Adventure Hiking Trail

Adventure Hiking Trail is a 21.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Corydon, Indiana that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Went with my wife on her first backpacking trip. Didn’t get full trail in and had spots that were grown over and had to carefully look for blazes. Plan to do myself in the near future.

My wife and i starting at Rock Creek Trail head and moving counterclockwise. we cached two gallons water one at Pioneer Picnic Shelter and one where the trail crosses Cold Friday Road,we Hiked approximately 17 Miles(counting the reroute) the first day and camped at Homestead Overnight Shelter on Day two we hiked 11.4 miles to are car we did get a pretty hard rain storm early the morning of the last day we where there but the creeks where steal dry. We complete the trail in two days and one night. The trail is pretty challenging with lots of ups and downs. There is a reroute at Pioneer Picnic Shelter that includes a road walk and an incredibly muddy and poorly marked horse trail that was pretty terrible. The overgrown parts of the trail has a very high Deer & Wood Tick presence. Water is very scarce on this trail as well, with lots of dry creek-beds witch we new that why you shoud cache water along the trail all in all we did have a OK time but will not becoming back any time soon this trail would be good to hike in early spring or late fall when the ticks are not so bad.

This was a very challenging hike. The amount switchbacks were surprising. I have gone on plenty of other hikes, but the bugs on this one was too much. Nats, big spiders, plenty of mosquitos. On the second day of the hike the trail came to a fork in the road, with no sign as which way to go. That added more time to the trip. We ended up having to hitch hike back to the car.

trail and hike was great BUT like the good State of IN. no notices of logging, closures and detours. We hiked within .25mi of night shelter and was met with closures and detour. Sleeping out is great except when one has planned for a shelter for the night.
Other than the unannounced closures and Detours the trail is good the hike was great.

Our plan was to complete the trail in two days and one night. The trail is pretty challenging with lots of ups and downs. There is a reroute on the Southwest edge of the trail that includes a road walk and an incredibly muddy horse trail that was pretty terrible. Can't speak for the East side of the trail (see story below) but the West half was very overgrown in parts and has a very high Deer & Wood Tick presence. We pulled about 2 dozen off my legs alone after our first day despite Permethrin treated clothing and Picaridin bug spray application. Water is very scarce on this trail as well, with lots of dry creekbeds. Most of the water sources that we found were contaminated with horse excrement due to the high volume of horseback riders.

Hiked approximately 15 miles the first day (counting the reroute) starting at Rock Creek Trailhead and moving counterclockwise. Before we started hiking we cached two gallons water where the trail crosses Cold Friday Road, by the time we got to the cache the following evening, someone had taken every drop of our water. This left us exhausted, with very little water, and the sun just off the horizon. Ended up having to cut our trip short and road walk out the next morning. Thankfully we were able hitchhike on a local's tailgate back to our car. My suggestion would be to hide and label your water if you decide to cache water. Hopefully someone isn't as inconsiderate to your adventure as they were to ours.

Very challenging trial, marked ok, but no water sources, creeks are always dry, Mid-May we were constantly pulling ticks off.

I hated this trail. It was marked fine but terrain that could have easily been done with switchbacks was straight up and down. We did most of it in two days, but ended up hitching it out at our second water drop because the second shelter was closed due to logging. We didn't find out until we got to the first shelter.

I was able to walk it in a day but I started at 6 A.M. and finished at 8:30 P.M. It is a challenging trail with plenty of hills to climb. I would recommend taking at least 2 days to hike it if you have time. Also pay close attention at the detour to stay on the right trail. I didn't rate it very high because the woods are logged and there's not much to see. I would rather hike in old growth forests where you don't have to worry about getting sunburnt, but if your looking for a challenge this is the place to go.

