Nachusa Grasslands and Franklin Creek State Natural Area Trail

Nachusa Grasslands and Franklin Creek State Natural Area Trail is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Franklin Grove, Illinois. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7/9/17 awesome trail my wife and I walked the entire loop today. Make sure to grab the map at the beginning of the trail because you will get lost for sure. in order to get to the second half of the trail you have to go through water no getting around it, no stones to walk across just calf deep water. the bugs are brutal so bug spray in a necessity. this has the difficulty similar to starve rock maybe harder. would be very pretty in the fall. we will be back.

was a great hike, girl friend packed the little one and the 2 kids so we stopped at the second water crossing and headed back! hope to hit in the fall would be beautiful! !!

It is a nice little trail with a bit of elevation, most people don't go past the first river crossing so the trail is not very well maintained past that point. Not a big deal though. Plenty of trail before the river.

great hike w lots of opportunities to play in the water!

Fun trail! The path is well marked and easy to follow until you get past the first creek crossing at marker 17. It seems that most people don't go beyond the creek. From there, we found many markers were missing, which made navigation a little tough...There seemed to me side trails that were not on the map. Anyway, the creek crossing were fun! There were four creek crossings along the route, and these were all 18" to 24" deep. All of the areas were fast flowing water, but it didn't seem dangerous. The cave was really neat, too! We will be back.

Nice walk, a few fun moments crossing some logs over wetlands (it had just rained). A few elevation changes. Overall with the trip for us.

Very cool app!!!

I've been on this trail many times. It's the other side of old mill road that interest me

easy and serene

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Great trail for hiking, be sure to wear clothing you don't mind getting wet and possibly muddy.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

I absolutely loved it! My 6 year old son loved it my mom had a terrific time there's nature all around you! Passing they the river was fun! Heads up wear shoes passing thru there

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Nice space to visit . We were definitely challenged maneuvering steep steps and muddy trails after much rain. That being said, super peaceful and the river was cool. It was very high so we didn't attempt to cross it with young kids and would return to try it out. The kids really liked the play park at the very front!!

Saturday, June 25, 2016