Inspiration Point Trail

Inspiration Point Trail is a 0.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wolf Lake, Illinois that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

The Inspiration Point Trail offers a panoramic view of the Mississippi River valley and the Big Muddy bottomlands and is well worth the climb. Wildlife is abundant with bird watching at a premium. For safety, carrying a map, compass and plenty of water is recommended. Be aware of hunters during hunting season. Also, be aware of the dangerous cliffs. Poisonous snakes and poison ivy are present in the area. The trail tread may become slick when wet.

One of my favorite hiking/refresh places for my soul.

I would not waste my time to go back here. The access roads were terrible. My group actually started to call this trail, disappointment point. It's possible that we somehow missed the great viewing spot that others found, but all we saw was a trail littered with beer cans and a view of the bottom land through a ton of brush. We were clearly standing on the highest point in the area. When you get on Pine Hills road you will quickly come up upon a trail head that is not named Inspiration Point, so this confused us and we moved on up the road. The next trail head was named Inspiration Point. The two trail heads are the same trail, but different names on either end, so if you park at the bottom, you are not at the wrong location.

After viewing some gps photos it appears that there is a beaten path from the high point that goes down the bluff slightly and opens up more for a clearer view, but it just looked like random path to us. One would think the best view would be from the sign on the high point, labeling the area as Inspiration Point.

Time it to catch the sunset over looking the Mississippi River

Properly named trail as it was an amazing view at the top. Being able to see the swamp below and watch the train go by in the far distance and knowing how far that span was gives you perspective. I drove 5.5 hrs from Davenport Iowa to do this hike and photo snake road. Can’t imagine being on snake road during the peak of the migration.

Great view

Fantastic views

what a view. spiders not so much. great advice for the stick. it came in handy. whole trail is a beautiful walk top to bottom. if u do not want spiders then go to top entrance just to see the point.

Beautiful view over the Big Muddy and Mississippi plain and the swampland below. Be careful on the loose gravel heading down to the point.

Great view from the point. Unfortunately there is trash everywhere and rocks at the overlook are all spray painted. People are disgusting, literally the trash ranged from beer bottles to bloody feminine hygiene products.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Great view but there's always too many people.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Nice view. We drove the gravel roads from Alto Pass to get there. Not sure I would do that again.

Monday, May 08, 2017

One of the nicest views I've seen in Illinois. I highly suggest taking the Muddy Levee Rd instead of the Scatters Rd unless you have a decent all-wheel or 4-wheel drive vehicle. Took a all-wheel drive 2010 Forester and it did not handle Scatter Rd as well as I thought it would.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Wonderful vista and really cool trees. You can see for miles around. Beautiful flowers on the rode there.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

One of my favorite short hikes in the Midwest. The view from the bluffs was beautiful and enough to give me a bit of an adrenaline rush as there were no railings or fences so I could go right to the edge where it's a few hundred feet straight down.
As others noted, Muddy Levee Rd is very rough. However, if you're coming up from the south, Pine Hills Rd is as good as unpaved roads get and is a beautiful drive through the forest.

Monday, January 23, 2017

Short easy hike. Muddy,Rough road getting there. A geo metro passed us up top so must not be as bad as I thought. Beautiful view.

Monday, November 28, 2016

Short, easy trail. It's quite a drive but it's definitely worth it for the view.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

One of my favorite spots in my home state.
The hike was short and simple and offered great views of Southern Illinois wetlands that you just can't experience anywhere else.
On the way out there were blackberry bushes that made for a great snack on the way out.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Awesome view!

Monday, February 29, 2016

Beautiful scenery.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The view is great! The climb to get to it is super easy! Overall, great experience.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Awesome view!

Friday, January 23, 2015

been here a lot, nice short hike but slippery talus slope to the point, just past the 2x4 handrail. Rangers probably prefer you do not find it as it could be dangerous. Second best view in Illinois. Nice animals, garter snake and vultures, go in the winter for no ticks. We hauled out a few trash items and left it very clean. Suggest that you save the flip-flops for your cool pool party as the trail has no doubt caught a few people by surprise, easy walk with difficult slope to point.

Monday, October 06, 2014

Inspiration Point is a good hike that offers a panoramic view of the Mississippi River Valley just west of the Clear Springs & Bald Know Wilderness areas. We made a 1.5 mile out and back instead of the .75 trail that goes thru an impressive forest comprised of poplar, white oak, maple, and hickory trees. Be aware of windy conditions atop the bluffs. There is a narrow ( and dangerous) path to a very large rock overlooking the bluffs.