Mill Branch Trail is a 1.9 mile loop trail located near Ozark, Illinois that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 121 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

very well marked with red diamonds

Dad and 3 kids enjoyed this hike. Mom not so much. Beautiful area with stream cutting through the rock. The kids 8, 5, and 3 (3 year old was in a carrier) had fun scrambling up and down the rocks. We had a couple of leaf races down the runoffs. Mom is the uncoordinated cautious one. Therefore, she spent most of here time yelling at us. All in all great hike. Normal wooded trails, but also some rocky areas. Unique area.

Great trail but there was no info at the site about where the trail started. An obvious trail off the left looks like the MIll Branch Trail but it's not. You must continue straight from the parking look across the creek/small pond and then you will see red trail markers for Mill Branch Trail.

second time I've been on this trail. some people were swimming near the parking area. this time I went in August. The creek was still running and it's still beautiful. wildflowers and peaceful. follow the Red trail about half a mile to see the stunning area!

Sat Apr 20 2019

go ahead and plan on getting wet before you even start the trail cuz you have to cross a 20-foot Creek after that there are some slick spots but but the views are wonderful depending on what time of the year you go there is water flowing are you constantly hear the water rushing and now are several spots to take pictures and lunch around the corner and come back there is a place you can sit and have lunch

Fri Mar 15 2019

I loved this trail. I went in January so there was some ice on the glacier rock and in the spring I'm sure it's very slick! There had been rain so the water running from two directions into a single "pool" and the crevices in the stone is amazing. I absolutely plan to go back.

Sat Jan 05 2019

One of my many favorite hikes in Shawnee...especially after a good rain.

Mon Oct 29 2018

Wonderful Trail! So much to explore and to see. I really enjoyed hiking this trail along with the other joining trails. Will be hiking this trail more and more!

Wed Oct 10 2018

The least of the trails at Bell Smith, but does have some nice scenic areas along the creek. I hiked counterclockwise.

Mon Jun 04 2018

Beautiful trail! There are a couple spots where the markers are difficult to see but we found them after a few minutes of looking closely. Be careful if you go out when the weather has been rainy, a couple people in our group slipped by the creek.

Fri Jan 26 2018

Beautiful. Be careful in winter. I slipped on the rocks a few times.

Mon Oct 23 2017