Red River Trail

Red River Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Deer Park, Illinois that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Very easy to get lost. Signs aren't very well posted. And lots stinging nettle everywhere!! If going to do make sure you wear long pants and long sleeves!!! I didn't and I was in pain! I think if I had known in advance and covered with clothes all over I would have liked it more.

Their is a HUGE difference from the Vermillion River Area (Red River Trail) and the Dells area at Matthiessen. Holiday weekend the Dells was nutso so checked out this area. While the map near the parking seemed detailed, it was different than the website map. The trails themselves aren't marked well. We relied more on the help of other hikers on where the trails went. If not, would have been real easy to get lost.
And unlike the Dells area, there are No stairs here, it's all hill getting down to the river area. With that being said, it was a good hike. I love the Dells area and would give 5 stars if the trails were marked better.

Sunday, August 07, 2016