Little Grand Canyon Trail

Little Grand Canyon Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pomona, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 459 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

partially paved

There are a couple of places where you have to climb down into the canyon through the creek bed. It can be slippery and difficult when the creek is flowing. Must have good footwear for this trail. Beautiful trail, but the technical aspects are why it is rated as difficult. Follow the white blazes and hike when it is drier outside and you should have a more "moderate hike" experience.

Excellent trail. Overlook to the canyon was great. I hiked the sunrise, and was not disappointed. The hike down and back to the river bed was challenging given the technicality but physically not too tough. Will try again in winter with some boot spikes.

The trail is well maintained and there is no shortage of blazes to follow. My friends and I hiked a few days after it had snowed (an inch or so) and encountered some heavily iced spots where you climb down to the canyon floor and where you climb back up. The last time I hiked here was about 11 years ago and the lookout was so overgrown there was nothing to see, thankfully that wasn’t the case this time. The lookout is beautiful and you can see for miles.

Wonderful trail, especially once you get down to the canyon. I highly recommend traveling the trail clockwise, the views of the canyon, waterfalls, etc are better seen from this direction. Trail is quite difficult at points, you will need to use your hands to crawl over some slippery rock faces and use hand-holds carved into the rock in one spot. If your balance is compromised it is a bit treacherous. Some of the stairs cut into the rock are quite tall, perhaps 30 inches or so, by going clockwise you go up these rather than down them.

We hiked this trail for the first time today with our 10 year old daughter and our dog. The trail was in good shape except for a few isolated patches at the bottom which were expectedly muddy. The hike down into the canyon includes some slippery rock sections but with a little care they are easily navigated. We followed the route in the all trails app and started out from the lower section of the parking lot. That section of trail is steeper on the way down but easier to walk in that direction than coming back up that way. The hike back up to the parking lot is less steep. All in all we really enjoyed our hike. It took under 2 hours including multiple stops for pictures. Not sure how this would be after a lot of rain but it’s been mostly dry for about a week so there was very little running water in the canyon.

We enjoyed this trail. It was our first time. Some areas were hard, but my husband was there to lend a hand.

I had hiked this trail when I attended SIU-C in the early 80s and loved it. Today I hiked it again, 30 plus years later. It did not disappoint. The trail was well marked and the trail was easy to follow. Traversing the canyon sections was challenging but fun. Perfect weather didn’t hurt either!!! Will be back to hike again sooner this time!!

I went there late Oct. beautiful fall colors. No falls, but some water running in the creek areas. the trail is gorgeous, my hiking stick is helpful though. wet areas are slick and there's a lot of "up and downs". I love this area.

Beautiful trail going either direction.

I really love this trail. We went on a beautiful Saturday in October and the parking lot was full! Fun to see so many people out enjoying it. We went clockwise: the first mile was wide and clearly visible. It led to an overlook. The next mile or so is narrow, but not steep or difficult, the next mile was a combo of flat wooded areas and a steep but very doable climb up a waterfall. The last .5-.8 miles is pretty steep, but wide and paved-ish. All in all a great time. It was mostly dry, with the exception of the lowest parts of the creeks. We didn’t have to get wet at all. My 4 year old walked all of it except some of the steep parts at the end when she convinced her dad to carry her on his shoulders.

recorded Little Grand Canyon Trail

flooded

Great trail. there are sections going down and then again going up, that are steep, rugged and slippery. We took our time and my wife needed quite a bit of help (we're both pushing 70) but we made it. We saw a young girl slip but luckily only bruised here ego. Wear good shoes or boots and bring a hiking stick (or sticks). It is well worth the effort. There is a section of the trail down the bottom that is still under water. With little effort you can bushwhack around that section.

Great trail. Well marked but I would not recommend going off trail. Lots of snakes. Water Moccasins mostly. Heavily traveled by many friendly people. I hike with my dog and this trail was very challenging for her due to the smoothness of the rocks we had to climb up and down in the canyon. She was scared a couple of times and had it not been for a great family, I would have had to turn back. I will definitely be back.