Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

SIUE Nature Preserve Loop is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Edwardsville, Illinois that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 291 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: There is a section of the trail that is washed out and you cannot complete the full loop. Fairly easy trail for the most part. Lots of hills, but nothing extreme. Parts go down paved paths by roads, parking lots and dorms. There are a few narrow places right by a drop off and one tricky set of ladder-stairs, but only about 6 feet.

Nice trail if you are in the area, some fun spots that make this trail harder than expected. Have this app w the gps going bc you can lose the trail easily. Trail changed colors 4 times and ended up on a street & side walk once

Trail is not marked at all and has several different paths throughout it. We were only able to follow it using app trail and watching on phone. Frustrating that you can’t complete the full loop because an area of trail is washed out so you have to turn around and go back. There should be a sign up notifying trail users of this. Overall trail has great potential but led to a frustrating day.

Ladder/Bridge has been removed on the side nearest campus. Makes the loop hard to complete without a muddy scramble up the creek bed, a daring log crossing, or some bushwhacking around.

Great easy hike with beautiful scenery but the trail is not marked very well. I’m glad I had the app.

As others have mentioned, the trail is not well marked. We found a shorter path around. The trail was well shaded, which was nice. The honeysuckle is really starting to take over in some parts. It wasn’t too muddy, though some spots were washed out. That being said, it wasn’t anything my 3 and 5 year old couldn’t handle.

Follows a steeply eroded ravine for the most part. Poorly marked and several spur trails but not hard to follow using the app. Lots of invasive scrubby trees makes the trail feel closed in around you. Have to walk on a sidewalk along a road for a small section. It’s just okay but still nice to have a dirt trail in town.

This is a good natural scenic trail that includes some interesting sights. The highlights include steep cliffs that have eroded. Also, a wild combination rope and warped, shifted wood bridge and steep steps going down to the bridge. A huge tree trunk probably dating back to the Civil War Era can be seen as well. Finally, be aware that the entire trail is wholly unmarked, and there are lots of side trails that you can make a mistake quite easily, and veer off of the main trail.

Tougher trail than I thought it would be, but a great workout. Not well marked so it’s easy to make wrong turns.

We love this place. Know though that there are several wash outs and steep slippery places. When we came to a ladder and a bridge that was maybe secure a season or two ago, we bailed out to Bluff Rd and finished our walk on the bike trail. It is a beautiful nature preserve to explore but be willing to make your own way if you need to.

I wo UK ld rate this medium difficulty. The trailhead is behind the log cabin across the street from the stadium parking. Despite the fact we havent had precipitation for a while, portions of the trail were just slightly muddy. Some of those portions were at the edge of a steep cliff or washout. Use boots or hiking shoes with good traction; my minimalist vibram shoes really weren't up to the task.

very poorly marked with changes to the tail due to a ton wash out

This trail is a little gem on the SIU-E campus. There are a variety of terrains along the way. I followed the map on the AllTrails app which helped. It’s not marked very well. Definitely worth doing though. It was overgrown in some areas but decently maintained otherwise. Will definitely hike this trail again.

Super disappointed. Showed up where the gps said I arrived and it’s a nice parking lot but I had absolutely 0 idea where the trail head was. Couldn’t find it. All the reviews said it was poorly marked but I couldn’t even find my way in to start the hike

bridge out

For an "Easy" trail I'd say it was more moderate. I would not suggest for dogs. A lot of ups and down, several washouts and spiders. We didn't park at the beginning because of the construction but it looked like we actually could have. We might do this one again... but there are plenty of others to try first.

Overall loop was fairly easy to follow with the map. There were some identifying markers along the way, but other times we had to check phone gps to make sure we were on the right trail. A few spots look like they have had some landslides with the recent rains and in the wrong conditions could be a little dangerous and other spots the trail was overgrown. The entrance by the residence hall was hard to find from the loop and needed to be marked somehow, as parking is not currently available by the stadium.

Trail is well marked in the beginning however the markings change colors and do not follow the path lined out here. The on-line map is a must. The ladder climb deserves to be pointed out here. This is literally a ladder up on the side of a ravine. Definitely not for young children. The path beyond it was washed out and we had to detour. Also the parking lot is currently closed.

Sun May 05 2019

Shady trail loop that's appealing to walkers and joggers and like-minded naturists. Take the dogs here for outdoor outings but be mindful and clean up after your pooches ;-) #walking #jogging #dogwalks

Sat Apr 20 2019

Sat Mar 23 2019

The trail was nice given its in a location you wouldn’t expect to see loads of nature trails. If you follow the flagging of the trail from where it starts (in my case it was orange) it doesn’t take you on the path shown on this app. There are lots of little side trails and splits where it could have been more clearly marked on where to go.

Sat Mar 16 2019

Beautiful day with Bae on Eville bike trails. Sounds of nature at watershed! Mucho tacos beer y tequila after :)

Fri Mar 08 2019

I only rated hike with 1 star to make sure this would be read. Walked in March. A lot of snow and mud. Missing was signage. My map app took me to Korte Stadium across the street. I was not sure I was on the trail until I came to the latter referred to by another reviewer. It was homemade 2x4's 12 feet and didn't look safe. We turned around and went a different route. There are many paths in these woods. It shouldn't be advertised as a trail. It isn't. It is a nature study area for SIUE students. Don't waste your time.