Rim Rock Recreational Trail

Rim Rock Recreational Trail is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Junction, Illinois that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Rim Rock Trail leads around the rim of a rock escarpment before descending a crevice in the rock cliff to the valley floor while meandering through massive rock formations. A wonderfully scenic trail, Rim Rock National Recreation Trail leads around the rim of a rock escarpment, hence its name. Rim Rock has a long history of drawing people to its forested bluffs for hiking and picnicking. In 1980, it was designated a national recreation trail because of its exceptional scenic beauty and historic values. To early settlers this unique formation was known as 'the Pounds,' an old English term meaning "some sort of enclosure." This is how the valley lying to the east got its name, Pounds Hollow. A 7/8-mile trail leads the hiker around the top rim of the "Pounds," which is a circular 40-acre tract of land isolated from the surrounding terrain by steep sandstone bluffs.

Amazing rock formations

Kids all loved it, especially all the nooks and crannies of the rocks.

Enjoyed this trail and as others have said we too ended up in Pounds Hollow! There’s an open area where the very small sign is and we missed it. Not a big deal, we just walked back the same way. But it is an extra half mile each way to pounds hollow. The trail itself is pretty easy with some fairly good elevation changes.

I hiked this trail today. I did end up at Pounds Hollow, but I saw the sign and kept going. There is a sign. It's short, but it's there. I didn't take the street back. I simply went back the way I came, turned at the little sign and finished the trail back to my car. Really nice area.

I have hiked this trail twice and both times I ended up on Pounds Hollow Lake Road and had to hike the highway back to Rim Rock. There are no signs telling you which way to go on the trail. If you get to the beach area, you've gone too far. I love the trail, though. Very beautiful and peaceful. But now that I've found this website and have a map, I know where to go and am going to go back and walk the trail the right way!

Nice trail!

We were camping at nearby Pounds Hollow, which is a great rustic campground. We did this hike on a Sunday morning with some relatives that are pretty inexperienced. Everyone loved it. Make sure you take the steps down off the bluff that lead to Ox-Lot cave. Pretty amazing rock formations, especially for Illinois. In my opinion, this is more impressive than Giant City State Park. We could have spent a little more time exploring, but it only took a hour and a half to complete. If you are in the area it is well worth doing.

Great easy hike...lots of beautiful rocks and neat places to explore. We loved it!

Great rock formations and stone paved path. Very well kept and clean. A short low experience level hike, I had 2 pain in the ass girls with me and even they did fine.

Nice trail. The actual Rim Rock trail is paved the entire way, Which made it nice. There is some climbing and geological site seeing including the Ox-Lot cave. The hike is short, took about an hour, with lots of stops to site see, but didnt seem that long.

A must-see location along with Garden of the Gods.

Not a long hike but a great place to see - lots of great rock formations

Pleasant Surprise! We saw a sign for Rim Rock as we left Garden of the Gods. Beautiful trail.

We really enjoyed this hike. Go down the stairs, that is where all the cool stuff is. Great rock formations and if you keep to the trail past the ox canyon, there is a swimming cove in a beautiful lake. I try to make it here every year.

Nice trail with a cool overlook. Rock canyons are very nice and similar but narrower than Giant City Trail. Took the additional walk over to Pound's Hollow Lake Beach which is really super nice. Skipped the middle trail. The sign in the parking lot only shows the left loop but both loops are a definite must do. The last part of the right loop is a long slow ascent without much flattening out. Gotta go back just to check out the middle loop. Bring water. It was in the high 70's and we drank quite a bit.

Nice, nothing spectacular. Shaded and cool. Enjoyed the short easy hike.

Favorite trail in Giant City

For Illinois this is fantastic, even for other places this hike is still awesome. There are these giant rocks and these stone steps etched into them, but you can climb about them at different angles and there's different ledges. If you walk this trail you'll be satisfied with a good hike!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Stunning and perfect for the winter... There is no foliage hiding the rock formations

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Nice trail with really pretty scenery and super cool rock formations and caves. Took two kids ages 2 and 4 and they loved it. Perfect length for them.