McKinley Woods Loop

McKinley Woods Loop is a 2.7 mile loop trail located near Channahon, Illinois. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and walking.

This place is amazing! highly reccomend!

Beautiful day! Trails were in dry and in good condition. Moderately challenging. We saw a baby deer, but couldn't see mom!

I live in Channahon, I hike to this location several times per week. I don't know why it's rated HARD. Unless you have joint problems its pretty easy. It's a peaceful and usually quiet area where I've seen tons of wildlife, Blue Herons, Egrets, Hawks of all kinds, songbirds, deer and a lot of different water snakes

Muddy. peaceful awesome....find the bench.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Excellent day of hiking. Did the trails listed first. Natural trails, great taste of nature. Then i did the I&M Canal Trail down to the north McKinley woods preserve. Excellent place, paved trails, prairie restoration on the island, but also trails into the woods a bit. Lady in the nature center filled my water bottle with her cold bottled water back in the office. That's an automatic 5 stars :). Excellent for bird watching, hiking, biking. I recommend!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Don't forget your bug spray! My only complaint about this trail is there is a lot of overgrowth in some areas so it can be slightly difficult find the trail. There are no trail markers so you more or less walk til you come out of the woods. I ended up following a trail but it didnt lead me anywhere near my car and I had to walk the road to get back there. Plusses are lots of wildlife, and nice rough terrain.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Sunday, February 08, 2015

Thursday, August 08, 2013

Thursday, August 01, 2013

This is our go to place. I really enjoy the woods even saw deer this last time. With all the rain the mosquitoes are crazy right now. Make sure you bring spray.