Oldfield Oaks is a 1.7 mile loop trail located near Downers Grove, Illinois that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

Two miles of looped limestone footpaths meander through mature oak woodlands and open prairies, the perfect setting to see coyotes, foxes, and a variety of nesting and migratory birds. Horse traffic is not allowed at Oldfield Oaks. Oldfield Oaks is an excellent example of an intact, mature oak woodland, natural wetland, and restored prairie. With this diverse mix of ecosystems, the preserve is home to a variety of wildlife, from foxes to great horned owls to western chorus frogs. Wildlife conservation activities such as amphibian monitoring and bird counts take place at the preserve.

I go to this trail often because of the proximity to my house. Depending upon which loops you take, you can make this walk anywhere from a half hour to an hour. Because it is at the corner of 87th (basically Boughton) and Lemont, there is a lot of traffic nearby but you only hear the traffic at the very beginning and end of the north loop near the parking lot. North loop features a wooded area with nice peaks of sunlight and a foot bridge; I occasionally see deer but the sight of humans never seems to bother them. South loop is more out in the open with beautiful tall grasses and is very sunny; you can take a path to get to the Oldfield Oaks dog park. It isn’t terribly busy but I will typically see 3 or 4 other individuals or families on a weekend and 1 or 2 during a weekday. The trail is best used for walking, dog walking, and running. Both trails are paved with tiny gray gravel that always seems to find its way into my shoes!

this is a nice, easy little Trail. it's right off I mean Road, so there is Street traffic, and you don't really feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. even so, I was barely 20 feet into the trail, and I was greeted by a cute little deer just standing on the trail watching me and my dog, and the birds are chirping. It's nice little getaway.

I find this trail very easy and empty! It’s best for a walk, but I could see a runner going along the dips on the crushed limestone.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

I love this hidden gem. You can add loops to your hike. I think this trail is best for walking. I especially love late afternoon walks in Fall. My advice- if you live nearby, skip the neighborhood walk and head to the woods❤️❤️

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Love this trail! Only complaint is the western edge is close to the road and you get a lot of traffic noise. Lots of wildlife to see which is my favorite part of hiking. Bring bug spray.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

By far the biggest plus is that is doesn't get crowded. the trail and views are nice. It is not marked the best though. Had to check the gps on my phone once for this short trail.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Easy, calm trail

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Calm, serene, easy trail.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Saturday, March 11, 2017

recorded old field oaks trail

Monday, October 24, 2016