Julius J Knobeloch Woods Nature Preserve Loop

Julius J Knobeloch Woods Nature Preserve Loop is a 0.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Belleville, Illinois that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We enjoyed it. Our first hike with kids.

Nice little walk with the kids for their first hike. Went in late winter/early spring so new growth and animal tracks to point out. Very limited parking and a couple trucks flew by when were getting out.

We went in the winter. Nice little walk in the woods. Don't use Google maps to get you there. It kept sending us through a subdivision. Pay attention. There's a sign and you'll have to park along the road.

For bein' in flat ole Illinois, this trail's got some ups and downs to it. I enjoyed it very much. Quiet, peaceful, tree breathing! I clocked it at .75 mile.

Not an easy place to find, if you're not paying attention. I think "nature preserve" is the Illinois Department of Natural Resources says "park without parking." If you're using Google Maps, be sure to use the address in AllTrails rather than the address that Google tells you.

Not a bad little hike if you're in the area and looking for something quick and easy, but really nothing to particularly recommend it. Perhaps there are usually wildflowers, but we didn't see any at all. Of course, we didn't see all the poison ivy that was reported below either, so I guess we broke even.

This trail is covered with Poison Ivy! I took my grandsons and turned back when we reached the loop. The Poison Ivy is so thick, it is impossible to avoid.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Lovely walk under huge white oaks in karst unndelayment. Trail skirts a couple of sink holes. Wish I was a birder to identify all the calls. Phenomenal in early spring with ephemerals, especially bluebells. Wonderful for a short day hike until late spring when the poison ivy encroaches on the trail.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Short loop through the woods. The trail curves downhill toward a creek and pond, crosses the creek (muddy after recent rain), then back up hill to the start. My GPS maps the loop just shy of .75 mile. Only major downfall to this hike is parking. Roadside parking only has room for two vehicles.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

An enjoyable woodsy hike, but can have lots of poison ivy in season. Recommend this trail in early Spring before it gets too thick.

Saturday, February 18, 2017