Little Grand Canyon Trail

Little Grand Canyon Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pomona, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

There are a couple of places where you have to climb down into the canyon through the creek bed. It can be slippery and difficult when the creek is flowing. Must have good footwear for this trail. Beautiful trail, but the technical aspects are why it is rated as difficult. Follow the white blazes and hike when it is drier outside and you should have a more "moderate hike" experience.

Was a great hike, this year was the first time I hiked it during winter. Personally I enjoyed this trail better during this time period. The frozen waterfalls off the bluffs, and being able to see more exposed rock face. You just don’t get that when the leaves are on in the warmer months just made it for me. Highly recommend.

I'm hesitant to write a review, as the trail is getting trashed from over-use, but this really was an excellent hike. I took my 5 year old daughter and she loved it. It was the first trail she's hiked without being carried once, and we completed the whole 3 mile loop in 4 hours. (That should give you a good measure of the difficulty). Right now the trail has a lot of icy spots, so I would recommend bringing a walking stick or trekking poles to help with balance on the canyon descent and ascent. Please practice good trail ethics. Pick up after your dog, don't leave trash, don't pee in the middle of the trail and leave your toilet paper marking where you peed, and be mindful of the effect your boots are having on the trail when wet. Leave no trace.

At times as you proceed down the trail in the wet, rocky canyon, it is so steep that it looks impossible. However, the next step and handhold seem to appear at the last moment. I wouldn’t want to do the trail if it was raining.

It was a great trail a little hard because of the ice in the way of where you had to climb. I would definitely take a hiking buddy with me.

The snow and ice were melting making the trail very soggy today but it's a lovely hike.

I wouldn’t say this trail is “hard” maybe moderate. Nonetheless still one of my favorite trails to hike. Be extremely carefully when going through the canyon as it can get very slippery. There are cut out steps but can be hard to see at times. Trail is very well marked and normally pretty easy to find if you head off. There is another waterfall off the trail about a quarter mile from the base of the canyon, but I’ll leave it to you to find it.

Nice trail. Good workout. There are a couple of places where you have to climb down into the canyon through the creek bed. It can be slippery and difficult when the creek is flowing. We went after a couple weeks with no rain which made it less slippery. Must have good footwear for this trail. Beautiful trail, but I understand why it is rated as difficult.

This is definitely one of the hardest trails I have done. My adcice woyld be to make sure you go prepared in comfortable shoes and have water. you will not get much reception there. elevation drops qyickly. pay attention to the white diamonds on the trees that show you the path to go. absolutely beautiful.

awesome scenery and views. trail was well marked and easy to follow. the climb in and out of the canyon was the most difficult part of the trail.I would only do this trail when it's been dry for a while as the rocks will be very slippery when there's been rain. It took about two and a half hours.

I would have to say this hike was a little difficult due to the very slick rocks in the bottom canyon. Decided to turn back. Wasn't interested in any bumps, bruises, or broken bones.

good workout. found it challenging with the ups and downs

So I typed out this long review and the app just like decided it was shit so it deleted it.

My S.O. and I hiked it for the first time today and enjoyed the more rugged part of the trail. I wish I wasnt so lazy and id go back into detail about how much we loved it, but I'm not rewirtting my original review so here are the tips my s.o. and I have come up with.

1. Trail markers are kinda confusing if you arnt paying attention. So just follow that white blaze and you'll hike great.

2. DONT I repeat do not hike this trail if there will be ANY type of downpour. This place is literally half flood plain, you will get stuck and honestly it can turn into a very dangerous situation fairly quickly. Be smart guys, waterfalls are pretty but I bet your life is way cooler

One of the most varied and unique hikes I've been on in Southern Illinois. Good footwear and caution is a must for certain parts of this hike.

Wonderful trail fun obstacles and beautiful scenery!! if you like hands on hiking you have to hike this!! Don't go in Summer full of snakes and mosquitoes.

Absolutely beautiful hike

what a wonderful hike to go on.

Great hike. Clear, paved trails leading in and out of the canyon. Incredibly beautiful scenery down in the canyon. Plenty of cool rock formations and caves with a few little waterfalls. Exactly what I was looking for, never felt lost, perfect length and plenty of time in the canyon.

Definitely wear the right boots. I thought my Merrell's would have good traction but they were awful and it made the rocks difficult to maneuver.

This time of year has too much foliage so the views weren't as good as I hoped for.

I'd go back though.

My third and final hike in 3 days and definitely the most challenging and shortest of the 3. I would say moderately difficult. If you are doing the loop make SURE you wear hiking boots. You will need them to ascend/descend rock faces. If you plan your steps you will be fine, but you could potentially seriously hurt yourself if you don't maneuver correctly. I got turned around and ended up coming back the way I entered rather than ending up at the exit at the lower parking lot. There is a short trail that heads down from the main(?) overlook that offers a great view of the area. Make sure to bring water AND bug spray. I had some cutter but the chiggers STILL devoured me. Very little traffic for a Monday. I only saw 5 people on the trail and I spent 2 hours on it. No heavy waterfall action, but I reckon it had not rained in several days. I would hike this again but next time I will wear hiking pants. The trail doesn't have a bar, but there is one down the road a couple of miles. Unfortunately it was closed on Monday. I did find one about 7 miles or so on the Highway 3 called the Duck Inn which was basically in the middle of nowhere. I earned my beers on the LGC trail. Enjoy