Newton Lake Trail

Newton Lake Trail is a 13.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newton, Illinois that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

To reach Newton Lake Fish & Wildlife Area in Jasper County from I-57 & I-70 take exit #160 at Effingham, proceed east on RT 33 to Dieterich, turn right at the stop light, go south approximately 12 miles, turn left at Newton Lake Entrance sign and go east approximately 3 miles; this will bring you to

The word "trail" is a stretch. More like wandering around the woods lost due to no trail markings and zero trail maintenance. We put in about 16 miles. No one said it, but I know we were all thinking of which group member we would eat to survive if we stayed lost.

I brought my senior dog so I couldn't go more than a couple miles before he got tired, definitely going to come back

great for distance hiked it in the winter. Tried to track path but battery didn't allow . lots of wildlife. just about stepped on a screech owl. Moderate trail depending on condition but a little trashy. Lots of rusting wire and farm equipment on the field borders, kinda ruined the scenic view. The view of the lake ,minus the plant barreling smoke out its stack is quite beautiful. Great trail for practicing distance without worry of getting lost.

Great trail with a little distance. Can be muddy after/during rain. Follows contour of the lake. Wide/well maintained trail, open to hiking and horseback riding only. Bikes are not allowed