Pine Dunes Trail

EASY 7 reviews

Pine Dunes Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Antioch, Illinois that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2.5 miles 108 feet Loop

dogs on leash

kid friendly



mountain biking

nature trips


trail running


cross country skiing

horseback riding





wild flowers




The preserve offers gravel trails along with four boardwalks, three scenic overlooks, a drinking fountain, and a toilet. Trails here are open to hiking, bicycling, cross-country skiing and horseback riding. 6:30 amsunset, daily. Pine Dunes features rolling hills and beautiful panoramic views of the preserve's prairie, savanna and oak-hickory woodlands. Pine Dunes is one of five preserves and one state natural area that comprise a 5,300-acre regional trail and greenway in northern Lake County near the Wisconsin border. Described by our natural resource experts as some of the finest rolling topography found in Lake County, Pine Dunes features a pristine mix of prairie, savanna and oak-hickory woodlands, as well as scenic streams, marshes, sedge meadows, vernal ponds and other wetland communities. Approximately 70 percent of the land is upland habitat, while the remaining 30 percent is wetland communities. The Illinois Wildlife Action Plan, Chicago Wilderness, and the Max McGraw Wildlife Foundation have identified these habitats as critical nesting and foraging areas for a variety of birds and other wildlife species.

23 days ago

7 months ago

Very peaceful.

7 months ago

8 months ago

Absolutely love this trail as a beginner runner

9 months ago

9 months ago

beautiful and I'm so excited to always see new forest preserves being added to the system

1 year ago