Little Grand Canyon Trail

Little Grand Canyon Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pomona, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

ice climbing

From Murphysboro, take Highway 127 south 6 miles to Etherton Rd.; then west 6.4 miles.* From Alto Pass, take Highway 127 north 8 miles to Etherton Rd.; then west 6.4 miles. * From Murphysboro Work Center office, take 20th Street south 1.5 miles to Hickory Ridge Rd.; then south 5.5 miles to the site. * At this point follow the directional signs.

Good for scrambling practice

Beautiful, well marked trail. Love the combination of ridge walking and waterfall climbing.

Hiked it with my kids (twin 6 year old). Completed it in 2 hours. Everyone loved it. Trail is very well marked. I would rate it as moderate in difficulty. Kids liked the adventure of the climbing.

This is my favorite local hike. Overall it isn't difficult, but there are some areas that are a bit difficult. I recommend good hiking sticks. We took a cheap pair once and came out with a broken finger when the pole broke. Twice I have seen hornets so I also suggest taking an epi pen if you are allergic. You have to climb down and back up the rocks/waterfalls so be careful when it has rained.

That park rocks! Not recommended if you aren't sure-footed.

What a fun hike! It was my husband's first hike and now he's hooked. This trail is invigorating and fun. The descent and ascent on the rock beds made us feel alive and safe in a way that's hard to describe. We also loved that there were walking sticks left by previous hikers as the were very necessary. It felt like we had friends on the trail looking out for us.

I'm glad to see so many still enjoying these trails. I am the guy that made them. I worked as a crew leader back in the 70s and we did the work on all the trails in the shawnee. My crews laid out the trail , we carved those steps in the rock creek bed, we built the bridges. We used a wheelbarrow to carry gravel around the trails.I spent 11 years making all of them, some of the best years of my life. It does my heart good to see them still appreciated! Many of the local kids had a hand in building them thru the YACC and YCC programs . I loved being the crew leader to these folks. Thanks again for promoting these great places in the Shawnee :)

At first I thought the hike was a bust and I was missing something, because for some time, the trail was an easy gravel path to the lookout.... but that quickly ended when I started descending and it was well worth the drive! There's quiet a bit of climbing involved but some time to relax with a stroll through the forest. Real fun hike with so much to see. I especially liked that the trail was easy to follow.

Beautiful area! Great hike with plenty of scenery!

overall not all that difficult, parts of it were difficult going up and down the revene because the rocks were wet therefore making them slick. but the rest of the trail wasn't hard.
I would recommend hiking poles and boots for the revene though. pretty muddy overall.

Good. Hard

We did this hike last summer with our dog Artemis. He was only 7 months at the time. The trail was great! A little confusing as we don't live in the area and did not realize you had to make your way down the ridge and instead we made our way into the forest where the trail disappeared. We followed the river bed back to the path down into the ravine so it wasn't too bad of a detour.

The scenery was beautiful! There was some climbing involved as you make your way down, but nothing that was too strenuous and nothing Arty had any problem doing alone. There was even a part there it becomes very steep and you have to climb with small stepping foot holds. I was sure I was going to have to turn around and have him lifted to me by my husband but as I made the first few foot holds, Arty bounded right up after me no sweet.

Definitely coming back to visit and do a few more of these trails in the area!