Red Cedar Trail

Red Cedar Trail is a 13.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Makanda, Illinois that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Directions From the north: Take Interstate 57 South to the Route 13 exit (Carbondale - Exit #54B), head west (right) on Rt. 13 toward Carbondale, go approximately 15 miles. Look for Wal-Mart on your right. Turn left at this light (Giant City Road). Continue 12 miles to the south. Giant City Road will lead you into the park. From the south: Follow I-24 to I-57 North, or stay on I-57, to the Rt. 148 exit (Exit #45), head northwest on 148 for approximately 2 miles. Turn left on Grassy Road. There is a convenience store on this corner. Follow Grassy Road for 5-7 miles. Stay left when you come to a Y. Continue southwest on Grassy Road. Grassy Road will come to a T at Giant City Road. Turn south (left) on Giant City Road. Continue approximately 4 miles to the park. From the east: Head west on I-70 or, if you are further south, take I-64 to I-57 South. Continue approximately 50 miles south from I-64 to the Route 13 exit (Marion - Exit #54B), head west on Rt. 13 toward Carbondale, go approximately 15 miles. Look for Wal-Mart on your right. Turn left at this light (Giant City Road). Continue 12 miles to the south. Giant City Road will lead you into the park. From the west: Head east on I-64 approximately 50 miles from St. Louis. Take the Rt. 127 (Nashville) exit south. Continue south for approximately 50 miles to Murphysboro. At Murphysboro, go left or east for approximately 10 miles. You will pass through the town of Carbondale. Watch for the mall on your right. When you see Wal-Mart on your left, this is your light. Take a right here on Giant City Road heading south for 12 miles into the park.

1 hour ago

alltrails has this trail as easy. compared to the rocky mountains or someplace like that, it probably is easy. but for southern Illinois and the conditions of the trail I'm rating it as rugged. lots of brush to bust through and rocky rough trails with alot of up and down hills. plenty of water sources for filtering and a nice campsite about 7.5 miles in. I prefer rough trails but some wider trails and less brush would have been nice. I would recommend this for a fall hike when the leaves change. summer time has too much foliage to be able to see much scenery. all in all, I don't feel like I wasted 14 miles. it was a great workout. I would go back.

Great backing trip! There was plenty of water, the camping was great, and I would definitely recommend it!

Beautiful, but we got lost a million times. Not a super "easy" trail. We went in the dead of summer (training for fall trail race) so of course things were very overgrown, and it was in the 90's :) Be prepared with water, food, and a cell phone! Check for ticks.

Absolutely loved this place! By far the coolest place I've been in the bi state area, hands down. This park offers a variety of trails, all with an excellent payoff. I will certainly be making a return visit with the family.

I really like this trail! I never realized how pretty this part of Illinois. The leaves were starting to change which made for some great views and it has some technical sections which are a lot of fun.