Red Cedar Trail

Red Cedar Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Makanda, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Directions From the north: Take Interstate 57 South to the Route 13 exit (Carbondale - Exit #54B), head west (right) on Rt. 13 toward Carbondale, go approximately 15 miles. Look for Wal-Mart on your right. Turn left at this light (Giant City Road). Continue 12 miles to the south. Giant City Road will lead you into the park. From the south: Follow I-24 to I-57 North, or stay on I-57, to the Rt. 148 exit (Exit #45), head northwest on 148 for approximately 2 miles. Turn left on Grassy Road. There is a convenience store on this corner. Follow Grassy Road for 5-7 miles. Stay left when you come to a Y. Continue southwest on Grassy Road. Grassy Road will come to a T at Giant City Road. Turn south (left) on Giant City Road. Continue approximately 4 miles to the park. From the east: Head west on I-70 or, if you are further south, take I-64 to I-57 South. Continue approximately 50 miles south from I-64 to the Route 13 exit (Marion - Exit #54B), head west on Rt. 13 toward Carbondale, go approximately 15 miles. Look for Wal-Mart on your right. Turn left at this light (Giant City Road). Continue 12 miles to the south. Giant City Road will lead you into the park. From the west: Head east on I-64 approximately 50 miles from St. Louis. Take the Rt. 127 (Nashville) exit south. Continue south for approximately 50 miles to Murphysboro. At Murphysboro, go left or east for approximately 10 miles. You will pass through the town of Carbondale. Watch for the mall on your right. When you see Wal-Mart on your left, this is your light. Take a right here on Giant City Road heading south for 12 miles into the park.

The trail was over grown with weeds and the path started to disappear. We ended up having to turn around less then a mile into it.

Didn't go too far in. Just far enough to setup the Hammocks for the night. But, the trail is kinda over grown once you get further in. And it could use a few more well placed markers. We did see a park ranger walking in on Saturday morning with a weedeater when we were headed out. So they are working on it. Spiders were bad as with any lightly used trail, but I found zero ticks on me. I did spray down with repel first tho. I would go back again in the fall, or early spring. It would be a nice trail.

We turned around and left. Overgrown and spider infested!

This was a good loop that had a bit of everything you would expect while backpacking. A few downed trees, a couple poorly marked blazes, a trail washout, water crossings, mud, hills, and of course...ticks. All in all I really enjoyed the trail. If you are preparing for longer hike or just wanting to hike for exercise, this is a great trail. If you are wanting beautiful views or an easy stroll, it would be better if you chose a different trail. I would suggest walking clockwise, left, south from the trailhead. It has the best blazing.

alltrails has this trail as easy. compared to the rocky mountains or someplace like that, it probably is easy. but for southern Illinois and the conditions of the trail I'm rating it as rugged. lots of brush to bust through and rocky rough trails with alot of up and down hills. plenty of water sources for filtering and a nice campsite about 7.5 miles in. I prefer rough trails but some wider trails and less brush would have been nice. I would recommend this for a fall hike when the leaves change. summer time has too much foliage to be able to see much scenery. all in all, I don't feel like I wasted 14 miles. it was a great workout. I would go back.

Great backing trip! There was plenty of water, the camping was great, and I would definitely recommend it!

Beautiful, but we got lost a million times. Not a super "easy" trail. We went in the dead of summer (training for fall trail race) so of course things were very overgrown, and it was in the 90's :) Be prepared with water, food, and a cell phone! Check for ticks.