The Nature Institute Olin Nature Preserve

The Nature Institute Olin Nature Preserve is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Godfrey, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until December.

Beautiful hike. I would rate as moderate. LOTS of mosquitos, spiders, and tall grass and over growth. I would think it would be much better in early spring. Dogs are not allowed. The falls and scenery were very pretty.

Great place to go to.

Beautiful property, trails are well maintained and clearly marked. Beaver Falls and the creek are worth the trip. There is more paved path and open praire than I care for on a hike, so not very challenging. Quite a few really large trees (for this area), lots of butterflies, and wildflowers. Family friendly hiking / nature walk. Trails are very quiet except where you can hear traffic in the River Rd.

great place! the first part of the hike is pretty easy, it goes along a nice shallow rockey creak and you eventually get to a little water fall called Beaver Falls. After that it geta a little steep, it was wet the day we went so it was a littlw rough, but all the kids that were with us made it with a little help.

Beautiful. lots of great views, gorgeous plants. We went the day after a rain so some of the hills were muddy and slick. Wear the right gear and it isn't an issue. We saw just two people the whole time and it was a perfect May Saturday. So green and wonderful! My three-year-old son walked the whole 2.8 miles so really not bad.

Beaver falls is taller than me, that's pretty big in my book

Really enjoy these trails. Lots to see. Bluff view, prairie, forest, and creek with some pretty albeit small waterfalls.

The only problem I see is that it's closed from December 1st to March 31st. I love this place and miss it on the rare warm winter days.

excellent hike, lots of beautiful trails, history, creek beds, waterfalls

Magical!

Great place to hike with the kids. No pets though.

One of my favorite local hikes. Beautiful forested trails with several hills and gullies, a stream with a cascade of waterfalls (when it's not so dry), a Mississippi River overlook, all well maintained. I did come across one large tree blocking the trail that I assume fell recently. The stream bed next to it was dry, so it was easy to bypass it in the dry stream bed.

Well maintained. Impressed that they actively remove invasive plant species. Bring bug spray.

Nice trip. Easy to do trail. The wildflowers were especially beautiful. Came face to face with a sweet deer and a turtle.

Its a fun hike. Tons of wildlife! The creek with the falls were beautiful.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Very good trail. Multiple routes to take, depending on how much you plan to hike. Very scenic as well, and depending on the time of day you go, very little traffic (Only saw one other group when I went at 8 AM). Definitely going back there again, sometime.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

This was a good hike. Nice lookout of the river and shaded on a really hot day, which was nice. We saw several waterfalls even though the stream was pretty low. We even saw a fawn hiding in some brush. Beaver Falls was really nice.

At one point, the hike took us out into a mowed field area and we thought we may have chosen an incorrect path, but it was correct and led us back in to the woods to finish up the hike.

Very pretty. Some steeper declines and a bit of a hill here and there but worth it.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

it was a nice hike. enjoyed the view of the lookout. deff going back.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Great trails & multiple waterfalls

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Great trails

Saturday, May 13, 2017

This is one of my favorite local hikes. Even though it is accessed in a residential area, it feels very secluded when you take off on the trails. There are multiple trails with varying degrees of terrain and difficulty. Most of the trails are interconnected so that you can have a different experience every time. There is plenty of wild life and multiple species of birds to be seen and heard.