McKinley Woods Loop

McKinley Woods Loop is a 2.7 mile loop trail located near Channahon, Illinois that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice quick trail in the woods with a river over look..... very small forest preserve but nice place to get out for a little while. Canoe access on the I&M canal and shore access for fishing on the river. Some parts with steeper elevation but overall very easy hike.

About tennis ball spiders crawling all over you and your stuff so you cannot stay still for too long. There were also millions of them.

Its a nice place, lots to explore but not really as hard as some others get.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

This place is amazing! highly reccomend!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Beautiful day! Trails were in dry and in good condition. Moderately challenging. We saw a baby deer, but couldn't see mom!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

I live in Channahon, I hike to this location several times per week. I don't know why it's rated HARD. Unless you have joint problems its pretty easy. It's a peaceful and usually quiet area where I've seen tons of wildlife, Blue Herons, Egrets, Hawks of all kinds, songbirds, deer and a lot of different water snakes

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Muddy. peaceful awesome....find the bench.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Excellent day of hiking. Did the trails listed first. Natural trails, great taste of nature. Then i did the I&M Canal Trail down to the north McKinley woods preserve. Excellent place, paved trails, prairie restoration on the island, but also trails into the woods a bit. Lady in the nature center filled my water bottle with her cold bottled water back in the office. That's an automatic 5 stars :). Excellent for bird watching, hiking, biking. I recommend!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Don't forget your bug spray! My only complaint about this trail is there is a lot of overgrowth in some areas so it can be slightly difficult find the trail. There are no trail markers so you more or less walk til you come out of the woods. I ended up following a trail but it didnt lead me anywhere near my car and I had to walk the road to get back there. Plusses are lots of wildlife, and nice rough terrain.

Thursday, August 01, 2013

This is our go to place. I really enjoy the woods even saw deer this last time. With all the rain the mosquitoes are crazy right now. Make sure you bring spray.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

NIce easy trail, well-maintained. Plenty of parking and a good look at Dresden from the river. Plenty of birds along the way.

Friday, June 07, 2013

Nice trail that connects to the I+M Trail Network. I was surprised to see some decent short single track and double track.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Very easy trail next to I and M canal. Lots of wildlife, pretty outdoor scenery.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

I love this park, probably because I have visited it many times over the years. There are some nice trails, woodsy, hilly. You are right by the Illinois and Michigan Canal and the Illinois River. You often see deer. There are the remnants (mainly foundations) from an old CCC camp. there is also a lovely, small shelter.

Sunday, September 24, 2017