Lowden-Miller River Loop Trail

Lowden-Miller River Loop Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Oregon, Illinois that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is my favorite place to go at the moment. It's big with lots of trails, it's secluded, Ive only ever seen 1 other person here during bow season, and it's pretty easy and relatively flat.

Things to keep in mind: it's not a park, there's no tables shelters and few if any bathrooms.

The bugs are bad. Swarming nats and mosquitoes. I have to use a bug net sometimes.

First, this is NOT an easy hike. It should be marked as moderate. Paths are natural, not paved. There is quite a bit of elevation change for IL especially on certain paths. The highest elevations in the park are sandy ridges and can be a little like walking in dunes.

This is a pretty rustic hike- no toilets (none that I saw) and no benches or picnic areas (none that I saw). Not to mention that I didn’t see another hiker for the entire time I was out there.

Make sure to take a photo of the trail map before you start hiking. There are sooo many more paths than this app shows.

Be careful during Fall and Winter, because hunting season opens. Trails are open during bow hunting season and are closed for firearm season.

I was hoping to see more of the Rock River, but the overgrowth blocked the view. The woods are pretty. I was surprised to see how different the vegetation is in such a small area. Along the river there is a lot of traffic noise, but more inland it was quiet and peaceful.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Mostly double track in the park. Many miles here to get a lot of training in. There are some good hills towards the middle of the park. Make sure to snap a photo with your phone of the park map, and use that to help guide you along the way. There are numbered markers throughout the park with maps on them to orient yourself. Great place.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Nice elevation changes, nice relaxing walk.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Awesome forest!! Way cooler than lowden across town by Blackhawk. We will be spending this summer hiking the entire forest and learning every nook and cranny of it. We found an old barn/farmhouse on this trip. I can't wait to see what we find next!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

This is a great hidden gem a couple of hours outside Chicago. The terrain is really easy, but the over growth is amazing. You can completely loose yourself (not get lost, cause the trails are clearly marked) in a variety of trees and open prairie. Plus it is almost completely devoid of people, so you don't have the overwhelming feeling of no escape like Starved Rock. I have been hesitant to write this review, as I do not want the tranquility to be lost... but this is a place that has to be shared.

Monday, August 15, 2016

The kids and I enjoyed our adventures here. This place is large with picturesque pine trees that make for a beautiful canopy. Trail markers are numbered which we believed was helpful.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

easy trails. not much elevation changes

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

tall pine trees,hills, bluff and cliff along the rock river this place is pretty big

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

wonderful place close to home.tall pine trees

Sunday, April 08, 2012

one of my favorite places to hike

Tuesday, May 30, 2017