Indian Point Trail

Indian Point Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Harrisburg, Illinois that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Indian Point trail works its way through pine forest transitioning to hardwood timber before reaching the crest of the hill overlooking the surrounding valley. From there you descend below the bluff looping back to the trailhead passing many large rock formations. The short trail offers great overlook of the surrounding valley, very scenic rock formations as you follow the bluffline and after you descend below the bluff. Nice easy short hike for about anyone and plenty of scenery to be of interest to all.

Excellent hike to overlook straight out and then go left to circle back and see awesome rock formations with a couple cool caves. I prefer this over observation trail for sure. Lookout point is great spot to eat, have snack and enjoy the scenery.

For me personally this is better observation trail. Not as crowded still magnificent views caves. Some back pack camping places available.

Another short and easy trail, still plenty of traffic. Nice spots at the midpoint to sit on the rocks, overlook the view, and have a snack or eat lunch.

This was my family's first backpacking trip. We planned on going clockwise on the trail, but we missed the first fork. We ended up taking a left at a trail where a log was sawed in half across the fork in the trail, but that fork apparently bypasses the Indian Point view at the southernmost leg of the loop. We did happen upon a fire ring at the top of the bluff and a nice site for camping right in front of an evergreen forest. Plenty of downed trees meant plenty of firewood at this site. Most people passing by were descending to the lower trail to explore the rocks and caves, but we enjoyed the view and our campfire from up above. Picked up a couple pieces of trash near our camp, but that was all we found. Overall, it was a wonderful first experience for me and my family and we look forward to many more backpacking adventures. We will definitely visit Indian Point again to explore the lower trail. One more thing, the AllTrails app was very helpful for letting us determine where we were on the trail. No phone reception, but somehow it worked on my wife's iPhone (she was able to get the trail map), but not on my S6. (We both have T-mobile.)

Very nice well kept trail. Clearly marked, however this app was very helpful for following the trail.

good wide paths, dense evergreen woods, and great views from a height.

nice easy trail.