Volo Bog Interpretive Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ingleside, Illinois that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Volo Bog State Natural Area 3.0 miles 2/21/12 Tamarack View Trail Nice visitors center with info on the bog...

This is a nice trail, fairly easy. Mosquitoes were troublesome but bug spray and a face net helped a lot. Beautiful place.

it's ok trail

Awesome but tons of ticks

Nice trail, very wooded

First time here. Some of the routes have been changed from the map. Not sure if that’s a seasonal thing or not.

Observation tower was cool but the highlight was the blind they built just for bird watching and photography. I sat there for a while taking pictures of the birds and other animals!

I wouldn’t come here if it was wet. Would be both way too muddy and the foot bridges over the big would be really slippery.

Nice little bits of elevation made this a nice hike and I’ll definitely be back!

Close to home
Relaxing

Monday, October 09, 2017

Having grown up in this area, I’m mad at myself for never coming here before. The hike through the bog is fascinating and informative- not to mention the fun of bouncing along the floating path.

The loop trail is a nice hike. It’s a natural path with just enough elevation changes to make it a good workout.

I returned a few weeks later with my friend and her kids.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Great trail and easy to follow. It is dog friendly!

Sunday, September 03, 2017

unique hike wirh plenty of wildlife... very muddy after rainfall

Thursday, July 20, 2017

pretty trail with some good visuals

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Such a neat place! You have a choice between a mini boardwalk trail around the bog or several longer trails you could spend hours on if you choose. Plenty of animals and woods to see!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Very cool place. Saw lots of hummingbirds which made the hike that much better.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

I've been to the Volo Bog many times, but this was my first time doing the longer trail. I hope to do this hike again when the flys are not so bad and I can enjoy it more. They were HORRIBLE. 7/18/2016

Monday, August 04, 2014

The whole trail was great, but I loved the boardwalk!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I love this trail. It is short but has a nice boardwalk. Great for bird watching.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Great place for birding and observing butterflies and other wildlife. Can't wait to make it back!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

So far I have only manged to get out here in semi decent weather - it is still a great place considering how close it is to the city so I can go for a day hike. There is a super quick , I think it is like a half mile boardwalk on the water and then you can go all the way around the bog and look at different animals, plants, etc

Monday, August 02, 2010

I've done this loop many times, and it used to be my favorite jog. It's most enjoyable during the spring and fall, during the summer (because it is a bog) the mosquitoes can get very aggressive, but a good repellent goes a long way. It's a fairly easy trail, but part of it is on a boardwalk/alligator walk which can be a bit unsteady. It's a very diverse trail and goes through prairie, wooded area, and lovely meadows. It also has a nice overlook built in an out-of-the way spot.