Silver Lake Boy Scout Trail

Silver Lake Boy Scout Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Highland, Illinois that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.5 mile, well maintained, out & back trail through the woods following along Highland's Silver Lake. The trail runs North into I-70 where it loops back around into the original trail back.

We love this trail. good for all skill levels. and it's scenic.

Not a bad little hike. Pretty lake. Easy.

A hometown hike I should take advantage of more often. 4.5 miles round trip that is primarily an out and back trail with a small loop near the end that stops at the edge of I-70. The trail is along the eastern shore of Highland's Silver Lake between the park and the Interstate. Several little ups and downs as the trail zig-zags in and out of several coves, across bridges and boardwalks. A few small bridges are missing near the far end of the trail. In the past they have been slow to repair bridges and clean up fallen trees, so these can become obstacles. Otherwise, it is a nice, fairly well maintained trail with a decent amount of traffic.

This is a very nice and we'll laid put trail. There are many bridges to cross. Very shady. My dog really enjoyed the hike. It is not a strenuous hike, but very peaceful.

Pretty awesome experience for the family. It was super fun and such beautiful scenery! ❤

It's OK.

We had a great time on the trail on an unusually warm day in January. It took us a little over 2 hours to do the 4 mile loop and my husband and I carried out 1 and 3 year old kids so we stopped a couple times to rest and have snacks. It was a little muddy but not near as muddy as I was expecting. Everyone enjoyed the day.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Good path with decent scenery. The loop at the end can be a little tricky and muddy, it looks less travelled so I'm guessing most people just turn around on the trail rather than following the loop. I do these with my fairly adventurous 7 year olds and they liked the bridges and a couple scattered obstacles.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Needs a little maintenance, but overall a nice trail.

Friday, October 14, 2016

A beautiful view the whole way. Easy to find and follow. Didn't make it all the way because of a high creek and boards that didn't cut it to get across, but still enjoyed it!

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

few deadfalls, otherwise in good condition

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Very nice, well maintained (except where a tree decimated part of what looks like it used to be a seasonal bridge (when it floods). They have done well on this trail. Maybe in the future they can extend it around the whole lake!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

it was pretty easy. I loves it though it was a nice walk through the woods and saw some nice views. pretty quiet. unfortunately it had rained pretty hard the day before so it was kinda muddy.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

For a trail in this area, it was awesome. None of the trails were closed, which is apparently very common around here. Not a hard trail by any means, but a nice walk.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Much harder than expected; we mountain bikes. We did it after heavy rains and roots and bridges were very slippery. The trail was also a bit overgrown, and trees were fallen over the path causing us to carry our bikes over them. Would be great to bike in dry conditions, after it has been maintained. Probably pretty good for hiking as long as you aren't afraid to get shoes wet/muddy.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

I am just getting back into the groove of hiking and this trail was a bit slick but I would have labeled this a moderate trail. BEAUTIFUL walk, however dangerous with a dog on the leash. Trail was extremely thin in some places. It could be bad for people with a fear of hights. If you aren't afraid of a 4-6ft drop into the lake you're good.

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Nice trail. Could use a little maintenance on some of the crossings. Would be nice if there was a sign at the entrance of the park stating which way to the trail. I did like the view of the lake, the forested areas were nice. And there are fake geese and ducks in the water. Overall nice, glad I did it.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Good trail.

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Nice hike along the lake. Nothing extra-ordinary.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Nice accessible trail with good views in winter of Silver Lake. Good opportunity for birding. Trail is shared by hunters, runners, mountain bikers and hikers.