King Hollow Trail

King Hollow Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wolf Lake, Illinois that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, horses, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Godwin trail is a US Forest Service trail the crosses the Clear Spring and Bald Knob Wilderness areas of the Shawnee National Forest and is 6 miles in length. One trail head is on Pin Hill road above the LaRue Ecological area. This trail is also part of the River to River trail (RTR) that is 160 miles long running from Grand Tower, IL to Elizabethtown, IL on the Ohio.

I hiked this trail as part of a loop with the Godwin Trail and the Hutchins Creek Trail. It was a really quiet trail. The trail was not too bad to follow, but there were a couple of parts where the trail seemed to disappear, so make sure you bring a map and compass or GPS. There had been rain the day before my hike, so there were several little streams where I could filter some water. The junction with the Godwin trail is really easy to find, but the junction with the Hutchins Creek trail was really hard to find. I managed to find it eventually, but be prepared to do some searching.

King Hollow Trail is a Forest Service trail that starts off the Godwin Trail. This is close to the river to river trail system. check this website out for detailed maps and information. http://rivertorivertrailhike.com/ No great scenery, but very quiet. Trail was in pretty good shape. But keep your map and compass handy as it isn't well marked. I didn't see anyone else on this trail. no water source till the end at the creek. I started on the east Godwin trail head and hiked west to the King Hollow trail. Hiked a mile east on King Hollow and camped off the side of the trail for the night. Hiked the rest of King Hollow in the morning. The end of King Hollow ends at one of the forks of Hutchins Creek. There is supposed to be another trail on the other side of the creek. I was trying to do a loop, but I couldn't the entrance, so instead of turning around, I bushwhacked and followed the Creek back down to the Godwin trail and hiked out. There is another trail that I ran into following the creek. It went along an old homestead, and you can see old farm machinery and an old car. I think most of these trails were abandoned roads from the 30's. Anyway there was a decent trail system in the two wilderness areas. I am going to make another trip down to explore the other trails i didn't hike on.