This trail is amazing for Southern Indiana. I backpacked the trail in about 31 hours by myself at a higher-moderate pace. Plan on bringing about 3-4 gallons depending on your length of stay. There are great places to plant water along the route as well as a couple of maps online to plan ahead. During spring, the river portion of the trail was extremely muddy and the trail became more of a guess and check mentality. Certain routes at about the halfway point were closed down due to forestry efforts in the area, but the re-route wasn't bad at all. Definitely would recommend

Difficult trail from ascent/descent to water availability to navigation.

This was a challenging, but fun, trail. We started out last Friday and finished Sunday. I must say, the Southern part of the trail is much more difficult than the Northern. At one point West of the Old Iron Bridge, there is no trail. Only thick mud so it was difficult to follow anything and very slow going for about a mile and a half. Friday we hammock camped at the Pioneer shelter and woke up to a downpour. From there, hiking counter clockwise, we hit the detour which includes a road hike for about a mile or so. Once back on the trail it was decent for the rest of the detour. Although. it does take you on a horse trail, which in the rain, is a muddy mess. Night 2 we stayed at the Indian Creek shelter, again in our hammocks and the rain came again. The 9 mile hike out the next day was a breeze. Overall this is a very nice trail with some challenging climbs. Especially in the rain. We didn't need our water drops either day because there was water EVERYWHERE. I will caution you, when we got there Friday morning, everything was dry. So, if you're going and there is not a 100% chance of rain, drop off water.

Pretty fun trail! A lot more up and down than expected. Be sure to pack lots of water and drop off water at one of the shelters along the trail.

The area west of the Old Iron Bridge along the river becomes a thick muddy swamp for 1.5 miles. It's slow going and can be hard to follow the trail.

I started the Trail on saturday at the trailhead off of SR 462. I went clockwise. The Trail was very muddy in spots. Plenty of water flowing in the creeks (I didn't end up needing my cached water at Cold Friday Road crossing). My first day, I hiked approximately 10 miles to the Chimney Shelter. Next day I hiked out 15-16 miles and finished the trail. There was logging taking place at the Ohio River Shelter. Some notably tougher spots were the climbs after Cold Friday Road. The trail was pure mud around the old iron bridge. Overall, I'd say it was a pretty decent backpacking trip. If your going to backpack it, I'd recommend allowing at least two nights / three days. It was pretty difficult to get it done with one night, which is obviously do'able but you can't really enjoy the trail much having to rush.

Had a great time on this trail in Feb.
Had a little trouble with some of the markers but there were quite a few changes because of timber harvest.
Take this trail seriously, it is tough but very pretty

We did some trail running yesterday. Obviously, the ground is super saturated at the moment but it was still great to get out and experience this trail.

The trail is rated hard and it is Hard but well worth it. Spent two nights out. The first night we camped just off trail, since we hiked the first 6 miles in the dark. It was cold and wet considering it had snowed earlier in the day and that changed to rain. The next day was perfect at 57 degrees and sunny. Spent that night at the Indian Creek Shelter. From there it was on to the car which was parked at the Trail Head.

The trailhead is not marked as the Trailhead to the AHT. We walked the entire trail counterclockwise. There are several areas of the trail, Northwest side, that are not marked well at all. But from then on it was no problem.

Some of the Trail was detoured due to flooding and some tree harvesting going on. Emerald Ash Borer has reeked havoc on the forest. At times we had to deviate from the trail because of flooding in the low ground around mile 8.

Do this Trail. It is well worth the experience. We plan on going back once all of the AHT is open. The shelters we saw were great. Very comfortable.

Started Friday evening and finished Sunday afternoon. Was a challenging trip but definitely beautiful. Trail was marked very well, we only had to rely on GPS on a couple of logged areas. Can’t wait to come back and do again!

Trail is in great condition right now. Our team of mountain bikers have put in 300+hours trimming and sawing again this year. This trail is difficult but the experience and views are well worth it.

Went to this are for a backpack hike and camp for 3 days and two nights. Beautiful camped out where the blue river meets the Ohio river great spot! Only downside harassed by DNR trying to leave the park. Not "approved" camping area where we were.

great trail. very scenic.

