Red Cedar Trail

Red Cedar Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Makanda, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Directions From the north: Take Interstate 57 South to the Route 13 exit (Carbondale - Exit #54B), head west (right) on Rt. 13 toward Carbondale, go approximately 15 miles. Look for Wal-Mart on your right. Turn left at this light (Giant City Road). Continue 12 miles to the south. Giant City Road will lead you into the park. From the south: Follow I-24 to I-57 North, or stay on I-57, to the Rt. 148 exit (Exit #45), head northwest on 148 for approximately 2 miles. Turn left on Grassy Road. There is a convenience store on this corner. Follow Grassy Road for 5-7 miles. Stay left when you come to a Y. Continue southwest on Grassy Road. Grassy Road will come to a T at Giant City Road. Turn south (left) on Giant City Road. Continue approximately 4 miles to the park. From the east: Head west on I-70 or, if you are further south, take I-64 to I-57 South. Continue approximately 50 miles south from I-64 to the Route 13 exit (Marion - Exit #54B), head west on Rt. 13 toward Carbondale, go approximately 15 miles. Look for Wal-Mart on your right. Turn left at this light (Giant City Road). Continue 12 miles to the south. Giant City Road will lead you into the park. From the west: Head east on I-64 approximately 50 miles from St. Louis. Take the Rt. 127 (Nashville) exit south. Continue south for approximately 50 miles to Murphysboro. At Murphysboro, go left or east for approximately 10 miles. You will pass through the town of Carbondale. Watch for the mall on your right. When you see Wal-Mart on your left, this is your light. Take a right here on Giant City Road heading south for 12 miles into the park.

This is a really great trail. However listen to other reviewers and take the trail counter clockwise. I chose to take trail clockwise and spent excess time going up hills. I completed trail In 6 hours. I did stop at red cedar trail campground there are picnic tables, fire pits, and bathrooms. Brought quick snack to refuel for energy.

And completed the entire trail in 1 day (6 hours). If time was available I would have loved to spent the night at the campground. I will be back to try this trail again.

I saw several turkeys, squirrels, and birds. No snakes thank goodness.

Some trail tips take bug spray tick repellant. Bring extra water. Watch where you step on the rocks they are slippery. The trail for most part is well marked, there were a few points I had to look @ the map. The trail is marked with white diamond w a red circle. The trail does interloop with river to river trail and horse trail, just make sure to look for those white diamonds because they can be easy to miss if your looking at the beauty of the hike.

fun trail. had to look at the map once or twice, but besides that had a good hike.

Using this as a neutral rating as the trail was closed on 12/2/2017. Hopefully it will re-open soon. Was looking forward to a nice day hike.

This is a great trail for beginners. For the most part it was well marked. It was perfect for a fall hike. I think it would be more difficult in the spring/summer.

This trail was well marked with red circles and hiking in the fall is the perfect time! I would totally recommend this as a great two day hike for anyone that enjoys different scenery every step you go. It was a hiking challenge but nothing dangerous and safe for children which is what I wanted.

Nice trail to hike, especially for a beginner backpacker. Not too much of a distance and the campsite is almost in the middle. There is a decent amount of elevation climb. I did this hike twice and I personally prefer going counter clockwise. Campground has picnic tables and firepits. Camping with a hammock can be difficult, but is doable.

Nice trail hiked to the campsite in the rain which made the rocks a little slick but over all trail was pretty easy to follow. Could use a bit of maintenance cutting some of the blow down off the trail but still not so bad. Was marked very well except maybe two spots but if you go farther than 50yards without seeing a trail marker you most likely are off trail.

I completed the full hike on 8/20/17. This trail is through spider country. Find a 12ft stick to tunnel your way through spider webs that cross the path every 6 steps. I would also recommend tick repellent. I walked though a nest and had hundreds of baby ticks covering my pants. Outside of battling insects, the hike was fairly easy to complete.

The trail was over grown with weeds and the path started to disappear. We ended up having to turn around less then a mile into it.

Didn't go too far in. Just far enough to setup the Hammocks for the night. But, the trail is kinda over grown once you get further in. And it could use a few more well placed markers. We did see a park ranger walking in on Saturday morning with a weedeater when we were headed out. So they are working on it. Spiders were bad as with any lightly used trail, but I found zero ticks on me. I did spray down with repel first tho. I would go back again in the fall, or early spring. It would be a nice trail.

We turned around and left. Overgrown and spider infested!

