Little Grand Canyon Trail

Little Grand Canyon Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pomona, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

ice climbing

From Murphysboro, take Highway 127 south 6 miles to Etherton Rd.; then west 6.4 miles.* From Alto Pass, take Highway 127 north 8 miles to Etherton Rd.; then west 6.4 miles. * From Murphysboro Work Center office, take 20th Street south 1.5 miles to Hickory Ridge Rd.; then south 5.5 miles to the site. * At this point follow the directional signs.

Definitely wear the right boots. I thought my Merrell's would have good traction but they were awful and it made the rocks difficult to maneuver.

This time of year has too much foliage so the views weren't as good as I hoped for.

I'd go back though.

My third and final hike in 3 days and definitely the most challenging and shortest of the 3. I would say moderately difficult. If you are doing the loop make SURE you wear hiking boots. You will need them to ascend/descend rock faces. If you plan your steps you will be fine, but you could potentially seriously hurt yourself if you don't maneuver correctly. I got turned around and ended up coming back the way I entered rather than ending up at the exit at the lower parking lot. There is a short trail that heads down from the main(?) overlook that offers a great view of the area. Make sure to bring water AND bug spray. I had some cutter but the chiggers STILL devoured me. Very little traffic for a Monday. I only saw 5 people on the trail and I spent 2 hours on it. No heavy waterfall action, but I reckon it had not rained in several days. I would hike this again but next time I will wear hiking pants. The trail doesn't have a bar, but there is one down the road a couple of miles. Unfortunately it was closed on Monday. I did find one about 7 miles or so on the Highway 3 called the Duck Inn which was basically in the middle of nowhere. I earned my beers on the LGC trail. Enjoy

Very pleasant trail to hike with plenty of shade

Lots of variety in terrain from woodlands to rocky canyons. Beautiful overlooks at the western point of the big switchback.

I did enjoy it, but after years of hearing about it and reading reviews, it fell short of expectations. I would like to come back when the leaves are down to see more of the topography.

loved it!

We took the 2 mi trail from the parking lot to the vista point. the first part of the trail is relatively flat but the second half is a rather steep downward trail. It's of course steep going back up and you need to be ready for that. This doesn't have anything to do with the trail but the restrooms were absolutely disgusting. Make sure you don't need to use them when you're there.

Great hike. Easy walking with a couple of waterfalls to hike up and down which would rate it moderate.