Post-Harvey monsoon got us off to a late start, did not think we'd get to hike as much as we did. Trail was passable even when wet, awesome once dry after 24 hours. There are scattered areas of overgrowth, particularly on the northwest side. Downloading GPX file is highly recommended to stay on track through those few sketchy sections. We all ended up with chigger bites, and the itching has been a steady reminder over the last week of how good of a time we had. I'll plan on spending more time here Fall/early Spring to avoid the infestation.

This trail is horribly overgrown, mostly with brambles. There were times when you couldn't even see the trail. While traipsing through the overgrowth, twice we passed through a lone star tick larvae nest. I have hundreds of bites on my feet and legs. My wife just spent an hour searching to make sure we got all the ones that were still burrowed in my skin. I had to walk with branches in front of me to keep from getting spider webs in my face every five feet or so. I have it two stars because where the trail was nice, it was very fun. Very challenging trail.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

This is a challenging trail. With all the rain this spring, the trail was very muddy in many places and several trees were blocking the trail. The trail is marked well. We didn't have any trouble finding water to filter (there has been plenty of rain), but the creek beds were all dry.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

This loop is not for the novice. You must be fit because switchbacks, there's no such thing here. My wife and I saw a bobcat and 2 kittens. There are a handful of shelters along the route. Places to drop water (necessary). Plan accordingly.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

We (4 women) hiked May 17 - 19. Only saw two other hikers the whole time. Well marked except watch trail crossings because the more obvious trail is probably a horse trail. Also needed some better markings where lumber activity. Be sure to cache water - streams were dry even with all the May rain. Plenty of ticks and poison ivy but still a nice rugged trail in a loop which is very hard to find. Maps given out at the state park have no mileage and no names of the various features so download a map ahead of time.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Five of us started planning around Christmas to backpack the AHT. We arrived at Obannon State Park around 9:00am Friday morning, we cached water on Cold Friday Road and checked in at the park office. We started hiking by taking the interpretive trail by the fire tower to the fire trail to the old iron bridge. We then picked up the AHT, going counter clockwise, only to lose it when it turned left and we kept on the horse trail. Unfortunately we went way to far out of the way before back tracking and finding it. Once on the trail it is marked very well. If you lose the green/white markers go back because you lost the trail and got on another trail (which there are a lot of). We hiked to the Ohio River Shelter, which was about 9.5 mile day. The shelter was awesome, it stormed all night and the shelter was great. We shared the shelter with 2 other hikers and there was plenty of room for 7 of us. We started day 2 and had a great experience, foraged multiple creeks, saw a lot of great wildlife and loved it. Unfortunately one of our group fell ill and we found an awesome fellow who drove us from our water cache at Cold Friday Road back to the park (5 miles)! We will definitely be going back to hike some more of the AHT!

Monday, April 17, 2017

challenging but rewarding trail.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

I have to say this trail was the most physically demanding yet gratifying trail I have done to date. It will really test you beyond what you think you are capable of. At one point, on day three, I almost gave up. I pushed through my own personal wall and kept going. The Ohio River Shelter and Indian Creek Shelter areas are the prettiest views southern Indiana can offer. Water Caches at Pioneer Picnic, Cold Friday Road, and Old Forest Road seemed to be the most effective. I would recommend this trail to anyone who wants beauty and a challenge

Friday, March 10, 2017

What an amazing and challenging trail. This was the best marked trail that I have hiked in 2 1/2 years. The shelters were awesome. Be careful with the cheap version of the map, it is missing a good part of the trail. This is going to be one of my training courses as i build up for hiking the Appalachian trail southbound July 2018. I loved this trail, and the shelters make it that much better. Bring plenty of water there is not a bunch of water sources. Look for the many locations of natural spring water. Cold and refreshing. Make sure you bring food for 3 days, just in case you realized its not as easy as you might think. I will be doing this trail many times this summer and fall. Thanks O Bannon Woods for a great adventure!! Joel L. (The Hiking Source) on facebook.