Rocky Bluff Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Carbondale, Illinois that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A permit is required to access this trail.

Always good to see after a rain

Peaceful

Nice little trail. Can’t wait to see the waterfall in full force. Nice walk in the woods and a fun trail.

we do this trail all the time. its more moderate in my opinion. lots of variety of views. great option - not uber challenging so all can enjoy it, but still a good workout. in spring, the wildflowers are amazing. in winter, the frozen waterfall is gorgeous.

Good pathways and very pretty area.

Nice trail but would of like to see some of the waterfalls, must be much better in early spring. Got to see deer and lots of mushrooms, lol. Would of liked to of gotten rid of the horsefly that decided to travel with me for the entire length of the trail and all the way back to the car.

Lots of bang for your buck on this hike: two nice-sized and very different waterfalls, unique rock formations, and a really scenic section hugging cliffs above a creek.

My Wife and I hiked this a few days ago. Very beautiful scenery and for the most part a well maintained trail. Disclaimer to those afraid of getting off the beaten path: there were a few areas where trees had fallen across the trail, one that required you to walk about 30 yards through thick woods to get around. That wasn’t an issue for us as we hunt and are used to that but for those that may not be crazy about it, that is a possibility. That being said, they could’ve fell the night before and no one had a chance to clear them. All in all very beautiful we would definitely hike it again. FYI our GPS said it was 3.3 mi. This rates it at I believe 2.2 and their website says 1.7.

Nice trail. It's marked easy. I'd say it's on the high side of easy but we're in our 60's so :). Several rock crossings some of which are probably water covered at times. Some stairs. Very nice though - quiet and peaceful.

Look in the creek on the first mile and tell me that tree doesn’t look like a huge duck

This little trail is a hidden gem. Growing up in the area i had never took the time to walk this trail until here mid-March. I was happily surprised by its small water falls and bluff views.

This hike is great! It is absolutely beautiful in the fall with all the leaves. You will probably see some wildlife. Lots of people do come here though.

It's a nice, easy stroll. The bluffs are all at one end of the trail so depending on the direction you go, you're either waiting to see bluffs or wondering if you'll see any more bluffs.

Great trail. Make sure you get a permit from the Crab Orchard visitor's center.

Really enjoyed the trail. Beautiful

Friday, December 15, 2017

Nice trail that is very well marked. A lot of the trail is just walking through the woods but when you reach the bluffs they are pretty impressive. The sandstone rock bluffs have very unique patterns in them. The waterfall was dry but pretty and I'm sure would be impressive as well if caught after a good rain.

Monday, September 25, 2017

It's a nice trail. I would consider it more of a moderate trail rather than easy.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

9/21/2017. In places the trail wasn't cleared very well. The creek was nasty no lake where they got bluff have no idea . Just not interesting.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Easy enjoyable hike with pretty waterfall if you catch it after a good rainfall.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Beautiful

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

This is a fun trail and Kid friendly - to an extent. It is NOT stroller friendly. There were many times we had to pick up the stroller and carry it over rocky, narrow areas of the trail.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

I hiked this a few days ago with my wife and 2 children (5 and 7). We were the first ones on the trail at 10:30 AM based on all the spider webs we walked through. The first 2/3 of the trail is all trees and forest. The last third is some pretty impressive rocky bluffs, as the name says. The kids were bored until we got to the rocks, then they loved it. The waterfall was dry, but it looks like it would be impressive after a rain. The trail was maintained well enough for us. You could tell they cut the weeds through some of the denser parts. Don't forget insect repellent, we needed it.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Both waterfalls were dry when we went in May. But beautiful hike and not too long.

Monday, June 05, 2017

This is a nice, out of the way trail. It's an easy to moderate hike. It Has some nice rocks to climb on, some stairs and bridges and Lots of overgrown, tall grassy paths. Others have said it's easy to get turned around but we found site maps in place and fairly easy to read. We ended up with quite a few ticks on us, so be prepared for that! I would recommend going, but make sure you have long pants and long sleeves, and bug spray!

Saturday, June 03, 2017

While elevation change makes this a technically easy trail, it's definitely not for novices. it would be quite easy to get a bit turned around since parts of the path are filled in with vegetation or narrow down to nothing and the fact that two paths merge. quite beautiful at points, but a bit frightening if you have a dog that likes to pull at other points. it's a good trail if you can find your way, it just could use some tlc

Monday, May 29, 2017

A nice little hike with waterfall, walk along a stream, bluff, and through wilderness. Turn things over to see salamanders. Also saw several snakes and frogs. Great trail for families with young kids as the length and difficulty is just right. I would rate this a moderate not easy trail.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Very well maintained trail. Went with my kids, 5 & 2 years old and they were able to do the hike no problem. Lots of water features, rocks and bridges that kept them entertained.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Great little trail. Amazing rock formations, views of Grassy Creek and two waterfalls. Easy well maintained trails. Great wildflowers on the lower trail.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

I was surprised when I arrived and there was a sign that said Vehicle Decal Required. It's only $2/day, but you have to buy it 10 miles away at Crab Orchard Nat. Refuge on IL HWY 148.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Fun trail for the family with only a couple slippery spots.