Owl Bluff

Owl Bluff is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Eddyville, Illinois that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 718 feet Route Type: Loop

From the trailhead just to north of Circle B Trail Head To Owl Bluff

Includes Indian Kitchen.

Beautiful trail! Good workout. A little muddy in places but not to bad. Beautiful scenery, rock formations and forest landscapes. Had a wonderful hike and had no problems following the trail or map. Don’t be afraid to get a little wet or muddy. Bring extra water and food for the journey. I had a wonderful time!

Monday, June 04, 2018

The trail was easy and there were a few pretty sights but I think it would be much more fun to ride horses out here than it would be to hike. The trail is a muddy mess from the horses so if you plan on hiking be prepared to get dirty! My friend and I hiked about 11 miles total, we just followed the trail for several hours and then turned around. Bring plenty of water and lots of snacks! If you’re looking for the Lusk Creek trail that takes you to the water at the bottom of the bluffs you need to take the Indian Kitchen trail that is near the old gas station instead of this one.

Monday, March 05, 2018

This was an awesome trail. Hiked it 2/27. The trail is really easy to follow for the most part. There are a few tricky spots though. I highly recommend picking up the friends of the Shawnee map before hiking this. I took trail 481 to 483 to 457, crossed at the Bowed Tree Crossing and followed trail 001 (River to River trail) to Owl Bluff. After stopping at Owl Bluff, I continued on trail 001. The track on this app does not stay on 001. It looks like they cut through the woods to trail 490. I stayed on 001 until it meets 490. However, trail 490 was very hard to spot from the river to river trail. It’s the only trail intersection I encountered that didn’t have a sign and it kind of looked like an animal trail at first. I passed right by it but I was able to notice so on the map. Once I backtracked a little and found 490, I followed it to 457 and then 486 to Saltpeter Cave. I then followed 481 back to my car. My GPS said it was 9.2 miles with 1000 feet of ascent. It took me about 5 hours so bring water and snacks, but don’t litter! I filled a grocery bag up with trash on my hike. Owl Bluff and Saltpeter Cave were the highlights, but the whole area is filled with beautiful views of Lusk Creek and many ephemeral streams that feed it.

Saturday, January 27, 2018