Pyramid State Park Loop Trail

Pyramid State Park Loop Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pinckneyville, Illinois that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very wide loop trail, used for hiking and horseback riding. Many primitive campsites located throughout the trail for camp in access. Trail loops through strip mine ground covered in hardwood and pine forests, with many lakes of different sizes scattered throughout.

I only rate this as a moderate hike because of the distance. It is a very easy hike. The western side is the best part of the hike. I would hike counterclockwise to save the best for last. several backpack camps all with fire rings and tables. trail is easy to follow if you use their map.

nice for as close to town as it is, easy to get to and not a bad hike unless the ground is soggy

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

I have been to this trail three different times. Ther first two were great! There were streams, a couple little falls, and the carvings were really cool if you could find them under the slight graffitti. The third time I went was absolutally terrible though. It was sometime in August and it hadn't rained in some time apparently. There were absolutally no streams other than the main which was low. No falls becasue of the dryness. By far the worst part, though, was that the entire trail was covered in spider webs. And when I say the whole trail I mean you couldn't walk five steps without hitting another. At one point it was so bad/gross/annoying that I almost started crying in the middle of the woods. I ended up hiking half the hike swinging a big stick in front of me. Also, the only real veiws throughout are the indian carvings and the big stream. Other than that, all three times have been bare treesw, no color, and no wildlife (other than spiders aparently). Sadly I think I got my fill of this trail and won't be returning, but I would recomend going just to look at the carvings. Just go after a little rain.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

I have mixed feelings about this park. The trails were gorgeous and the contact view of different lakes made for an absolutely beautiful hike. Not to mention, the trail was nearly empty. I only saw two other people and they weren't hiking (one birdwatching, the other was running somewhere). I did the full 10 or so miles and it went by very quick. My only complaint, and it's a big one, is that the trails are very poorly marked. I took a wrong turn at a fork and ended up on the highway having to walk along the road back to the park. I could have backtracked, but it would have added several miles to the total. I knew where I was so it wasn't worth it. I'd like to do this trail again, but I think I'll make sure I have a GPS next time. It was only mildly buggy, but I did find 10 ticks on my dog afterwards. All in all, it's worth going here because it's so beautiful, but make sure you have a very good map and are paying attention to navigation at forks.

Friday, June 03, 2016

great horseback trail!

Monday, January 25, 2016

After spending Saturday (01-23-16) hiking Ferne Clyffe State Park, Karen and I had hoped to leave our cabin rental and head to Little Grand Canyon in Shawnee National Forest, but unfortantely the IL Department of Natural Resources likes to close roads when there is snow on them. Not wanting to miss an opportunity to hike somewhere new, we pointed the truck in the direction of Pyramid State Park. What a neat area. This is Illinois' largest state park and was home to several strip mining operations in years past. The area is dotted with small lakes EVERYWHERE. It was unlike any other place we have hiked. There was not a lot of elevation change, and there certain was not alot of rock formations, but the lakes were literally everywhere and that kept us interested.

The trail system was a bit confusing, as there really is not many trail markers with mileage or directions on them, but because this was an area of old mining operations, the trails are old mining access roads; which make for easy walking.

It was a great way to spend some time on a winter afternoon.

Difficulty: Beginner
Ascent: 178 ft
Descent: 148 ft
Max Elevation: 541 ft

Monday, November 03, 2014

Very well kept park. Plenty of signage to find your way around. With major trail being used by equestrians there are some areas that are a bit torn up. Nothing horrible. My dog jumped into a small black pond and came out dripping black stuff. Not sure what it was but it's the second time since we came to Southern Illinois that it's happened. Overall a really good experience.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

We loved the wide trails. Trails were well marked and scenery was pretty. Lots of picnic tables scattered throughout the park in hidden alcoves. A nice day hike!

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Very beautiful area! Trails were well maintained and very exciting to moutain bike! Trails were not very well marked. It was a bit confusing. Overall, this is an excellent moutain bike trail.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Very well maintained trail, used for hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding. Many scenic views along the trail of clear water lakes and wildlife.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016