This was a good loop that had a bit of everything you would expect while backpacking. A few downed trees, a couple poorly marked blazes, a trail washout, water crossings, mud, hills, and of course...ticks. All in all I really enjoyed the trail. If you are preparing for longer hike or just wanting to hike for exercise, this is a great trail. If you are wanting beautiful views or an easy stroll, it would be better if you chose a different trail. I would suggest walking clockwise, left, south from the trailhead. It has the best blazing.

alltrails has this trail as easy. compared to the rocky mountains or someplace like that, it probably is easy. but for southern Illinois and the conditions of the trail I'm rating it as rugged. lots of brush to bust through and rocky rough trails with alot of up and down hills. plenty of water sources for filtering and a nice campsite about 7.5 miles in. I prefer rough trails but some wider trails and less brush would have been nice. I would recommend this for a fall hike when the leaves change. summer time has too much foliage to be able to see much scenery. all in all, I don't feel like I wasted 14 miles. it was a great workout. I would go back.

Great backing trip! There was plenty of water, the camping was great, and I would definitely recommend it!

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Beautiful, but we got lost a million times. Not a super "easy" trail. We went in the dead of summer (training for fall trail race) so of course things were very overgrown, and it was in the 90's :) Be prepared with water, food, and a cell phone! Check for ticks.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Absolutely loved this place! By far the coolest place I've been in the bi state area, hands down. This park offers a variety of trails, all with an excellent payoff. I will certainly be making a return visit with the family.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

I really like this trail! I never realized how pretty this part of Illinois. The leaves were starting to change which made for some great views and it has some technical sections which are a lot of fun.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Most of the trails 'sort of' interconnect via off trail path's. Keep your eye's out. So much exploring to do !!!!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Hiked the Red Cedar Trail today. (7/23/16) It was well marked. I only got turned around a couple of times and it was quickly corrected. The campground is hard to find. You must walk up an electric power pole right of way, in order to find it. Take lots of water. The description says easy. It's not easy. Yes, parts of it are on roads or gravel paths, but other parts are up and down hills. It balances out. I hiked the trail in 5.5 hours. It would be a nice trail to camp on, then finish the next day.

Monday, July 11, 2016

I agree western side not as well marked or maintained. Great day hike

Sunday, May 29, 2016

I love it! Spending the weekend with family! It's beautiful!

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

It's a short trail and not bad in elevation changes. But the scenery is great and we'll worth it since the trail is right off the highway.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Did the Red Cedar trail this winter. It's short on the wow factor that you see in the shorter trails and the river to river in the park, but it's a good walk in the woods. The western side is not as well marked as the rest of the trail and hasn't quite recovered from the blow down a few years back. Plenty of spots to filter water.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

14 mile loop, plan ahead to either pack extra water or purify your own. The far North end leg is cool, except overgrown and tick filled. we did the loop in 1 day but I would recommend making it an overnight trip, camp at one of the campgrounds half way down the trail.

Monday, April 04, 2016

I did the giant city nature trail, the devil's sand table trail, and the stone wall trail. The giant city nature trail is the one you shouldn't miss.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

This was my first backpacking experience, so I was glad to make it to the campsite at the back of the trail. the northern portion of the trail is pretty rugged- lots of hills, lots of bluffs, and lots of brush. Definitely beautiful the whole way. The trail was a bit washed out in a few places, and markers were occasionally hard to spot, but having the map from the visitor's center was really helpful. The campsite is called primitive, but there's three fire rings, a few picnic tables, and a couple outhouses. The southern part of the trail was pretty flat and easy going, and merged with the horse trail for a mile or so. The trail markers were pretty hard to spot and understand after the giant city road crossing, but again, referencing the map helps a lot. All in all, the trail was fun and in good shape. I'd recommend it to a first time backpacker, but not to the average day hiker.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Nice walk

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Very nice , unusual sight ,

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I hiked the 12 mile Red Cedar trail. The trail conditions varied greatly from easy to difficult. Often this trail followed a dirt or gravel forest road used both for hiking and horses. Then the hiking trail would break off from the horse trail. You need to keep an eye out for those forks in the trail. I missed a couple but with alltrails gps I was able to cut cross country and hook back up with the trail.

There was not a great deal of scenery on this the red cedar trail. The trail is approximately 12 miles. I believe my track was somewhere around 11 miles. The miles show on the iPhone app and the miles shown on the website differ.

No major problems other than missing a couple of forks in the trail. The trail is well marked if you are paying attention. Just be careful not to get you head down while on the forest roads and miss the hiking trail branching off of the road.

Not much wildlife on my trip. I did see a couple of deer and one turtle. Be sure and bring plenty of water. Once you have gone a few miles, there really is no water source unless you are prepared to filter water from the creek.

This is a good all around trail.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A lot of sandstone bluffs, caves and interesting topography through out the hike. There are a couple of easy 1 miles loops and other moderate 2-3 mile loops. Stop by the Visitor center- they have a list of all trails.