Pere Marquette State Park Loop

Pere Marquette State Park Loop is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Grafton, Illinois that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great trail. The heavy woods were beautiful. I was hoping for more scenic vistas of the river valley but there were enough look outs to satisfy me. We will be going back again to see how it changes when the leaves drop.

Fun trail with rocks for the kids to climb. Lots of poison ivy just to the side of the beginning of the paved trail. Good viewing area at the top.

The state park here has many options to choose from if you want a shorter hike. I took the trails that ended up being just over 6 miles. There are two inclines that just kicked my butt, mind you it was 115* heat index that day. Overall the trail was challenging and fun. Trail was also marked well.

One thing I wanted others to be aware of is that there are no outdoor fresh water sources or any water along the trails! I took my dog with me, packed over 2L of water and it wasn't nearly enough! My poor dog was dying by the time we reached the end, so I may or may not have let her go swimming in the coy pond. Lol. You can get fresh drinking water inside the visitor center.