana that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

private property

Keep in mind that you must have permission from Indiana University to be be here - please call the property manager before planning your trip. The Al White Memorial Trail is a 6.8 mile loop located on the north property of Bradford Woods - Indiana University (permission is required for admission). The trail is marked by metal blazes on trees. The trail is fairly level on the west half but dives several ravines and becomes very rugged on the east. Three creek crossings are required (there are no bridges) so be sure to be mindful of the water level. The trail was named in remembrance of long time Scouter, Al White, who died in October 1963 following a propane gas explosion at a Holiday on Ice Show at the Indiana State Fairgrounds Coliseum. The Al White Memorial Trail was originally located on the Bradford Woods Boy Scout Camp (now operated by Indiana University). It was dedicated in his honor on April 30, 1966 and operated for 36 years until its closure in 2002. Through a continued relationship between the Wundchenneu Chapter (Boy Scouts of America) and Indiana University, the trail reopened after a decade of inactivity and recently celebrated its 50 Anniversary.

Didn't bother to call and no one was there to tell me I couldn't hike. I got 2 miles into the counterclockwise route (don't go clockwise as you can see no trail blaze) and the trail and blazes just disappeared at this one ravine. So bummed because I was just getting to the good up and down of the hike. I turned around but I will be back when I have more time to get lost and also tell someone where I'm going ahead of time.

I contacted the property manager and was advised that I could not hike the trail or be on the premises unless I was part of an invited group. Bummed.

Keep in mind that you must have permission from Indiana University to be be here - please call the property manager before planning your trip. This is one of my favorite trails and I have been hiking it since the 1980's. It is a great rugged trail with lots of ravine climbing on the east half. A great day hike!