Nachusa Grasslands and Franklin Creek State Natural Area Trail

Nachusa Grasslands and Franklin Creek State Natural Area Trail is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Franklin Grove, Illinois. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and birding.

Fun trail! The path is well marked and easy to follow until you get past the first creek crossing at marker 17. It seems that most people don't go beyond the creek. From there, we found many markers were missing, which made navigation a little tough...There seemed to me side trails that were not on the map. Anyway, the creek crossing were fun! There were four creek crossings along the route, and these were all 18" to 24" deep. All of the areas were fast flowing water, but it didn't seem dangerous. The cave was really neat, too! We will be back.

Nice walk, a few fun moments crossing some logs over wetlands (it had just rained). A few elevation changes. Overall with the trip for us.

Very cool app!!!

I've been on this trail many times. It's the other side of old mill road that interest me

easy and serene

Great trail for hiking, be sure to wear clothing you don't mind getting wet and possibly muddy.

I absolutely loved it! My 6 year old son loved it my mom had a terrific time there's nature all around you! Passing they the river was fun! Heads up wear shoes passing thru there

Nice space to visit . We were definitely challenged maneuvering steep steps and muddy trails after much rain. That being said, super peaceful and the river was cool. It was very high so we didn't attempt to cross it with young kids and would return to try it out. The kids really liked the play park at the very front!!

This is a fun trail if you like to get wet. The trail follows and crosses Franklin Creek. We hiked in late spring when the undergrowth is just stating to grow but already the nettles were crowding the trail. Because this is a lightly traveled path the trail may be hard to keep in spots later in the summer. We had fun in the creek and the woods. There are several abrupt elevation changes.

Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Wear shoes that can get wet. The streams are not deep, but there are some places you cross that are shin deep. Most places are wooded overlooking the creek. I recently found this place and have been there 2 times this week. Make sure to grab a map when you enter and give yourself plenty of time to get out before dark. The sun sets quickly.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Fun trail. Not crowded and you get the chance to cross streams and stay off the beaten path during a casual hike.