Lowden-Miller River Loop Trail

Lowden-Miller River Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Oregon, Illinois that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

First, this is NOT an easy hike. It should be marked as moderate. Paths are natural, not paved. There is quite a bit of elevation change for IL especially on certain paths. The highest elevations in the park are sandy ridges and can be a little like walking in dunes.

This is a pretty rustic hike- no toilets (none that I saw) and no benches or picnic areas (none that I saw). Not to mention that I didn’t see another hiker for the entire time I was out there.

Make sure to take a photo of the trail map before you start hiking. There are sooo many more paths than this app shows.

Be careful during Fall and Winter, because hunting season opens. Trails are open during bow hunting season and are closed for firearm season.

I was hoping to see more of the Rock River, but the overgrowth blocked the view. The woods are pretty. I was surprised to see how different the vegetation is in such a small area. Along the river there is a lot of traffic noise, but more inland it was quiet and peaceful.

Mostly double track in the park. Many miles here to get a lot of training in. There are some good hills towards the middle of the park. Make sure to snap a photo with your phone of the park map, and use that to help guide you along the way. There are numbered markers throughout the park with maps on them to orient yourself. Great place.

Nice elevation changes, nice relaxing walk.

Awesome forest!! Way cooler than lowden across town by Blackhawk. We will be spending this summer hiking the entire forest and learning every nook and cranny of it. We found an old barn/farmhouse on this trip. I can't wait to see what we find next!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Monday, August 15, 2016

The kids and I enjoyed our adventures here. This place is large with picturesque pine trees that make for a beautiful canopy. Trail markers are numbered which we believed was helpful.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

easy trails. not much elevation changes

Saturday, October 06, 2012

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

tall pine trees,hills, bluff and cliff along the rock river this place is pretty big

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

wonderful place close to home.tall pine trees

Sunday, April 08, 2012

one of my favorite places to hike