Panther Den Loop

Panther Den Loop is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bakers Crossroads, Illinois that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding.

Beautiful! I have always enjoyed hiking here. The only issue I have is a new issue... someone is riding horses through these trails.
This is one of the few trails I have found in this area that does not allow horses. I was very disappointed when I had to start dodging horse crap and massive holes made by horses. This has never been an issue and it makes me sad that Panther Den is being ruined by someone who doesn't have any respect for others.
A year ago I would have given this trail 5 stars, no question.... but it is with a heavy heart that I have to give it 3 stars.

Had to turn around due to lack of markings. Path not clear with lots of intersections.

Good trail up to the primary rock formations. If you go clockwise, the turn off the river to river trail is hard to find. Look for the older style sign on a post. I'd recommend counter-clockwise. It would be easier.

Lots and lots of spider webs. Came home sticky with them even waving a stick.

Back half of the loop is slightly overgrown, but the foot path was clear enough. Guessing most people walk out to the rocks then turn around.

Beautiful rock formations and walk by the creek. Many trails to explore and get lost... App definitely helps (we didn't get lost)

Saturday, April 18, 2015