Palos Orange Trail

Palos Orange Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Willow Springs, Illinois that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Took the dog and it was great, definitely more of a mountain bike trail. But decently challenging either way. If you have smaller kids or a dog stay alert! There are some blind corners and fast downhills for the bikes and you might need to get out of the way quickly. The bikers were polite though. If you’re on foot clockwise is the way to go.

Excellent hike. Great terrain. Beautiful lakes. Get out early to avoid all the bikers.

great hike around lakes

This is my favorite local trail. Single track, rugged trail with good hills. Watch out for tons of mountain bikers. Good tree cover in the summer to protect from the sun. Really nice place to get in a semi challenging hike truly in nature.

My favorite for my skill level.

Hiking gem in the Chicagoland area. Tons of trails so no hike should ever be the same. The trails are grass, dirt, and gravel. For IL, there is quite an elevation change, which I liked. There are several other hikers and many bikers, but trails are wide enough to accommodate all. Views are great, and people are friendly.

Trail is beautiful, and well maintained. A lot of work has been put in to make this a really nice mountain biking trail (jumps, banked curve sections, log rides) so it's no surprise there are a lot of riders. Although I didn't see any other hikers, the riders were very courteous and alert, with great communication. I also went counterclockwise, which helped a lot with bike traffic.

We took the advice from previous reviews and hiked clockwise. Most of the mountain bikers were riding counter clockwise so it was much easier to see them. We passed a mountain bike clinic between markers 19 and 20, but they stopped everyone as soon as we walked up and let us hike through. The trail was well marked and had some elevation. There was a sign saying the trail is only open when dry and could see how it could get very muddy with some rain.

Super cool trail, really pretty...I loved it because it felt very secluded despite other people being there. I would definitely recommend hiking here!

Great place for a morning run. Went around 6:30 am and there were about a half dozen runners and no cyclists.

Nice hiking area, lots of trails to choose from, all the trails we were on provided lots of shade. Only downside is the trails seem to be most heavily used by mountain bikes and on occasion blind corners on a fairly skinny trail were somewhat dangerous, especially when hiking with my dog.

This was my first time to Palos and it's beautiful!! I will definitely be back! I took the fabulous advice of one reviewer who said to run the (orange) trail clockwise. Almost every bike came towards me which was a lot easier to see, and the end of the trail (when you're tired!) is easy in this direction. Heed advice about bug spray.

Great, other than certain hiking trails turn into biking trails without notice. Still, beautiful and not too crowded. Good elevation changes for the rea

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Great trails. Something for all levels. Good for training.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Like many said, it is a very nice trail. Great trail to test some gear and burn calories.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

I use the Palos trail system to keep in shape for more difficult trails . Strap your backpack on and hit the trails. You won't be disappointed with the multiple options the system provides.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

We loved most of this hike - really scenic in the fall and actual hiking for Illinois, with steep parts. We had our dog on leash which was fun. The parts we didn't love were the parts next to the loud roads and a lot of bikers that you are constantly dodging on a very narrow trail. It wasn't too buggy and it was mostly dry. I would consider this entire loop difficult especially for an Illinois trail and wouldn't recommend it for children or large groups (except part of the trail north of the parking lot which is nice and wide).

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I took the orange route - a bit buggy and some areas mushy/muddy after rain but beautiful sites and great for hiking! lots of small trails you have to share with bikers so be sure not to wear headphones. there's lots of hills so you'll be able to hear them coming before you see them.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Great trail and connected to so many other preserves/trails. I did many of the connecting trails... took that offshoot trail south and across 107th. Once you get to the cal-sag there's a decent amount of trash. Going further east there was more and spraypaint all over the trees/rocks. Still a beautiful, just different trail :P. Everything north of 107th starting from here is very well kept. I did not run most of it because it is very uneven or closed in. 5 stars for the trail marked tho.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

I agree with the other people that I don't think this trail should be marked easy, wouldn't want someone going thinking they are taking an easy stroll thru the woods. Horseflies drove my poor dog crazy so we only did a couple miles. A lot of shade which was nice

Friday, June 24, 2016

I tried this trail about 3 weeks ago and got lost but completed it today. Watch the markers by Wolf Road Woods that's where I originally went wrong. I agree with the other comments, I would not rate this trail as easy. It is an excellent workout with inclines. Horseflies are pretty horrible out there but other than that, I really like this trail.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Not sure how this is rated easy because i would rate out difficult. I ran the loop and it is a fantastic trail run with elevation gains; something i would not expect near Chicago.

Also, looks great for mountain biking. Saw some awesome switchbacks.

If you're running, i would suggest a clockwise loop. Downhills in the other directing would be difficult. If you're biking, i would do a counter clockwise loop to make great use of those switchbacks.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

fun and challenging on a mountain bike. Definitely NOT "easy". Should be labeled Hard; in several places the average biker would walk their bike.

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

2-3 mile walk to find nuclear burial site. Lot of paths

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Very fun and challenging

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Great trials! Had loads of fun!!!

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Awesome place, tons of options and
Different difficulties too.

Friday, June 05, 2015

Best for Chicago area by far

Monday, June 16, 2014

Ran Yellow. An excellent mix of surfaces. Only a couple spots with lack of markings, but, otherwise, great! So much left to see!