Indian Point Trail

Indian Point Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Harrisburg, Illinois that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Indian Point trail works its way through pine forest transitioning to hardwood timber before reaching the crest of the hill overlooking the surrounding valley. From there you descend below the bluff looping back to the trailhead passing many large rock formations. The short trail offers great overlook of the surrounding valley, very scenic rock formations as you follow the bluffline and after you descend below the bluff. Nice easy short hike for about anyone and plenty of scenery to be of interest to all.

Hidden gem in Illinois. Well worth the time to explore this and other hikes at Garden of the Gods.

Nice easy trail with some great overlooks and neat rock formations. Saw people camping but we just did a day hike and combined it with Garden of the Gods and Rim Rock. All nice trails within 10 miles of each other

My favorite trail at GOTG! Not too short or long and has the BEST views in the park! You can also camp right off the trail here.

Very cool trail. Caves, unreal rock formations, and a great lookout point. I would advise to do this before going to the Garden of the Gods observation area, just because Garden of the Gods is the best scenery in the region. Do yourself a favor and let the excitement build up by doing this trail first before going to the Garden of the Gods.

Hidden surprises

Not a bad little trail to do with the family. I love the overlooks, but the lower part of the trail at the base of the bluffs has some neat caves and crevices.

Beautiful scenery and easy to navigate. Great for kids and adults. Take some food and have a picnic!

Nice trail with awesome views and small caves to explore!!!

These are the kinds of trails that so many people miss. Absolutely beautiful!

An often overlooked trail. Most folks opt for Garden of the Gods, which is very nice. But, Indian Point offers nice vistas and big rocks and much less traffic!

Excellent hike to overlook straight out and then go left to circle back and see awesome rock formations with a couple cool caves. I prefer this over observation trail for sure. Lookout point is great spot to eat, have snack and enjoy the scenery.

For me personally this is better observation trail. Not as crowded still magnificent views caves. Some back pack camping places available.

Another short and easy trail, still plenty of traffic. Nice spots at the midpoint to sit on the rocks, overlook the view, and have a snack or eat lunch.

This was my family's first backpacking trip. We planned on going clockwise on the trail, but we missed the first fork. We ended up taking a left at a trail where a log was sawed in half across the fork in the trail, but that fork apparently bypasses the Indian Point view at the southernmost leg of the loop. We did happen upon a fire ring at the top of the bluff and a nice site for camping right in front of an evergreen forest. Plenty of downed trees meant plenty of firewood at this site. Most people passing by were descending to the lower trail to explore the rocks and caves, but we enjoyed the view and our campfire from up above. Picked up a couple pieces of trash near our camp, but that was all we found. Overall, it was a wonderful first experience for me and my family and we look forward to many more backpacking adventures. We will definitely visit Indian Point again to explore the lower trail. One more thing, the AllTrails app was very helpful for letting us determine where we were on the trail. No phone reception, but somehow it worked on my wife's iPhone (she was able to get the trail map), but not on my S6. (We both have T-mobile.)

Very nice well kept trail. Clearly marked, however this app was very helpful for following the trail.

good wide paths, dense evergreen woods, and great views from a height.

nice easy trail.

A beautiful trail. Starts and ends easy, with a moderate section in the middle. IMO, it should be rated as moderate as to not mislead novice hikers. Great places to explore in the rocks and caves along the bottom of the cliffs. Great views from the top.

Love this short trail. After the crowds of people at Garden of the Gods only a short distance away, this felt like a welcome respite that may be overlooked by the people flocking to the main attraction one hill over. I actually enjoyed my hike here more because of the lack of people.

Lots of fun. Short hike, but you can make it longer by exploring in and out of the rocks and "cave like" areas. Great scenery at the top. It took us about an hour to hike in and out.