Morton Arboretum and Big Rock Trail

Morton Arboretum and Big Rock Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lisle, Illinois that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 298 feet Route Type: Loop

Dogs are not normally allowed in Morton Arboretum. There are dog days every few months where the arboretum allows dogs to come in. Check their website for more details on dates.

Beautiful hike! And lots of different paths to get your miles in. I hiked almost 6 miles this morning without planning my path. The farther out you hike the less people you see as most stay closer to the visitor center.

Great trail with much to see., Trolls and LEGOs

Sunday morning around 11:30am. Started out at Big Rock Visitors Station and encountered no one on the trail. so it was pretty quiet and relaxing. Great time to go. It was a little damp, so the bugs were out in force despite my application of some deep woods repellent. Nice overcast day in the 70s made for a very enjoyable hike. I recommend it!

I truly enjoyed my time here! If it has rained recently I would suggest making sure to bring extra socks/waterproof shoes since there was a lot of muddy areas when I was there. But that by far did not take away from my joy of moving about. I spent the day here happily going over area three times or more. Great hike, well maintained, and great Arboretum! I will be back again.

Got caught in bad rain, some shelters over in that area would have been very helpful.

Nice hike for a cold day. 3 trolls along the way.

Fri Oct 12 2018

excellent place for families

Tue Oct 09 2018

We took our kids hiking here and Big Rock Trail was perfect (4yo and 7yo). Easy and fun hike!

Wed Aug 08 2018

Always a treat to hike here in the Woods

Mon Mar 06 2017

Lots of trails, friendly atmosphere, well taken care of.

Sun Feb 26 2017

Dog days are the best and so are the lights!! Worth it to be a member.

Thu Dec 15 2016

Best place for hiking

Tue Nov 22 2016

Ended picking dog day to go and needless to say, it was very very crowded. We decided to hike the main trails and it ended up being a very fun experience. identifying the trees was also very entertaining and we hiked a good 3 miles at least, giving my little sister a good workout that she complained about the whole time xD. A nice change of scenery that average Illinois citizens don't see very often. Great to see during the fall for sure.

Fri Nov 18 2016

First time coming here. Was invited to attend the preview Illumination Night. Walked only about 1.5 miles on this night as the other trails were closed. Beautiful area and wonderful trails. Will try and go here on a non holiday season and try and get a few more miles in.

Sun Sep 25 2016

Wonderful place to walk. Trails well maintained. Plenty of wildlife and fauna to enjoy.

Sat Sep 24 2016

Very amazing staff. Wonderful display of trees and rate flora and fauna.

Sat May 23 2015

Even though all the signs on the trail say that no runners are allowed, do it anyway! It was a great trail run on nice trails. Very easy with nature all around you. You are required to pay $14 if you are not a member, but to us it was worth it.

Sun Mar 23 2014

Nice Hike. Easy and doesn't take too long to complete. The Track is well maintained, though I wish there wasn't so much noice from the traffic.

Wed Jan 29 2014

Amazing escape from reality. Even with it's close proximity to 88 it is a tranquil and serene environment filled with well kept trails and scenery.

Sat Oct 19 2013

My favorite place in Illinois. I can't believe that I haven't heard of it before. So much variety and well kept. Will definitely try to go back every season.

Wed Oct 31 2012

My favorite place to go in Illinois. Always worth the price

Thu Aug 23 2012

I have hiked this trail many times in all seasons. I discover something new and amazing every time. The Arboretum is a tranquil slice of paradise. On the far east side of the hike you forget you are in a vast metropolitan area.

Sun Aug 19 2012

ther was great places to take pictures and it was beutiful

Thu Aug 16 2012

Gorgeous all year but especially in the fall. Mostly trees and a few flowers along with some prairie flora. A few ducks, geese, some rabbits, and various birds make up the fauna. Not too expensive to get in and well worth it. Great for families!

Mon Aug 06 2012

If you have your camera with you, the West Trail offers better scenic views than the East Trail. Not many animals or flowers, tons of trees. We will definitely do it again in October. With so many gorgeous trees, I can't wait to see the fall colors. Bring a water bottle with you. Once there, water it is only available at the visitor center, and a 250ml bottle costs $4.00.

Sun Dec 04 2011

Always a beautiful hike. Love the pine grove.