Adventure Hiking Trail

Adventure Hiking Trail is a 22.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Corydon, Indiana that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail is in great condition right now. Our team of mountain bikers have put in 300+hours trimming and sawing again this year. This trail is difficult but the experience and views are well worth it.

Went to this are for a backpack hike and camp for 3 days and two nights. Beautiful camped out where the blue river meets the Ohio river great spot! Only downside harassed by DNR trying to leave the park. Not "approved" camping area where we were.

great trail. very scenic.

Post-Harvey monsoon got us off to a late start, did not think we'd get to hike as much as we did. Trail was passable even when wet, awesome once dry after 24 hours. There are scattered areas of overgrowth, particularly on the northwest side. Downloading GPX file is highly recommended to stay on track through those few sketchy sections. We all ended up with chigger bites, and the itching has been a steady reminder over the last week of how good of a time we had. I'll plan on spending more time here Fall/early Spring to avoid the infestation.

This trail is horribly overgrown, mostly with brambles. There were times when you couldn't even see the trail. While traipsing through the overgrowth, twice we passed through a lone star tick larvae nest. I have hundreds of bites on my feet and legs. My wife just spent an hour searching to make sure we got all the ones that were still burrowed in my skin. I had to walk with branches in front of me to keep from getting spider webs in my face every five feet or so. I have it two stars because where the trail was nice, it was very fun. Very challenging trail.

This is a challenging trail. With all the rain this spring, the trail was very muddy in many places and several trees were blocking the trail. The trail is marked well. We didn't have any trouble finding water to filter (there has been plenty of rain), but the creek beds were all dry.

This loop is not for the novice. You must be fit because switchbacks, there's no such thing here. My wife and I saw a bobcat and 2 kittens. There are a handful of shelters along the route. Places to drop water (necessary). Plan accordingly.

We (4 women) hiked May 17 - 19. Only saw two other hikers the whole time. Well marked except watch trail crossings because the more obvious trail is probably a horse trail. Also needed some better markings where lumber activity. Be sure to cache water - streams were dry even with all the May rain. Plenty of ticks and poison ivy but still a nice rugged trail in a loop which is very hard to find. Maps given out at the state park have no mileage and no names of the various features so download a map ahead of time.

Five of us started planning around Christmas to backpack the AHT. We arrived at Obannon State Park around 9:00am Friday morning, we cached water on Cold Friday Road and checked in at the park office. We started hiking by taking the interpretive trail by the fire tower to the fire trail to the old iron bridge. We then picked up the AHT, going counter clockwise, only to lose it when it turned left and we kept on the horse trail. Unfortunately we went way to far out of the way before back tracking and finding it. Once on the trail it is marked very well. If you lose the green/white markers go back because you lost the trail and got on another trail (which there are a lot of). We hiked to the Ohio River Shelter, which was about 9.5 mile day. The shelter was awesome, it stormed all night and the shelter was great. We shared the shelter with 2 other hikers and there was plenty of room for 7 of us. We started day 2 and had a great experience, foraged multiple creeks, saw a lot of great wildlife and loved it. Unfortunately one of our group fell ill and we found an awesome fellow who drove us from our water cache at Cold Friday Road back to the park (5 miles)! We will definitely be going back to hike some more of the AHT!

challenging but rewarding trail.