Starved Rock and Sandstone Point Overlook Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Oglesby, Illinois that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Starved Rock trail is a loop trail to the top of a rock outcropping overlooking the river valley and is known for its eagle viewing. The trail is paved and boardwalk with a lot of steps.

This is a great hike. Lots of different canyons to check out and see. The trail it’s self is easy to follow and there is a map at every intersection. Get ready to walk up stairs. But the views are worth the walk. Go out and enjoy this trail.

Beautiful park, but could use some better signage to direct visitors to the various canyons and bluffs.

Pro tip: St. Louis Canyon has the best waterfall. The actual starved rock is a little anticlimactic.

A great place for a day hike.

Very large and clean visitors center with decent bathrooms and cool T-shirt’s. The separate parking areas further down the trail have porta-potties. Very stunning views worth the hike, but very popular, so heavily trafficked. I’d recommend going earlier to avoid the crowds. The campground has mediocre reviews but I loved it. We showed up in the rain at night and had people offer to help us set up tent. No one partied late it was quiet by 10:00 pm. Campground has restrooms and showers, food shop, pit toilets and water pumps. Shaded, part shade and full sun areas. Each spot has its own pull in with power. The trails were well groomed and marked. A bit of trash...people need to learn to pick up after themselves...good mix of flat, ups and downs, bridges and stairs

Everything is well marked, the sights are incredible, and it’s just the right amount of challenge for beginners to give it a shot. Today was a Wednesday. Got to the park at 8:45 am and had the trail to myself for the first half. By the time I got within a half mile of the visitors center (11:30) the place was getting crowded. Get there early if you can!

I absolutely love hiking here, but the people are absolute slobs. I’ve been going here since I was a kid and I brought my kids there yesterday and they were quite upset about the MASSIVE amount of garbage everywhere. They need to implement some serious litter prevention. Ban all disposable water bottles being the first, I’ve never seen so much trash at a park like this. It’s depressing.

I was pleasantly surprised with Starved Rock. It is awesome that all of the trails connect and you can decide what paths to take and loop all over. The canyons were sweet and picturesque.
It was an absolute zoo when we finished at 11am. Totally nuts. Would recommend getting there as early as possible to avoid crowds. We got there at 8am.
Do go hike, it's the best the area has to offer.

Awesome trail! Going back soon to explore more of the park. Beautiful views, beautiful waterfalls and an excellent place to explore. Can't wait to go back!

That place is so beautiful I loved

Beautiful place to lose yourself in nature!

Wouldn’t really consider this hiking, most trails are built into the landscape with wooden platforms and stairs. It’s a nice shady hike though that is not very challenging. There are some good spots for scenery and photos. Also lots of trash throughout, people need to learn to pick up after themselves.

Canyons, waterfalls, sand dune, streams and River. This trail has everything! Its not very challenging but very scenic and much of trails are covered with tall trees. Makes for nice cool trail running during warmer month. At first , a good chunk of trails seems over made with wood and concrete but I believe those are necessary for masses to safely enjoy canyons and water falls. After while, its not that obtrusive.
Overall great place to hike and enjoy.

Very nice, good trail for family. Paths are easy to follow. Can get very crowded during peak times, so go early if possible.

Worth doing; very scenic

Loved this trail. Super neat with lots of canyons and lookouts over the river. Definitely a good hike for local hikers who don't want to travel too far for a wonderful experience.

Nice trail, not so difficult also for small kids.

Walked this with the kiddos for Mother’s Day and my 4 & 5 year olds had no problem walking this trail! Lots to see visually and the smells of nature and flowers blooming, the trees to hits a nature lover right in the feels! Great place to spend an afternoon.

i went on a monday in the early afternoon and even got to participate in a park clean-up! recommend on off-peak times, as this is a popular day trip for city slickers like me!

It was very nice. I recommend going in the morning, after 12:00pm the trail gets too busy. Very pleasant trail

Let me start off by making it clear that the trail culture is very sub par. We encountered many groups of people blasting their music through super loud speakers. There was also a good amount of engravings on the rocks. Not to mention, there was trash all over the river walk. The combination of these things really hindered our experience. Despite all of this, the canyons/waterfalls looked quite nice from afar, and the hikes there were pleasant. The best canyons in our opinion were Kaskaskia and Ottawa. Get there early to avoid the crowds. 6/10

It was nice. We drove almost 2 hours to get here after wanting to go for a few months. The scenery was breathtaking, especially since Chicago is almost completely flat! The only problem that I encountered was that the trail was so built up. Most of it was either wood or concrete and it made the experience feel very superficial, especially walking past women in dresses wanting to take pictures. The waterfalls and canyons were really something incredible though, and we were even able to climb them (without harnesses; please don’t try if you aren’t familiar or comfortable with the rocks). Overall, it was a great place to go for a day and I’d love to visit again. We got a brochure with a map from the building after the parking lot and outlined exactly where we wanted to go, so I suggest you do that too. Have a great hike!

Good hike anywhere, incredible hike for Illinois... some nice views, gets your heart pumping with some stairs, great for birding, I’m not really into birding per say but I saw tons of small birds, a hawk, an owl and lots more on the river, la salle canyon is the best part

Its a very pretty touristy Trail I didnt see much of anyone and really ever do but look at the time I go . I aint much of a people person when im on a trail so I stay away from them and pick my times according if Im visiting a tourist/Disney Style trail. I always park in down town Ottawa and Backpacked to the 1st Canyon Trail (Horse Shoe Canyon and then pack from there all the way to the end (Visitor Center/Inn/Bar) Then I pack my way back to Ottawa. I do this just about every year . I love winter pack-ins and enjoy camping outside in the winter-freeze(Less people) so this is always a good winter start to my new year. I usually do it sometime in the month of Jan. I stay on the trail( which is frowned on) but I believe and live !!NO TRACE!! so no-one ever knows I was there and thats not saying much because although it is frowned on that I renegade camp this area has got alot of trash from your so-called-nature-lovers who throw away just about everything they carry in on the ground as they walk through this park !!!!!! It makes me so angry!!!!! You came with it so leave with it !! Its lighter now!!! so carry it out! If campgrounds-Trails-Wildernesses-Forests and Parks had trash everywhere people would complain "Dont go there its a Dump!" WELL MY FRIENDS YOU ARE THE REASON IT IS A DUMP. Outside of that rant I really enjoy my 2-half day Pack-in during the winter here and yes as I move along I pick up the trash left behind by others .Its not enough I carry 47lbs of winter backpacking gear on my back I carry a bag of your trash to throw away as well. SHOW RESPECT ,LEAVE NO TRACE!

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Nice trail, but like others have said, terrible trail culture. I think my experience would have been much better had I gone a weekday rather than an overcrowded weekend. Regardless, nice park and enjoyable hike.

Friday, September 15, 2017

A good trail for family. Trails consist of boardwalk and well blazed sand paths good for minimizing lower body impact.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Pretty trail but terrible culture. Huge groups of frat boys blaring music throughout the woods. One guy wheeled out an industrial speaker and was blasting music so loud you would not imagine. Will not return to this circus of a trail.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Nice trails and area to spend the day. Trails are well maintained. Gets crowded. Some areas on trails not well marked, but no way to get lost.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Get there early to avoid the crowds!

Thursday, July 13, 2017

I'm in love with this park

Monday, July 10, 2017

Beautiful hike from the visitor center to Illinois Canyon and back.