Your session expired, please sign in again to continue.
Learn more

Adventure Hiking Trail is a 21.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Corydon, Indiana that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 21.7 mi Elevation gain 3,845 ft Route type Loop

Over grown

Washed out

Description
Waypoints (0)

For up to date park information, please see the park page here: https://www.in.gov/dnr/10342.htm?utm_source=agency-website&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=&utm_term=&utm_content= There are many entrances to this loop, so you do not have to start at the trailhead shown on this page. Please review this page for more trailhead information: https://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/fo-HCSF_adventure_hiking_map.pdf

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (219)
Photos (164)
Recordings (166)
Completed (216)
Paul F.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 17 2020
BackpackingBugs

Great condition and lots of fun. Bring water and watch for ticks.

View Paul's Recording
Matthew Blandford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 13 2020
HikingBugs

Quite a few ticks. Challenging up and down hike with a loaded multi-day pack. There’s no water to filter. Leave a drop or carry a lot with you. Shelter areas are great for a clear spot to overnight.

View Matthew's Recording
Tommesha Holt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 10 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

I went last weekend 06/06 and had to turn around about 5 miles in due to how bad the ticks were. Which sucks b/c I was looking forward to completing the entire hike. The trail was very narrow with overgrown grass and weeds every step of the way which made it extremely hard to avoid the ticks.

feather brosio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 03 2020
Backpacking

some of the shelters are to close to roads. I fell on a rock on a muddy hill and broke my ankle. I had to walk about a mile to get service to call for help. The forest ranger and DNR got to me fast. They were so great. My dog was protective but they were understanding. I will go back to finish the trail once I heal. Great place and great people!

Douglas Schirch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 01 2020
HikingBugs

My wife and I hiked the trail this week. Nearly all of the trail was well marked and in good condition, the exception being the section SW of the Hog Barn Primitive Site. However, the tick problem is major. You easily pick up 1-2 ticks per mile, even with tall socks. If you can wear long pants, that would be better. Deet repellent didn't help much. Make sure you do a thorough body check when you get off the trail, as ticks on you more than 3-4 days transmit Lyme's disease. Surprisingly, few cases of Lyme's disease get reported from this area of IN, and few ticks are found carrying the bacteria here. https://www.in.gov/isdh/28006.htm

Eric Cooper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 31 2020
BlowdownBugsMuddy

Trail was very muddy. Had to climb over several blowdowns. Ticks were horrible even with spray. we crossed many streams with good flowing water. Camped at indian Creek shelter and decided to head back and not to complete the hike. Between the mud and my water filter breaking I was very tired and frustrated. The trail would be great if it would dry up some and need some TLC. Either way I had a great time backpacking with my son for the first time and he learned a lot as did I. would like to try it in the winter.

Zeth Lilliston
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 31 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown
View Zeth's Recording
r e
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 30 2020
Hiking

Hiked this clockwise from the intersection of 462 and Old Forest Road. Started at 6:10AM, needed a headlamp for about 45 minutes. I love how well this trail is marked - not bad even in the dark! I wish I had left a water drop where the trail crosses Cold Friday road. I didn't like any of the water options I saw along the way and waiting until Horsemen's Camp was a little too long. If I wanted to do this mileage again, I'd probably get off the AHT where it meets Old Forest Road and take that up to Fire Tower Trail, then rejoin AHT at one of the points where Fire Tower meets it. The section where AHT is right alongside the Blue River was low, muddy, and not particularly pretty to me. Another alternative might be from 462 to Indian Creek Overlook and back out. That's about 10 miles and I thought it was very pretty through that section. I had a 10-15 pound pack and finished in about 7:40. That was me going as fast as I could with minimal stops.

joshua kerr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Mar 29 2020
HikingClosedOff trail
View joshua's Recording
Brian Reardon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Mar 22 2020
HikingMuddy
View Brian's Recording
Josh Orme
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Mar 08 2020
Hiking

Completed AHT loop in 9hrs 40min. Trail was in good shape, few muddy spots. Very challenging for 1 day hike.

peggy brewer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Mar 02 2020
Hiking

