La Salle Canyon

La Salle Canyon is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Deer Park, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

My favorite of the Starved Rock trails

Easy but decent number of stairs. Beautiful waterfall

Lots of beautiful foliage, flowers and plants blooming right now and the greenery is heavenly right now! We were lucky enough to experience a light shower with thunder rolling and the Canopy of trees was already thick enough to buffer the raindrops. I just wish the trail was a bit cleaner in spots, there’s lots of garbage that needs to be picked up near the river.

Love it! I plan to come back in winter time.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

This was our first time at Starved Rock and we were able to do a couple trails during our visit, this being one of them. It was me, my wife, our 10 year old and our two boxers. We were there in mid-June (2017), on a weekday, so it wasn't crowded at all, however I heard it can be on the weekends. LaSalle canyon can be accessed from a longer hike, beginning at either of the Starved Rock Park ends, however it's most directly/easily accessed by parking at Parkman's Plain, which is right off of 71. There's a parking lot there with easy access to the river trail. The trail begins in a heavily wooded area by trekking down numerous flights of wooden steps, which ultimately lead you to the river trail. It's a wide, shaded trail that runs along side the river. After going alongside the river for a bit, there are clearly marked signs that indicate where to branch off to see LaSalle canyon. Once you reach the canyon, you'll be swept away by it's beauty. Gorgeous rock formations complete with a waterfall you can stand under or walk behind. The water also flows along the graded canyon floor, creating a natural waterslide. Upon exiting the canyon, you have the option of going a different route along the river trail to continue your exploring, or you can simply go back out the way you came.

recorded st louis canyon