New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Maple Lake

Maple Lake is a 9 mile loop trail located near Willowbrook, Illinois and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.0 miles Elevation Gain: 688 feet Route Type: Loop

Today was fun on this trail but it was super muddy and you aren’t supposed to use these trails when muddy. I didn’t realize this until I already was a little over half way back though :-/.... these are nice challenging trails with gradual inclines that make for good exercise. Not too far from Chicago! I only saw a couple other hikers and I didn’t see any mountain bikers..

Nice trail. Very muddy/wet. But hey, not bad for the end of December-57°.

WARNING: This is a combo of Palos trails (Orange, Blue, etc) that don’t link up at points and the trail on map doesn’t always line up with an actual trail. The app helped, but due to its length phone died and then good luck! But the hike itself was nice. Also it took me 4 hours without stopping other than to take drink of water

Love this loop.

Excellent trail outside Chicago. Perfect escape to hike and picnic by the lake. Many mountain bikers but super friendly to hikers. Trail is rocky but perfect for trail running. It reminds me of the trails in TN.

the trail was about 2 miles longer than the app claimed there was a lot of mountain bikers which by the way if you're into mountain biking this would have been a great Trail and there was bugs a lot of other trails set away from it so it was easy to get off Trail I followed the GPS but overall it was an excellent Trail

Not great hiking. It does seem to be the closest thing to “hilly” terrain we have in the Chicago area though. You will spend a lot of time dodging mountain bikes.

Good variety of trails. Pretty well kept. Maps along the way as well as markers at intersections. Can spend all day here!

I would recommend to all mountain bikers. If you hike just be aware that there are mountain bikers. I loved the up and down terrain. great practice for those who want to prep for a backpacking trip. Note: You can pitstop at the Bullfrog lake campground for toilets and water.

Another great hike and done in under an hour.

awesome trail,rocky,some bugs.very good hike.

it was a very good hike some portions of the trail were challenging but great!!

Nice and relatively secluded. Hiked the trail after it had rained leading to a pretty muddy hike. When I hike this trail again I will wait until conditions are less muddy.

Love it

Mon Nov 26 2018

Hiked the trail the day after Thanksgiving 2018. The beginning is easy, but about 2 to 3 miles in the directions got murky. We sorted it out, and ended up in on the Forest Preserve Orange Trail that was clearly marked with posts and maps. The way is forested with easy variations in terrain. The mountain bikers we encountered were pleasant and courteous. Definitely worth doing again.

Thu Jun 28 2018

I will be back to this trail. It’s a good place for mountain bikes. I enjoyed myself here. The view of Maple Lake is nice and it’s quite.

Sun Apr 29 2018

by far my favorite running trail in the area!

Mon Sep 25 2017

I'm new to the photography world. So I go to random trails, I literally fell in love with this one, it's very beautiful.

Sun Aug 06 2017

Good trail, however the trail gets extremely narrow at many points. This becomes a problem due to the frequent mountain bikers that pass by. It almost felt like hikers were unwelcome. I would avoid bringing children or elderly people on this trail. The constant leaping out of the way could cause issues.