Salt Lick Trail Short Loop

Salt Lick Trail Short Loop is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Valmeyer, Illinois that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and is primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

awesome climb right out of the gate. not at all easy. very cool views at the top. the return part of the loop (east side) is a massive downhill. at the bottom we were a bit confused on where the trail went...saw an armadillo milling around. the trail pretty much ends and you will follow the road to the right, back to the parking lot.

I went on a cold, but sunny day in February. Some spots on the trail were very slick. I wouldn’t say this is an “easy” trail and would not consider this trail kid friendly. (Too many very steep bluff cliffs.) I wanted an easy trail as I am dealing with a pretty sore calf strain. I almost turned around after slipping several times on the fairly steep climb up the bluff the first couple hundred yards. Calf was screaming at me. But I pressed on with my sidekick King. Glad we did. Clearly marked trail. Well maintained. Awesome views! And the second half is downhill! Beautiful scenery and amazing wildlife. Can’t wait to do this in the spring!

My home trail and one of my favorite loops!

Saturday, September 30, 2017