Hiked and camped the Adventure trail loop, parking car at the picnic shelter inside O’Bannon state park, camped at the hog barn, which I have been told will become part of the blazed green and white trail soon but is currently identified with large pink trailblazers that take you directly up and over the hill and valley next to the green and white blaze trail. Spent our second night at Indian Creek shelter third night at Ohio shelter before hiking back to the car. Used this trail as a shakedown for my upcoming Appalachian Trail through hike. With Indiana weather temperatures in the 20s this time of year and the consistent elevation gain and fall this trail proved to be a good test of gear. We enjoyed being able to see the views through the bare trees, the shelters were large enough for two single tents but the Ohio shelter was large enough for all three of our tents. We left water drops but this time of year found plenty of places where we could have filtered water. Blazes from picnic shelter to Iron Bridge and from iron Bridge to hog barn did not seem to be updated at this time. Blazes along other parts of the trail had been recently updated and looked as if effort was being made to update the entire route. There were two login reroutes.

David Kitterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Feb 19 2020
Hiking

This is a section of the AHT , starting at the Pioneer Cabin and doing and out and back hike with a stop off at the campground in Obannon Woods State Park. I like this section for the hill training. It’s a good 2 mile mostly uphill grade to the campground. Good news the return trip is of course mostly downhill. Enjoy!

David Kitterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 02 2020
Hiking

Done! I completed the Adventure Hiking Trail in a little over 10.5 hours. My Garmin GPS had it at 23.6 miles. AllTrails had it at 23.2 miles. I can say that it was a very demanding trail. If I hike it again I will make it fun and do it it 2 nights and 3 days of hiking. I started the hike in the dark. My goal was to be done before dark. I stared at 6:40am and finished at about 5:25pm. I was able to watch the sunrise and took a photo at the Indian Creek Lookout Rock. I started the trail at the Old Forest Road Trailhead and hiked the trail clockwise around the loop. Enjoy!

David Kitterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jan 22 2020
Hiking

This is a hike to Lloyd’s Memorial Cabin pictured in this review. The difficult part that it is about a 2.8 mile out and back up and down Heartbreak Hills TWICE. Be ready for a challenge to your endurance to hill climb three successive summits with extreme grade. I rate this as the most difficult section of the AHT. I’m using it as a section hike to condition for the climb out of the Grand Canyon Rom To Rim Hike I would like to do fall 2020. The cabin has a great view overlooking the Ohio River. There are two fire rings, several picnic tables for a larger group to camp together. Have a great hike, I did.

David Kitterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jan 12 2020
Hiking

I did and out and back from cold Friday road to Old Forest RD Trailhead of the AHT. When I completed the round trip I decided to tackle on the the three “Heartbreak Hills”. I completed an 1.4 mile out and back going up and down one of the three big hills on the trail. Great hike, my biggest so far for me. This trail has its challenges and the Heartbreak Hills are tuff. Great Hike.

David Kitterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jan 05 2020
Hiking

Created my own loop today. Started at the Fire Tower Trailhead and looped to the Adventure Hiking Trail down to the Twin Chimneys. The section of the Adventure Hiking Trail is challenging and footing is difficult in the muddy winter terrain. After leaving the Twin Chimneys we hike back using the Fox Hollow Trail which is a gravel road back up to the Fire Tower Trail and back to the Fire Tower. Great hike today other than the as expected muddy trail.

David Kitterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jan 01 2020
HikingMuddy

This hike was from Old Forest Road Trailhead to Cold Friday Road Trailhead. About a 9 mile hike section hike of the Adventure Hiking Trail. Great hike for the first day of the New Year.

David Kitterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Dec 24 2019

Went on a Christmas Eve hike today on the Twin Chimney Loop. It was a 60 degree and a bright sunny day that made this a great hike. It’s a 6.2 mile loop that uses the Adventure Hiking Trail and the afire Tower Trail. I marked on this recording a new side trail to the Hog Barn that is marked on the trail with fluorescent red paint blazes on trees. Enjoy!

David Kitterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Dec 22 2019
Hiking

This was a hike to a favorite Adventure Hiking Trail location at the Chimney Shelter. We parked at the AHT trailhead at Cold Friday Road which is about 5 mile drive down Cold Friday Road. When you approach the Obannon Woods Entrance , turn left onto Cold Friday Road for 5 mikes till you see the AHT trail head markers on the side of the road. You will know you are getting close when the road goes from pavement to gravel , you cross a concrete slab bridge and continue to the trail head parking which will park about 4-5 vehicles. The trail is straight up for the first mile then it follows the ridge to the Chimney Shelter. Behind the shelter is a primitive unmarked trail, about .2 miles to an Ohio River Rock Bluff lockout and camping spot complete with stone fire ring. Enjoy!

David Kitterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Dec 18 2019
Hiking

This recording is and out and back 17.5 mile section hike of the AHT from the Old Forest Road Trailhead to the Cold Friday Road AHT Trailhead. The hike lasted 8 hours with about 45 minutes of breaks for breakfast and lunch. Trail was frozen in the morning but got soggy on the back trip. Great hike.

David Kitterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Dec 15 2019
Hiking

I hiked this trail loop today to re-record it without some backtracking I did on my first hike of this loop. This trail loop is part of the adventure hiking trail and the Fire Tower Trail In Obannon Woods State Park. It loops past the Twin Chimneys along the Adventure Hiking Trail which is about a 6.3 mile loop. The Twin Chimney is a great place to hike to for overnight camping or a day hike for a picnic. Has stone fire rings and four or five picnic tables. Great hike. Look up my other review and suggested trail “Twin Chimney Loop” for various starting locations for the loop for in and out of season. Enjoy!

David Kitterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Dec 11 2019
Hiking

This is a 6.2 mile loop to the Twin Chimneys just off the Adventure Hiking Trail. This trail uses part of the AHT and the Fire Tower Trail and a road walk on 462. You can either start and end at one of three starting points. The 1. AHT Trailhead just off of 462, 2. Fox Hollow Disabled Hunting Trail entrance between the entrance to the State Park and the AHT Trailhead on 462 or 3. Fire Tower Trailhead just inside Obannon Woods State Park. When the park is open for the season you can park (if room) at the 462 AHT Trailhead or the Fox Hollow Disabled Hunting Trail Entrance to avoid the $7 park entrance fee. When it is off season you can drive inside the park and park near the fire tower and the Fire Tower Trailhead. I began my hike counter clockwise for this recording and did a road brief road walk on 462 to the 462 AHT Trailhead from The Fox Hollow Disabled Hunters Trail Entrance. The trail is easy to moderate for the first 2 miles then you do you first hard climb. At 3.5 miles you will reach a picnic area next to a gravel road. The loop continues to your left, but to see the Twin Chimneys hang a right on the gravel road and you will quickly come to a T” in the road, go left on the gravel road (not right like I did and have to backtrack) and you will see the Twin Chimney Sign on your left . Bear left past the sign on a little trail and you will see the Twin Chimneys in the foreground. This a great camping area and or picnic area for your hike. When done with the Twin Chimneys double back to the picnic table at the AHT and continue on the AHT Trail till you hit the Fire Tower Trail at the top the big climb to the top. Go left on the Fire Tower Trail and follow it to the Fire Tower Trailhead. You will come out in the Stare Park , just head out the front entrance for your road walk on 462 to your starting point unless you started inside the park and you are done. Great Hike.

Dennis Butrum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Dec 05 2019
HikingClosedMuddyRocky

Cold Friday road south going clock wise to Parking area at 462 Started at Cold Friday road south went 2.3 miles to the re-route. This was on a horse trail " Ohio River Loop" that made the hike change to bad. It had rained and the horses had it muddy.At 3.2 miles we turned left on to the fire road that needed a lot of maint but even this was better than hiking the horse trail. At 3.6 miles we hit the paved road and turned south to 4.1 miles where the Adventure Hiking trail restarted. At this point is Pioneer Picnic shelter. The trails resumes to the north west. We hiked to mile 5.9 which is the Horsemen's Campground. We thought we could get our water bottles refilled here and use the restroom. To our dismay everything was shut down in the camp ground. Water off and the rest rooms locked. Better planning next time. It is December the 5th. Hiked to mile 6.4 and set up camp for the night. This is a nice clean valley with Deer and Coyote all night. Next morning hiked to mile 7.3 which is the Old Iron Bridge. Got some clean water to filter. Because of the rain we decided to take the gravel road to Fire tower trail. The river bottoms are very wet and muddy. The Fire Tower Trail is a very nice trail to walk even in the rain. They have started putting position markers on this trail. Here is where the battery went out on my AllTrails recorder so I missed some of the recording here. I think I missed about 1 mile of recording here. I restart AllTrails at 8.3 miles but it is a mile short. Basically from here to the end where our truck is it will be up hill until 11.3 miles or 12.3 miles really.