Salt Lick Point Trail

Salt Lick Point Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Valmeyer, Illinois that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Salt Lick Point Land and Water Reserve is a 600+ acre site owned by the Village of Valmeyer. The reserve protects fluff land forests, which provide a critical habitat for unique hill prairies and glades. Beginning at the kiosk in the parking lot, the Salt Lick Point Trail rises rapidly up the bluffs. The trail becomes less strenuous and levels off at times until it reaches Salt Lick Point, the highest point in Monroe County, IL,descends onto Limestone Lane, which you follow back to the parking area.

Gorgeous and great history. Well marked

The views were beautiful, and it seemed as if the flood plain and crop fields went all the way to St. Louis. If you have a one-eyed dog like I do, be careful at the top. She definitely lacks depth perception and saunters right up the edge like she's wearing a squirrel suit in lautterbrunnen. I had to tie her to my leg to get some photos. Very cool trail in close proximity to stl.

beautiful overlook

I decided to go hiking when it was 27 degrees out (what was I thinking?). Regardless, the trail was empty and it was really nice. Depending on which point you decide to enter this trail, will really determine effort. I hiked the Johnson trail first and ended up with a much steeper incline than if I had started at the official Salt Point trail head. However, it was still a great hike and hope to return once the vegetation is green again.

My grandparents had lived in Valmeyer my whole life and I'd never gotten the opportunity to hike any of the local trails. I enjoy hiking but I'm more of an amateur hiker. This trail totally kicked my butt! In the end I was rewarded with the most awesome views and a sense of satisfaction second to none. This trail is absolutely not for beginners but if you're stubborn like me, you can still make it happen. The terrain does change rapidly and it's very challenging. I will be going back!

This was a good trail not too difficult but challenging at parts and had a cool history around it.

Very well maintained trail. It seems like they just recently performed some sort of trail maintenance. The trail is well marked and relatively easy to get around. The terrain does get steep at some points so wear proper shoes. The views are amazing and wildlife is abundant.

It was beautiful. Needed a little TLC, but it is a must if you are in the St. Louis area and you hike a lot.

This is the best hiking trail in the area. It has a lot of elevation changes, good pathways, and an awesome overlook as a reward. I prefer parking in Valmeyer near the post office and starting my loop from the trailhead just south of St Johns UCC. If you start at the church go to the steep climb up the bluffs, jump over to Salt Lick trail, then loop around on Johnson Trail and back to Valmeyer, you will hile just over 7 miles (all very clearly marked...you cannot get lost). My 12 and 14 year old made it without complaints, so while a hard hike due to a few steep climbs, it isn't overly difficult.

I enjoyed this hike very much. Very challenging and worthwhile.

great trail,

This trail was recommended by a friend of mine otherwise I wouldn't have known about it. A truly great experience. The Johnson Trail was a great warm up to get loose before the Salt Lick inclines. The view from the bluffs are gorgeous and there is no shortage of turkey vultures circling above for a good look at you when hiking up top. Only complaint is that I wish it was longer. Not a single piece of trash was found along the trail. Impressive! Can't wait to go back in the Spring!!