Starved Rock and Sandstone Point Overlook Trail

Starved Rock and Sandstone Point Overlook Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Oglesby, Illinois that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Starved Rock trail is a loop trail to the top of a rock outcropping overlooking the river valley and is known for its eagle viewing. The trail is paved and boardwalk with a lot of steps.

Its a very pretty touristy Trail I didnt see much of anyone and really ever do but look at the time I go . I aint much of a people person when im on a trail so I stay away from them and pick my times according if Im visiting a tourist/Disney Style trail. I always park in down town Ottawa and Backpacked to the 1st Canyon Trail (Horse Shoe Canyon and then pack from there all the way to the end (Visitor Center/Inn/Bar) Then I pack my way back to Ottawa. I do this just about every year . I love winter pack-ins and enjoy camping outside in the winter-freeze(Less people) so this is always a good winter start to my new year. I usually do it sometime in the month of Jan. I stay on the trail( which is frowned on) but I believe and live !!NO TRACE!! so no-one ever knows I was there and thats not saying much because although it is frowned on that I renegade camp this area has got alot of trash from your so-called-nature-lovers who throw away just about everything they carry in on the ground as they walk through this park !!!!!! It makes me so angry!!!!! You came with it so leave with it !! Its lighter now!!! so carry it out! If campgrounds-Trails-Wildernesses-Forests and Parks had trash everywhere people would complain "Dont go there its a Dump!" WELL MY FRIENDS YOU ARE THE REASON IT IS A DUMP. Outside of that rant I really enjoy my 2-half day Pack-in during the winter here and yes as I move along I pick up the trash left behind by others .Its not enough I carry 47lbs of winter backpacking gear on my back I carry a bag of your trash to throw away as well. SHOW RESPECT ,LEAVE NO TRACE!

Nice trail, but like others have said, terrible trail culture. I think my experience would have been much better had I gone a weekday rather than an overcrowded weekend. Regardless, nice park and enjoyable hike.

A good trail for family. Trails consist of boardwalk and well blazed sand paths good for minimizing lower body impact.

Pretty trail but terrible culture. Huge groups of frat boys blaring music throughout the woods. One guy wheeled out an industrial speaker and was blasting music so loud you would not imagine. Will not return to this circus of a trail.

Nice trails and area to spend the day. Trails are well maintained. Gets crowded. Some areas on trails not well marked, but no way to get lost.

Get there early to avoid the crowds!

I'm in love with this park

Beautiful hike from the visitor center to Illinois Canyon and back.

The LaSalle waterfall was very nice. Worth a visit.

Well maintained trail but very crowded.

Nice hike, but LOTS of people on Memorial Day Weekend. If you're looking to enjoy nature consider a day with fewer crowds.

Best hike.

Just amazing. It was a bit crowded today and the rain made the trails a little muddy but definitely worth it!

Loved it! A bit crowded bc it's so awesome in the fall, but it's worth it. The cliff sides were so cool!

It was so much fun some of the trails were flooded due to rain the past weeks but over all great time

Some areas are too crowded and too "man made" but great for school aged kids. Beautiful canyons.

Very scenic

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

absolutely LOVE starved rock!!!! sandstone point had a beautiful lookout and we hit french canyon and wildcat canyon before turning around at sandstone point. My three old was tired but we had a blast and have been back mant times!

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Great day hike

Saturday, February 04, 2017

Very nice day hike

Monday, January 16, 2017

Absolutely amazing trail.

Friday, November 18, 2016

Love it here. Nothing beats relaxing in one of the canyons early in the morning before it gets crowded.

Only gripe is there seems To Be more and more lap dogs prancing around on trails lately!

Happy Trails

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Great hike! Just a shame that there wasn't much rainfall for the waterfalls. Winter will be a treat though!

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Go early in the day. The waterfalls are worth every mile.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Best hiking in northern Illinois. Great views any time of year. Waterfalls are mostly wet weather and worth seeing. Well maintained and marked. French and St Louis Canyons are easy hikes with a big return. Starved Rock and Eagles nest offer spectacular views of the river and Eagles in the winter. Wildcat canyon offers a very tall waterfall and a lot of stairs! Lodge offers really really good food, their Gorgonzola Chicken nachos are my fave

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Did the whole thing today, from Visitors Center to Illinois Canyon and everything in-between. So many great sights and one heck of an adventure. Was all really well kept trails until around Hennepin - is much less traveled until ottawa canyon... lots of spiderwebs to run into :). Then the path to Illinois Canyon was really overgrown and muddy. Other than that it was amazing and recommend it.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

don't go on the weekends super busy, lots of family's. it was a nice place to hike and I will definitely go again...through the week though!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

pPerfect place for Fall hiking. We stayed at the lodge as well. Loved it.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Honestly, how could you not love everything about this place? The hike is challenging if you want it to be, and easy if that's what you're looking for. It's great for kids, couples, or solo hikes. Stunning views and the best waterfalls in the state are in this area in my opinion.

The only downside to the park is that it is a popular park, which means there's no shortage of teenage kids playing music on their phones, which is not why most of us are out there. Other than that, I have zero complaints!