Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Learn more

Oriole Grove Trail: Jenson Woods

moderate(16)
Lake Bluff, Illinois

Oriole Grove Trail: Jenson Woods is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lake Bluff, Illinois that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 36 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Locally known as Jensen Woods, this 86-acre preserve straddles the Lake Forest–Lake Bluff border and connects two community natural areas. Within Oriole Grove there are 1.35 miles of grass trails, making it a great place for hiking and cross-country skiing. The preserve includes an old growth oak-hickory woodland, which features a large grove of massive bur and white oaks estimated to be over 220 years old. There is also an oak-basswood woodland and two grassland areas with remnant and restored prairie, including “Birch Prairie.”

Awesome wooded section. Lots of spots to get your feet wet if you’re not careful. The bike trail section was a nice reprieve from the slushy woods. Probably a lot nicer without snow.

We only got a little ways down the path with the power lines and turned around. Lots of bikes zooming past you, the paved road and the large power lines killed it for us.

Thu Feb 21 2019

I like this loop. I would class it pretty easy though!

Tue Sep 19 2017

The first half of the trail was lovely. We weren't expecting the last half of the trail to be on a paved bike path under electrical lines (I suppose if I had looked at the map more closely I could have guessed that). The buzzing from the electrical lines was somewhat annoying/disturbing and the paved path is hard on my joints. We'll just make it an out and back next time.

Sun Apr 16 2017